The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9860 that was cutting fine stopped at idle speed for about 3 min and motor was so hot that dust started smoking it burnt the paint on the outside of the motor in about a 3 inch by 4 inch spot at the top. It also was pouring smoke out of the oil drain line. Everything was running fine no knocking nothing oil level was good all gauges were good. Any ideas what could be going on?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Check your water pump. They can cause huge problems and money if bearing lets go. Doesn't always show leakage from tell tale but gears let go and allsorts. Usually Camshaft is first to sieze and burn paint on the head. Hope it is something simple for you

·
Registered
778 Posts
The 9860 was well known for engine problems, my next door neighbor had a
blown engine in his, and the dealer messed up that, and he was down most all year.
I disagree. The later 12.5, which is what the 9860 has, is a decent engine. They have always been good in the 9000/9020 tractors and at this hp level (375) it has an easy life and should last. Agreed you should keep an eye on the water pump but if the weep hole is clean there should be no more troubles than any other pump. I just changed the original pump on a 2004 9520T last week and it wasn't even in bad shape. Slight sweating from weep hole but bearings, etc were 100%. Just preventative maintenance.

If you have smoke from the breather then something is not right. Where was the paint burning off? Head? Block? Valve cover? Did it start running rough?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.