The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the cleaning system be upgraded in a 9860 so that it is the same as a 9870? I have found a nice 9860, but was really wanting the cleaning system of the 70 series. T.I.A.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I installed all the parts and added it to our 9770...worked perfect...and yes it does increase cleaning. The holes are in the sidesheets and shoe of the 9770 and it bolts right on...not sure of the 60 though. It still could be done, just a little more work.

In the case of the 9870 and 9770, ALL the shoe parts and the entire cleaning system are the EXACT same part number sans the extended precleaner. The fan speed variable sheaves are also the EXACT same, all you have to do is adjust the jamb nut on the stop and increase your fan speed to 1350 like the 9870.
The entire cost was less than $1500. When we traded 9770's, it only took a couple hours to change all the parts over to the new 9770...beats spending $20K on a 98.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The 2 things needed to essentially make it into a 9870 is the pre-cleaner and the fan diverter. Not sure if it would be a 'bolt on' on the 60's...maybe a very late model. The major factor if the holes already exit in the shoe to bolt on the necessary parts...which are not that many.
Be interesting to see.

The larger clean grain system is only a help in high yielding corn, small seed crops do not tax the system at all, so it does nothing to help increase capacity most of the time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pre-cleaner and the fan diverter is what I was after. I will let you know if I get it done and how it works. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not a Deere basher by no means, but at the rate new 9770s are puking engine here, 20K would've been a wise investment. There has been 3 new ones lose engines here since corn harvest started, one never even making it to the field. I think I'd rather drop the 20K and not lose the 3-4-5 hurricane free days, plus having the power.
Hope youy have good luck with your new machine.
Tom

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
I'm not a Deere basher by no means, but at the rate new 9770s are puking engine here, 20K would've been a wise investment. There has been 3 new ones lose engines here since corn harvest started, one never even making it to the field. I think I'd rather drop the 20K and not lose the 3-4-5 hurricane free days, plus having the power.
Hope youy have good luck with your new machine.
Tom

Tell ME More about the 9770STS Engines...
PLEASE
Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tell ME More about the 9770STS Engines...
PLEASE
Tom
Makamson Farms was roading their new 9770 to the field when it put a rod through the block. Aviation services new 9770's crankcase filled with antifreeze after 40 some odd hours and it's engine is on the shop floor. Haven't had a chance to talk to Keith(tec) as to what happened to Selmans yet. All these combines are at Wade Inc Greenwood store.
Not trying to bash Deere's Tom, they make my living too, but that's too many down with under 100 hrs.
Hope ya'll don't have much trouble up that way this fall.
Tom Grossman

·
Registered
125 Posts
Plus the 70 series shaker arms are heavier I believe, so I don`t think adding the extra precleaner to a 60 series would be a good idea. As for engines I heard of a few 2008 machines had issues at about 500 hrs, but I never heard of any 2010 machines having engine issues about the 100hr mark.(at least not yet!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts