The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 1480 combines and am very happy with them but I am planting alot of flax next year and I have a 32' Shelburne spotted but ain't no way I can get one of them off the dirt with what I got. There is a 05' 670 challenger on auction soon, kind caught my interest, I'm not a huge fan of the hydraulic rotor but I think it would be great with a stripper head. It has about 2000 Sep hours and seems to just need regular TLC, chopper knives, maybe rasp bars. first one I've ever been close to. What are some things I should be aware of and are parts priced reasonably. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
The Massey had a Cummins till the sisu... The challenger should have a C9 cat.. Nothing wrong with that.
Look at shakers and holes in the rotor cage.

Plan on a st. Johns rotor mod... If u do this it will double your 1480 in overall capacity.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The Massey had a Cummins till the sisu... The challenger should have a C9 cat.. Nothing wrong with that.
Look at shakers and holes in the rotor cage.

Plan on a st. Johns rotor mod... If u do this it will double your 1480 in overall capacity.
Flax is one crop I've never used a St. John's rotor in.. I think it won't thresh flax any better then a Deere STS.. All the green guys seem to be happy with the STS. When in doubt call Terry at St. John's Welding

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
20+ grand for an overhaul from feeder chain to chopper knives? Are these like case machines update update update or were they pretty good out of the box, I don't mind updates but my father inlaw has been runnin flagship machines for some years and it seems like after a few repairs neither machine matches anymore and when your picking up parts its like witch combine has what. does anyone have some simple mods while the machine is apart? I got the banker on board with this alreadry and I've got some learning to do. The info is very much appreciated

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
They didn't change much of the machine for twenty years..
They do updates but they are usually just updates that assist in productivity, not like the flagship where they did that just to keep them running.
Don't pay to much, but they are very basic combines compared to the case IH. The 670 would outdo a 7088 as far as it goes.. The front beater will help productivity.
Just keep your rpms at the high end of the range.
Your in north Dakota, pull the rotor and take it to pfparts. The original rotor works, but takes a lot of HP.. When you open it up, a 36 foot draper will be a walk in the park with a lot less losses then the flagship combines.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I found a thread in the gleaner side where the PFP mod was done to a gleaner... Similar straight bar design.. Allis 8050 was super happy with the mod done to the gleaner,
The challenger Massey gleaner a modles all have the similar rotor design of straight bars the entire length of the rotor..
I suggest PFP because they are out of north Dakota and likely within driving distance for support and parts delivery

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.