The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need an unbiased opinion on this one, so please keep your color preference to yourself. Our farm has been a long time green supporter, well until I've come into the mix this past year. I prefer to look at the numbers and not the color of a machine (except yellow and silver). The JD dealer has offered me a '09 9770 and the Case dealer a '09 8120, both at the same dollar figure. Mr.JD is telling me that a 9770 will run with the 8120 (8010), just wondering if they are talking from their rear, because I look at the specs and the red one looks like a lot more machine for the money. I should say that we farm in Northern Canada and do combine in tough conditions (HRS wheat, canola, dry field peas, barley, oats). After looking at both machines up close, the 8120 does look a lot simpler and less to go wrong. One plus of the JD is that we've always had amazing service and parts availability from them and the case would be a little uncharted water for us (dealer seems to be good). Just wondering if anyone has a comment or two on are our situation.

·
Registered
894 Posts
For the same dollars? Interesting. If so, then go with the 8120, it is a significantly larger. As far as simplicity goes, I wouldn't let that be a concern.

I would go and sit in them both, have the dealer walk you around them, talk to local owners who run each or ones very much like them, etc.

What interests me is the price of the 8120 being so low.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The price similarity doesn't surprise me. My neighbor has had the very same pricing scenario presented to him. Less than $3,000.00 variance between the price of 2 similarly equipped combines, being a 9770 and an 8010 (i.e. not an 8120). He has yet to make a decision.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Do you run your other machinery with any precision ag equipment? That may weigh in on your decision. ie.. JD autosteer, mapping, prescriptions on tractors and seeder vs Case? It doesn't seem like much but A few different monitors and software/map conversions can get into the +10k dollars. Also how easy/hard is one vs the other to change over from wheat to peas etc..Not huge issues but they can get frustrating if they waste important time!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thats f**ked up! Why not give one of those a try? Afraid you might like it? Sounds like a lot of farmers in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If this pricing is right. Why is it that 70,000 to 80,000 separates these two machines, having 200 or 300 hrs on them. JD being the higher one. Is the resale value that bad on the 8010?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't buy the case if they have not sold a few of them, Check there service techs out real good. I hope they have the bugs worked out but if they don't protect yourself. If they run there great.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
I would think long and hard about it. There is absolutely no doubt that the 8120 is a bigger machine the only thing that you will hate about the Case is the SLOOOWW unload rate, I have personal experience. I think your being introduced to something called the "disloyalty discount" you get huge savings if you switch colors but you get pretty normal pricing if your going green to green or red to red. It is the oldest trick in the dealers book, but I guess its good for you if you want to go red one year and then switch back to green. Just don't expect the fantastic pricing when you want to trade that 8120 for a 2010 model. And if you don't need huge capacity you could save some money and get a 7120 which will still have a slight edge over a 9770 and is only 5% smaller than the 8120. I like the JD monitors and autotrac alot more than the Case.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Slower discharge rate - maybe true, but the reason why JD unload quicker is because they have a smaller bin. Smoke and mirrors stuff - people believe anything. If an unloading auger is all you're worried about, you've got issues

Too many monitors in the Deere too and it feels like you're sitting in a shoe box cab. The ergonomics and cab space of the 8120 is far better. You only have to look at one monitor not 4 or 5. Concave / grate removability, crop adaption, grease nipples, belts / chains / pulleys. All the workings of the machine I would be looking at, not an unloading auger. IMO

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Plus the unloading auger is alot quieter.... im not sure about your series but the couple ive been in still have the old style system and makes alot of noise for what it is...

Also change out some gears thanks to the help of some guys on here and it won't be so slow...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Looks like you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by switching brands- You'll gain more capacity, and a machine under warranty. If you don't like the red one I'm darn sure that your green dealer would be happy to have it sit on their lot along with you being a walking billboard for how you liked the green one better-

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Do you think I'm that dense? I guess my IQ drops a few points when I post on here, obviously 350bus is going to take longer than 300bus. Maybe you didn't really understand what I said "the 8120 is a bigger machine the only thing that you will hate about the Case . . ." I was stating the only major problem that the machine has from what I have seen there isn't anything major to keep you from buying CaseIH. We demoed a 9120 beside our Deeres and it took almost 1 min longer to unload the same bus then another 30sec to unload the extra bus. I was running the grain cart and I have a scale so it was an accurate comparison. 1.5 extra min of unloading spread across a fleet of 4 combines feels like a lifetime.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Was this stop dumping? We demo'd a 9120 too and I also thought it unloaded slow, though I wouldn't not buy a combine based on that. Other than that what did you think of the case?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have demo'd a 7010 and a 9770, a year apart, both in good milo. I felt the two machines were very similiar in capacity. Yes, Case has a roomier cab, and it is quieter as well. I found a 7120 and a 9770 priced very similiar before GPS/Precision Farming.

My decision was to wait for another year before buying a new machine.

As for GPS compatability, what JD bozo decided to finally market a decent size/capability screen, and then not warranty it if left out in freezing conditions? (2600 monitor) That sure makes it pretty worthless as a yield monitor/gps autosteer monitor, doesn't it?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Do you think I'm that dense? I guess my IQ drops a few points when I post on here, obviously 350bus is going to take longer than 300bus. Maybe you didn't really understand what I said "the 8120 is a bigger machine the only thing that you will hate about the Case . . ." I was stating the only major problem that the machine has from what I have seen there isn't anything major to keep you from buying CaseIH. We demoed a 9120 beside our Deeres and it took almost 1 min longer to unload the same bus then another 30sec to unload the extra bus. I was running the grain cart and I have a scale so it was an accurate comparison. 1.5 extra min of unloading spread across a fleet of 4 combines feels like a lifetime.

Sorry jdmanitoba - no I don't think you are dense
Maybe I overreacted when replying. I just seem to hear a lot about the unload rate issue and some people think this is a big deal. My apologies - our IQ's don't lower here, in fact I think some peoples increase

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
you will be quite happy with a 8120, heck of a machine, lots of capacity, gonna staight cut git a draper head only way to go, do a nice job and keep machine full, also will like cvt reverser if you need it, heck of a machine, i beleive 8120 hp is 485, new one on lot will have to look, any questions pm me, scott.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts