The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving up into a 98 r62 from a 93 r52 and looking for advice on rotor setup. It has 8 bar open spoke rotor and all forward bars. I know people get all upset at reverse bars but we had them on the CDF and the open spoke on our 52. Looking for what you all have and also is there a need for filler bars in a 62 for wheat. We had the original rotor in our 52 and use to run filler bars and when we went to CDF didn’t seem to need them. Tia for all the help

·
Registered
432 Posts
Do you think having an enclosed rotor in your R52 worked the grain a little more while on the threshing side than it did with your open rotor? I'm thinking you'd be getting more grain on grain threshing action with the cdf that the open rotor would. I'll bet the same would hold true on an R62.

I know different types and varieties of wheat can have very different threshing issues a guy has to contend with. Here, I grow soft white winter wheat and there's not many threshing issues. However, I do have a preferred variety that's prone to carrying a lot of white caps. That's when I start adding filler bars to the concave. This is on an R50, open rotor, with f2 concave bars on the separator side and two reverse bars for wheat on the discharge end. Guess I can't imagine the reverse bars doing a lot for threshing at that stage of the process, more useful at shaking grain out of the straw mat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CDF helped on green stem beans and was able to not run filler bars in wheat any more. Corn was a toss up. We had the 8 bar dialed in on the narrow body machine. Looking for recommendations on the 62 setup for harvesting these three crops.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm just lurking around to learn, I dont have and experience with rotor mods. When yall say filler bars, are yall referring to filler bars on the concave or filler bars between the rasp bars on the open spoke rotor to make it behave more like an enclosed rotor? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
773 Posts
Looking for recommendations on the 62 setup for harvesting these three crops.

High angle helical bars. Stops the overlap and high wear on the left side of the concave. Better separation and less power requirement.

You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Filler bars on concave area to make hard threshing crops thresh better. Have ran them back in the conventional days as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
High angle helical bars. Stops the overlap and high wear on the left side of the concave. Better separation and less power requirement.

You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
What about extending the rotor bars into discharge area on 4 of the 8?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Talking about filler bars put between the bars or slats of the concave. I start at the first one from the feed opening and work my way back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A 98 R62 should already have to long cylinder bar on the left end of the rotor. Or am I missing what you are asking?
It didn’t look like it did from just looking at the bars when we were looking it over. I will inspect closer and let you know. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
First off, what are your crops? I run a R62 open rotor with many mods and have tried a few different things with the rotor. Next year will be a new mod due to unthrashed spring wheat the past two years. I posted a few years ago my rotor mods, you can look them up, only difference now is I only run 4 sets of bars in the thresher side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off, what are your crops? I run a R62 open rotor with many mods and have tried a few different things with the rotor. Next year will be a new mod due to unthrashed spring wheat the past two years. I posted a few years ago my rotor mods, you can look them up, only difference now is I only run 4 sets of bars in the thresher side.
CORN, SRW WHEAT AND BEANS ONLY CROPS. Do raise double crop beans which we do have green stems at times

Couple things I have been told via here and ag talk.
extend rotor bars into the discharge area and remove every other paddle.
run a reverse bar on rightside and one in the second row 180 out from one on first row
place at least 3 filler bars in and can leave in for all crops
one guy even takes every other row off entire rotor for all crops and claims it works better than having 8 bars

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A 98 R62 should already have to long cylinder bar on the left end of the rotor. Or am I missing what you are asking?
I checked on it and it was a few hundred on serial of having them. All forward bars installed and they end at the paddles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took out every other bar on separator side. Extended them into discharge. Put a helical bar straight up and down right before discharge on cage. Took out every other paddle. Put in pair of sweeps. Had a tumble bar in front of rear concave. Did triangle and steep pitched helical bars. All forward bars. Now the one thing I am not sure I did was on the thrashing side put in 1/4 inch spacer, under bars?? I know I did this on my R76 with cdf rotor. This worked great for beans and milo. Corn you might want to take a helical bar out on the rear door so it would have more time to separate. What ever you do make sure you lower the front feeder house, I think it was 3 inches, made a world of deference in green stem beans. When removing bars make sure you put a bolt in holes or they will become elongated.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Glad you mentioned filling the empty bolt holes. I'll remember to do that when I modify the separator side of my R50 before wheat season.

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts