The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to trade combines and were wondering how the 9770 handles a 12 row corn head in 200+ bu corn. We demoed a 9870 and it is a little much for our operation. Also how fast can u run with a 9770 and still get a clean sample with the 12 row

·
Registered
380 Posts
It does if your cheating to get capacity, I had a guy combine with a 9770 once and he was trying to travel 6.5 - 7 with a eight row the sample was crap full of cobs and stalks, he said it was his way to get capacity.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Speed has a lot to do with capacity if you are harvesting good grain. The sieve and chaffer are only good for X number of bushels per hour. While I have demo'd a 9770, it wasn't in corn so I don't know what the capacity is. My 9650W overloads the sieve and chaffer at around 3,000 bu/hour. Based on running in milo, the 9770 is about 25% larger, so figure 3750 bu/hour.

You do the math for ground speed.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah but getting your rotor and concave setting matched up to the crop an the state its in makes all the diffrence as to the capacity of your sieves.

Goes without saying in stuff like sunflowers where the trash often has the same weight as the seed!

Besides, people tend to panic on the samples, they do not have to spotless anymore, its not like we are harvesting 5-10 ton hour anymore. We are up around 45-50 ton hour these days and it goes without saying that it takes alot more to sort that volume out.

And finally, in the end of the day: combines are grain harvesters, not seed cleaners.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
6 years ago we were running 9750's with 12 row heads in 200+ corn at about 4mph with no sample issues. They got traded on 9760's which could run a little faster. The 9750 was rated at 325 hp. A 9770 is quite a bit more than this. Horsepower was not really an issue for us, we had more problems with seals in the vari-speed feederhouse drive. However I think you can get the powershiftable feederhouse on 9770's now. As for sample, again I didn't figure it to be an issue. In that sort of corn we nearly always had the bottome sieve just about all the way open.

·
Registered
961 Posts
rubberduck, some of that may be true about the speed, but if your not going fast enough to load the machine up, your not going to do a good job either.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thats exactly what im saying. John deere combines works best when you run them as hard as you can, they should be on the edge of horsepower all the time.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
rubberduck that is all rotaries. But you are exactly right about concave and rotor settings having a major role in sample quality. Rotary theroy is kind of backwards from conventional. I like to run the concaves as open as possible while still thrashing all the grain. This uses the least amount of power, provides room for more crop so you go faster, and provides the cleanest sample in most crops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts