The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Deere dealer has been trying to sell me a 9860. These combines used don't seem to cost any more than 9760's. Are they a good deal or do they use a lot more fuel than the smaller motors.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Would a power chip get better fuel economy? If you didn't need the power could it be set for less fuel? I feel the 12.5L would be more reliable long term. It's great on fuel in my 9300. The 9 L at 360 is at it's limit of HP.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Hi

I have a lot of guys running chips on cane harvesters in south Louisiana and normally they have to refuel at lunch time.After installing the chips and running on the 15% setting and harvesting at normal pace they refuel between 2 and 3 pm.Sounds like they work to me.

Amax

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd say go with the 9860, it uses a good bit more fuel than a 9760 but the 98 will way out do the 97 any day. We ran a 98 and 97 last year and there was no comparison, we ran the 9860 beside a 9770 this year and our 9860 was still much more machine in corn and rice, the 9760 and 9860 were comparable in soybeans, both machines were running 30 foot heads and 12 row corn heads, hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
70 series have very good fuel economy. 9870's averaging 1.0 to 1.2 gallons per hour all year long and in the same field 8010's at 2.5 - 3.0 gph. 2 to 3 times the fuel consumption. All of these are pushing 35 foot flex headers in wheat/barley/canola. Heard the newer 20 series CIH have not improved. Hutterite colony that I spoke to that just changed to Deere combines have saved $1000's of dollars in fuel compared to past years with their CIH units.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Jeez I would be happy with 2.5 to 3.0 gph fuel consumption.

401 must have meant per acre. But anyways, 3 times as much fuel, not the reports I have heard. CIH are a little harder on fuel, however its not going to make the fuel man giggle when he sees a field of red. Your looking at 10% more consumption with the red, maybe higher in tougher conditions. Another question is how many more acres was the machine doing per hour???? You pretty much have to base fuel consumption on grain production, for an accurate comparison.

The best one I heard actually were the 9070 NH's. Very low fuel consumption on a production based calculation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I added an extra 0 in there .8 gal/ac. it was late i was tired I've seen it as low as .7. Last year we ran a 9770 and a 9870 both with 12R30 John Deere Chopping heads and the 97 did the same amount of acres the same amount of grain in the same amount of time on less fuel

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
I gathered it was something like that.
Had a math teacher tell me a number like that should be expressed as 0.80
You'd probably would have noticed your error if you did that.

Don

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have a 9860, love it, it has the extra power that you wish your 9760 has in tough conditions. I good wheat I was doing at least a third more. Corn is a different story, the name of the game is do you have enough support equipment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah no doubt. We had 5 trucks 1 brent 1194 cart to keep up with a 9770 with a 16R22" geringhoff head 20 miles one way haul 49 loads in 6 days

·
Registered
13 Posts
We had real good yielding crops last year, and our 9870 work hard in wheat crops. The straw stayed green from frost and was long, wow! did the straw chopper use alot of power and did a good job, but straw management is everything and it starts with the combine, long story short the machine used alot of fuel, but harvested alot of grain.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts