The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had the bearing go out in the fan hub? Had this happen on two different machines with the Cummins engines. One on a 9690 and a 9790. Not such a bad deal if it wouldn't put all kinds of holes in the radiator. Not much sign of anything going wrong other than suddenly not hearing the fan anymore.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Count yourself lucky, when the bearing went out on the 9790 I use to have, the fan went through the rad, $14,000.00 fixed that. Go to your local CIH dealer and buy the hub to fit your Cummins they have come out with a heavy duty hub for those engines.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes it happened twice with ours. The fan is too big, the bearings too small, and the pulley is not built heavy enough. Ended up going to CaseIH. Very fortunate nothing happened to radiator either time. And when Cummins hears the word "combine" they can play more dead than a possum.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Count yourself lucky, when the bearing went out on the 9790 I use to have, the fan went through the rad, $14,000.00 fixed that. Go to your local CIH dealer and buy the hub to fit your Cummins they have come out with a heavy duty hub for those engines.

Do you have any more info or part # for this hub ?

Is it a Cummins part or CIH?

I have replaced the fan pulley on my 9790 but have not heard about problems with the hub bearing.

thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have not had the bearings go out yet...can't wait for that one. I did have the belt pulley break off from the hub and the serpentine belt slap the radiator which put a hole in the radiator. It would appear that our MF dealership has had this as a common problem. This was the second time the radiator has been out of our combine in 1500 engine hours (first time the wiper on the outside wore a hole in it)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.