The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new member first post. I have a 98 r72 with about 3000 hours on it, sent it to my local dealer for winter special and among other things, they replaced the head gasket. (m11) Instantly upon starting wheat harvest it has smoked unevenly, used way more fuel, has no noticable loss of power, and about twice a day acts like engine is shut off for about 1 second and comes right out of it.

Dealer cleaned all electrical connectors, changed the fuel filters that I had just changed, and checked valve adjustment. Nothing helped. It also sets fail code 552 which neither dealer nor Cummins can tell me what stands for. They both pass the buck to each other.

Injectors have since been adjusted, but I haven't started beans yet to see if there is any change. All of this started Immediately after the head gasket was replaced. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Welcome. Don't know how this could be related to head gasket job unless injectors were not reset right away. I would of thought valves and injectors would be set before engine was fired up for first time. I am worried that injectors were not set right away. If they weren't set right away or were set wrong that could of been smoke and fuel problem. Error 552 is lower fuel rail pressure then the engine control module is requisting or expecting. This will usually be lack of fuel because of filters or maybe screen in tank plugged. Could check for ample flow at fuel water filter. Beyond this it could be sticking EFC (electronic fuel control) I've had one of these get sticky. I have removed and tore apart far enough to clean and unstick it. Trouble is the pump still had to come off for it was failing internal and putting junk into the control. I'm thinking as easy as pump comes off it should be checked out before you need it bad. Only machine I had smoking had hole in injector tip. We just had all the tips overhauled and then we set properly. Might replace relay under radiator for that is what Gleaner has in place to give the Cummins its electrical and maybe it could be your intermitant one second shut downs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The head was reinstalled without adjusting injectors because they didn't have the tool and had the greenhorn tech do the job. After wheat harvest a seasoned service tech came out and adjusted them by bottoming the plunger on each injector 3 times and then back them off 3/4 of a turn (I think). I haven't run it since. I thought I would be treated different since it has been about 12 years from the last time they worked on my machines and they royally screwed things up back then. I straightened that all out myself and have done all my own repairs since... Looks like that may happen again if this persists. I'll replace the relay to eliminate it as a cause. Maybe the valve adjustment will cure the rest. Thanks for the advice nddan.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Combined soys today and it smoked more than ever under much less load than combining wheat and still says fault every few seconds.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have to assume they have engine turned to proper location while setting each injector. I hope they are using a L shaped tool with roll pin to hold pressure on injector while setting preload with special Cummins T handle torque wrench (I believe tool is preset at 6 inch pounds). Don't know if improper adjusted or damaged injector can hurt injector or set that error code but if it is related to head gasket job one has to lean that way. Did you check for real good flow from fuel tank to bottom fuel filter? I'm still worried about setting of injectors beings you say it is worse than ever after last attempt!!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you had any luck with this problem yet? IF THEY DIDNT SET THE VALVES AND INJECTORS BOTH THATS STUUPPIIDD. There is no way in the world that this will run without resetting the valves and Injectors, exactly there is no in between, There are two different ways to set them, you have to know how to do it cause the book wont show you both ways, the worst problem is it probably knocked the end off one or more injectors, if is an STC injector where the oil runs too the injector if they are set too tight it will waste them instantly, I had a guy set the injectors in a JD cutter with an 855 cummins in it with STC injectors and he set them wrong which knocked out 4 or so injectors, he thought it was the injectors for it thinking it was faulty injectors put in 6 new ones and did it again, needless to say I put in the next set, cost that guy over 6K in injectors before they were done, There are a few things that can cause the low fuel pressure fault, bad sensor, split injector from overtightened injectors which split the tip and dump raw fuel in the cyl which will smoke, or a bad oring on the injector if they were pulled out and reinstalled improperly which will cause fuel pressure to drop cause the fuel runs around the injectors and with a bad oring it will go straight to return,

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O rings were replaced and checked second time, valves were set, injectors were set using the method without the special tool. I replaced the relay inder the radiator and it doesn't shut off intermitently any more, but still smokes and burns fuel like crazy. If I ever get done with soybeans I will have the Cummins shop out of Fargo come out on a service call so it hopefully gets done right. They are only 35 miles away. I will post more results when I have them. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Runner where r u located, I am located just south of fargo. If u have cummins come out, make sure it is Joe, he knows what he is doing. I had Joe out the other day to check some things out on my M11 in the 75. He set the valves and injectors on it. One thing that he noticed was the setting on the valves was that the book was saying .011 on the intake but the tag on the engine was saying .014. He said that u have to check the tag on the engine on some of these. Some are different than what the normal is. This could cause the intakes to be tight and not seating which would cause it not to burn the fuel properly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We always set them at 14 and 26-27 when they checked the orings did the look at the tips real good to make sure that there wasnt one cracked could be real hard to see, does it smoke at an idle? or fog smoke at an idle, or just under load? what color is the smoke?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It smokes more than normal all the time, the smoke is black and choppy, but in time with rpms which suggests to me that one or more injectors are out of adjustment or damaged. How is it to pull the injectors? I would like to pull them and have them checked before I have them adjusted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We had a '98 R72 flash a code this harvest also (can't remember what the number was). They both "passed the buck" also. Anyway, it ended up being the engine computer (ECM) got a new one programed and never have another problem. Our machine would randomly go from full throttle to idle. If you waited for awhile it would work again, but eventually it completly quite working.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All problems fixed! It wouldn't start on Wednesday so I had Brad from Cummins out. He hooked up his laptop and found a bad fuel rail pressure sensor (code 111), it was jumping around without engine running. I told him it wouldn't start once before... his laptop said it was about 100 hrs ago...it was. He said the code it set (didn't get the number) almost never comes up unless the ecm is bad, so keep that in mind. He also said I probably have some or all damaged injector tips from being set the way I described in previous post. He said that way works with CENTURY injectors, but hurts the tips on SELECT injectors like mine.

I combined soybeans for the last two days and finished with no more problems, except that it was 9 below zero and there was at least 4" of snow on the ground. It still smokes but I will pull the injectors next summer.

Thank you to everybody for your help. Even if the problem isn't solved right away, you get fresh ideas to keep you moving toward the solution. It's great to have access to so many knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know this is an old post but I want to clarify some things, You can adjust M11 CELECT injectors by very lightly bottoming the adjuster and backing it off two flats (which is about .022") and tighten the lock. Of course the engine must be rotated in the correct position for each injector.

The engine in my R72 is a CENTURY engine and if you try to adjust the injectors this way they WILL BE DAMAGED. This is stated on many Cummins forums. I started wheat last week and it smoked as bad as anything I have ever seen and smelled like a kerosene heater. I had Cummins come out and install re-man injectors and it runs perfect. This injector adjusting mistake by the dealer cost me $2700. The injectors were over $2000 + service call.

I hope this clarifies things and saves someone else the headache and expense.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks again for this Update.. and I also AGREE that it is nice to Inform Folks that have helped you out, or tried to, as well as Helping us who are Reading and Learning of possible Future Issues here!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
And what stinks the most is that you had "dealer"preform the work the first time and THEY didn't know what they were doing. You paid for premium professonial work and got "shade tree" results.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts