The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished harvest just prior to Christmas. Brother left the autosteer truned on over Christmas and flattened batteries dead. When him and Dad went to jump start it start the cleandown and get it nearer to a battery charger, all sorts of weird and wonderful things happened. A selection of lights in the overhead console are on and flashing ****** OPEN for the selected item, as well as the auger thinks it is in when it is out, the oil pressure gauge is way over on high, and the hour meter for both sep and engine hours is reset to zero.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just a guess but, unhook the batteries and hopefully everything will reset itself. I would try that first. And maybe charge the batteries full while you have them unhooked. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
the hour meter for both sep and engine hours is reset to zero.
Can't see a problem!;)
Ow, this feels expensive.:(
I imagine you have completely disconnected power from the combine to the battery for a period of time?
Hopefully that would/will reset everything.
That's the only idea I have, basically the old computer fix trick.
May your end of 2012 be so simple, giving you a happy start to 2013!:)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have to agree

Hopefully the above advice does the trick. Jump starting with all the electronics is iffy at best. I was thinking the same thing, disconnect batteries and leave disconnected for a while, hour or so. Make sure batteries are fully charged and holding that charge, may want to replace them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Managed to leave the sieve lights on in one of ours over Christmas, went to start boxing day and dead flat. Luckily no problems this time, but in the past we have had circuit boards fry from this. Apparently they can't handle a real slow current draw down from such an event. I would remove the batteries and fully charge or replace. Good luck

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to an AgTalker for the suggestion, it turned out to be a simple fix. When the batteries drained right down the combine reverted to default setting in the control panel setup menu, thinking it was a Gleaner. Set it back to 9790 and all seems good.

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
Thanks to an AgTalker for the suggestion, it turned out to be a simple fix. When the batteries drained right down the combine reverted to default setting in the control panel setup menu, thinking it was a Gleaner. Set it back to 9790 and all seems good.
I get it, the default setting is for the big brother more capacity Gleaner.;) Its nice it was a simple fix.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
With this newer equipment and circuit boards what is the proper way to jump a tractor or combine when you come to the field and everything is dead? Are you suppose to take the day off while the batteries charge?

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you have to jump start a new tractor or combine what long enough so it turns over good and will start and then LEAVE the jumper cables on for a short time to let the voltage stableize and than unhook cable.

F

·
0 Posts
Don, the only thing that seemingly hasn't been 'fixed'is the hour clock has remained reset to zero. We have a new combine with only 1.2 engine hours.
Good to hear that it wasn't a serious problem. So now we all know the easy way to reduce the hours on our AGCO combines.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
If you have to jump start a new tractor or combine what long enough so it turns over good and will start and then LEAVE the jumper cables on for a short time to let the voltage stableize and than unhook cable.
All true and good advice, trying to fire something up before the batteries are somewhat recharged is never a good thing and is pure murder on the alternator when it finally does fire up. Most times it is recommended to disconnect the batteries until they are somewhat charged, though as long as you dont cross up your booster or charger cables and refrain from turning anything on, you should be ok. Most ECM systems will not turn on the fuel until minimum voltage is available at the ECM during cranking, thus another reason you need to just take the time to let the batteries recharge, no matter how big of hurry you are in.

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
Good to hear that it wasn't a serious problem. So now we all know the easy way to reduce the hours on our AGCO combines.
Likely wouldn't work FL and you'd end up trying to explain to Jack how your Super 67 has 9000 more hours on the clock than it really does!;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just another thought to prevent this

My 9790 had the battery disconnect switch that I tried very hard to remember to use every time we shut down for the day. Just something I picked up on from experience.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen on my 660. Was real frustrating when you can only unload the bin with the auger in the closed position. When we got it reset back from the Gleaner to the Challenger again my hours also staied at 0

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Your hour meter in the cab doesn't really matter anyways. The engine ecms these days have thier own hour meters and if your buying from a dealership they should be able to access this. Cummins did that on the electrical engines. Has anyone looked at this option.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts