The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how many people are getting fed up with the job there sts are doing in wheat? the grain losses off the rotor are sickening. where does the wheat that piles up on the rear axle coming from john deere dealer seem to think its ok. i don't. or is this the usual thing where i'm the only one having a problem.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Could you give us some specifics on concaves,filler plates(and positions),accelerator,feeder speed,rotor,concave clearance,and all other settings?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I run 9760 & 9750 in hard red spring wheat and both machines we set about the same 1000 rotor, 1050 on the fan,concave anywhere from 10-20,feed acc high and our crops are 50-70 bu, at about 3.5-4 mph with a 30 ft draper. Loss has never been an issue on either the rotor or the sieve.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Greenreseeder, what are you running for sieve settings? I find Roter loss alot of the time is caused from excessive clean grain in the return.

·
Registered
148 Posts
For one thing, fan speed is way to low.....grain will just ride out with the chaff, hence grain on axle. This is a mistake many operators make....they figure that if there is grain coming over the back, its gotta be to much wind, when in fact its the opposite.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
I don't know how you can do that Kris, If I ran those spacings I'd have 10 to 20 alright, % unthreshed loss in the head that is, I never ran more than 3mm spacing and 0 when threshing conditions were hard.
And always tighten the rotor belt to achieve 1100 no load.

Don

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Here's my combine logic. If I've got a really clean sample (in Durum anyway) with a Deere any Deere your probably pukeing grain out the back. If your trying to win the dockage award at your elevator it's costing you money. Open them sieves and crank the wind.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
you are better to run an sts with a 'gap' and keep them full don. kris is right, concave should be about 10-20 in wheat and let the crop thash against itself, not the steel of the concave. no wonder you burned so much fuel at 1100 rotor and the concave shut.

F

·
0 Posts
bundybear, In my experience with any other brands of combines Case Gleaner and Massey, In conditions much the same as Dons, If you run a slow rotor speed and open concave, you will be running more out on the ground. Tight and fast seems to be the way to go to get all the white caps out of the sample. On the wind side of things its a balancing act depending on where you have set your chaffers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Settings of 10-20 must be in winter wheat , I can't thrash under 10 in some of the new varieties of spring wheat that I grow!

·
Registered
148 Posts
This post is a hoax I think. The guy just joined a few days ago, and from his other post or answer to one, I believe he is just a kid trying to stir the pot. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hard red spring in Canada is extremely hard to thrash typically. Hence the tight concave settings/fast rotor. If we try to run the concave over 5, sample goes to heck as the crop is rarely evenly thick enough to keep the combine full at any speed sometimes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Don I to have had to run the concave tight at times but it seems to be more of a variety problem than anything,so we have choosen more easier thrashing varities to combat this. We use 3 small wire concaves with the front one having 3 filler plates installed,and on the back we have the blanks in the seperator grates 3 rows on one side 2 on the other. Most of the time dockage is .8 to 1.5% at the elevator. I could see using atight clearance if we had sawfly or drought problems but what a waste of capacity and fuel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is no hoax. we run two combines 9770 and a old style 9760. the old style rotor run less losses than the bullet in our conditions. we find any concave settings over 5mm u leave the grain in the head and higher rotor losses. rotor speeds over 900 the wheat gets carried right though the machine. we windrow all our straw so it is easy to check the machines losses. when we do a loss check in the windrow the right side of the windrow always has extremly high amount of grain loss. it is from the wonderful deflecters on the discharge beater. maybe my expectations are to high with these machines. the whole idea of combineing is to put it in the tank! ground speeds of 1.5-1.8mph are less than productive! don't kind ur selfs we are green though and through and ran sts since they we introduced in 99. were are at the point wandering if there is something better!

·
Registered
367 Posts
That, at least, is an easy one. Yes, there are certainly bigger combines out there that offer much greater capacity and will put more grain in the tank - that has been proven time and again. You say you are green through and through. Ultimately, you may have to ask yourself if it is more important to be loyal to a color, or if it is more important to be profitable, productive, and efficient. If you can open up to look at other brands, then you will be amazed at just how much better some of these other combines are. Yes, I know, STS's work fine for many people, but so did the Model T. Was it the best performance car ever? Probably not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what is an acceptable loss!!! 1 2 3 4% who sets these standards. its embarassing to drive by the fields in our area a month after they been combined and u can sure tell the ones that push there sts! some get an early start plantin next years crop! the conditions where we farm are far differant than the conditions in the west. that is no doubt why there are so many differances in peoples opinion as to settings. people have to get of there asses and look at the jobs there acually doin instead of just drivin thinkin there doing a heck of a job!

does any body have grain piling up on the shield that protects the cleaning fan shroud on the underside of machine. right behind the front tires under the combine. i have yet to see one that hasn't. whats the solution to fix this problem. i can clean ours off, combine a round in the field, and its full again definitely leaking from somewhere?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Quote:does any body have grain piling up on the shield that protects the cleaning fan shroud on the underside of machine. right behind the front tires under the combine. i have yet to see one that hasn't.

well you haven't seen mine then. that is a sign your fan is way too slow. i gather you are not happy with the grains sitting on the combine. what does it look like on the ground? you are not going to put 100% of grain growing in the field into your combine tank, no matter what color it is.

Quote:its embarassing to drive by the fields in our area a month after they been combined and u can sure tell the ones that push there sts!

if anyone combines a field with any color and dosen't check then they only have themselves to blame. i have never continued to cut a field with a combine when i am not happy with its performance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'd say if you have grain around the fan, your bottom sieve isn't open enough or the shoe is being overloaded. Talking about fan speed, you can have a fan that is up to speed, but won't move the right volume of air. Cutting in green material puts a coating on the fan blades and slows the air down. If the fan is blowing grain out the back, the loss monitor won't pick it up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts