The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This got sent into dtac but no response yet but I have 2 new 9770 sts combines. Both with 800 metrics, identical. First combine does 18.2mph, 8.6mph and 4.5mph in the 3 gears. Second combine does 28.1mph, 12.7 and 6.5 mph. Can that thing haul a$$ down the road or what?
I guess it isn't supposed to but sure is nice for moving fields. Scared something might break in the long run so will use first gear for combining in field until it gets figured out.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
you might have got one with a gearbox designed for australian conditions. my 60 series does the same speeds as you stated in 1st and 2nd but does not quite hit 28 in 3rd...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i and everyone i know combines in second. but our crops are not what you guys make. say here average year, average cutting speed could be as high as 12-14 klms/hr or 9+ mph. i have cut 10bpa wheat flat out in second gear before. off course heavier crops, irrigated wheat means cutting a whole lot slower.

being faster also makes them 'weaker'. i cut some wheat a few years back in hilly (for us) land and could not cut in second as the combine wouldn't climb the hills with a full grain tank.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Prodrive.

You can climb your steepest hills while accelerating, it is very impressive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First off, does the one actually go faster down the road if you leave at the same time? If not check the settings in the command arm, its probably in metric, I have seen a few show up this way, if you do the math on the speeds you said it was going I think this is the solution, or you have a fantastic Prodrive!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it says mph not kmh as that was my first thought until you wind it up on the road. Not familiar with the Prodrive as not sure what it means,, will have to check

·
Super Moderator
3,467 Posts
Prodrive is only on 9870's. It's a 2 range IVT setup.
If it is an AUS tranny I thought they only went faster in 1st and 2nd?
If those were mine, I'd say fix the slow one.

Don

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i followed a cpl of 9870s down the road with my grain truck the other day...had 2 go 40km/hr to keep up..i was amazed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check the hydro motor (bolted to trans) you will find it to be smaller than it should be. The one that goes faster has a motor for a single tire 9570. The small motor large pump combo is what is causing the higher road speed. Had this same problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You were correct, they changed the hydro motor today saying it was too small and was for a 9570, The new proper one is larger and is heavy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Make sure your tire size is entered in correctly......that could be the issue. We usually swap off duals for singles, and sometimes they forget to change the tire size. Same thing happened to us this year...I thought we had a super fast machine....nope, lol.

Can someone tell me how to do this on a 60 series sts. Is it radius, or diam?

thx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts