The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would you want to buy a 9870 compared to a 9770 because they are basically the same combine except for the extra hp. With that extra hp you will just push the machine harder and throw over an unacceptable amount of grain. We have some neighbors that run 9870s and their fields are embarressingly green and i think its because they push them too hard. any thoughts?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Agreed. The 9860 and 70 are simply a marketing attempt for JD to play in the class 8 arena. The 9870 really has no economical advantage over the 9770. Its only performance advantage might be its extra horsepower when running chopping corn heads. But, that is still up for debate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with you guys somewhat. Deere defintily needs to do something different with the 98 other than hp. Especially if it will just through the grain into the fan. But our bean stems are green and the beans are 12%. This is our first year with a 9870 and the extra power is very nice this year. The corn up here is also all still over 30% yet. Its gonna be a late year....espically since not many people more then over 100 acres of beans out and its rain monday threw thursday night this week...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Disagree. I am running a JD 9870STS here in Humboldt, Saskatchewan and it is doing an excellent job. If your settings are on the spot you will not have losses like many people think. I combined barley, canola, peas and oats so far. Enough hp all the time and when it gets tough. We have 3 Case IH 8010 combines and my closest "rival" is about 10% behind me in acres, more losses and it is difficult to get the right settings all the time. Using a lot less fuel because I have enough power to pick up 40 and 36 ft swaths. They are running out of power often, I have the "speedup kit" for the discharge beater installed a few days ago and now the combine is even better. The JD9770STS will be good enough when you have lighter crops and don't push that hard.
Learn to know your combine and the settings for every crop and every field and you will have no problems. Even the same combines will differ when it comes to settings and the manner the operator is handling the combine.
Last year ran a JD 9760STS and I did not had enough power all the time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had a friend use a 9870 when his 9770 broke down, he said he could not ever use the extra H.P. on 50 bu wheat with a 35' head but did notice alot more fuel use, but the wheat was not green or very hard to thrash.

·
Registered
185 Posts
SA64 I run 2 9770's and used to run 9660's. This year the chopper ate all the horsepower. If I had any hills the 9870 would run out of power too as i'm all flat land. I never saw the need for a 9870 but somedays another 75 horse would be appreciated.

·
Registered
566 Posts
a 2010 9770 vs a9870 in corn and beans not so much but a 9870 in small grins then I think the 98 might pay esecialy in canada.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts