The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, at work we had the 9770 upper pulley go out on the variable speed header drive. it is the one on the left side of the machine just before the front wheels. how much should those zerks be greased?? i had been putting 8 pumps in everyday, and when the dealer tore it apart he said the cavity looked dry and what little grease was in there looked black. we're using the HD poly urea (the "good") grease. the dealer told me the zerk that feeds the center of the drum cavity could probably use 20 pumps or so, but i forget which zerk that is.

as your laying under the machine looking at the left side tires, the zerks are at the bottom of the drum. i think he said the zerk on the left (toward the back of the machine) should get more grease. im thinking as your looking at it, the rotation is clockwise, and with the zerks at the bottom of the drum, it will be the "leading" zerk. is this correct??? the book says nothing about how much to grease them, it only tells for the front drum, at 12 and 2 oclock, 8 pumps and 2 pumps respectively. pictures with arrows would also be helpful, just to make sure i get the right zerk! but any help is greatly appreciated.

the 9770 has about 1,000 engine (700 sep.) hours, and we have 2 9670's with about 400 engine hours, and one old 9660 with 1,900 engine hours, and i dont want this to happen again. we only have 50 of 6,300 ac. of corn and 555 of about 2,000 ac. of beans to finish yet and we're done harvest for the year!

9770 runs a 16 row gerringhoff, sometimes a 1293 deere and 635 hydraflex.

9670's run 893's or the 1293 and 635 hydraflex's.

9660 runs 635 hydraflex pretty much just in beans.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
are they 635 or 935 hydraflex's??? for the life of me i cant remeber now....its been a long harvest season!

and does anyone understand why the grease intervals are so low?? 50 hours we do everyday, and 400 hours we do every week. it seems to me deere should have a central grease bank by now and have 50 hrs be daily and 400's be weekly.

·
Registered
400 Posts
635 Hydraflex

is the geringhoff a rotadisc?, or northstar?
how is the corn, yield?, moisture?

i know that the rotadisc take a lot of power, especially if it is 16 rows. that variable drive is maxed out on capacity. which would be the reason for burnt grease. the only way that those variable sheaves can be overgreased is if there is grease being slung out onto the belt. i'd be greasing both front and rear sheaves a couple times a day

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh yeah, 635's. its a northstar. the boss is really pleased with the job it does on the fodder. yield is kind of all over the place, from 150-260, moistures stayed high, with not much under 20%. and we had been getting into alot of down corn with all the wet weather we've had.

the deere mechanic said there could be a problem with it locking up if you over grease it?? it was over the phone and was hard to understand, but thats what i thought he said. i have noticed on the heads that it looks like grease has been thrown onto the heads, so the front drum is getting plenty of grease. i'm just surprised the rear drum was so dry. but i suppose 10-12 hours of running a 16 row head can do that.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i'm guessing that not only is the corn wet, but the stalks are also wet, takes a lot more power than normal.
reading some info in dtac, it says to discourage customers from using other types of grease. says they can become hard and ineffective.
TY6341 and TY25744 are the only greases recommended for variable feeder house drives

1 - 5 of 5 Posts