The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Theres a member on this site who has both. He'll tell you the same thing. No a 9860 can't outdo a 970.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
I've seen a 10 year old TR98 out cut a brand new 9660 when it was tough, and the TR has 40 less HP and smaller rotors than the 970. The 9860 has the same rotor diameter as the 9660. Its pretty easy math to do!

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
sorry, I even confused myself.

I'll change that to...40 less HP than the 9660. A whole pile of horses less than the 970 even before the power bulge of even more horses, making an even larger pile of horses.

And I did not mention the cleaning system differences, since everyone seems to know them. Deere has a great corn machine I think, but anytime you have to separate something smaller than cobs from a kernel, they have some trouble.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think jd and cat make the best combine out there. Around my area nobody owns a newholland, mainly JD.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Nice to know that one of the top selling machines is total junk.

You have to consider many things when deciding who makes the best combine. And these things might be different for many people.

Its interesting that both machines that you mentioned are now non-current models. You can see what the companies think of their own machines by seeing what they changed to get come out with the NH 9070 and JD 9870. I don't feel like typing it all, but lots of it is on the websites.

Wish Don would come party in this room. He's the expert on 970 vs 9860.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Newholland doesn't make that well of combine compare to the JD, cat and case. We farm over 30,000 acres and never had good luck with a Newholland.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:I think Newholland doesn't make that well of combine compare to the JD, cat and case. We farm over 30,000 acres and never had good luck with a Newholland.

That's ALOT of acres man. Who does "we" represent by the way?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We run 2 9750sts, 2 9860sts, 3 case 8010, 2 2388, a cat 485 and one cr960.
Going to get rid of the two 9750 and get either a 9870 or 9860.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'll say that the sts is not absolute junk, however there are certain days when I might say this if you catch me at the right time. It does hold a place somewhere, more like in the hyped up and overrated section. But since buying one I have to say that it hasn't lived up to its legendary status that it was built up to be by everyone when they came out. And it also hasn't lived up to my expectations. It really has been a headache sorry to say thats been my experience with these combines. I know there are many others who don't feel the same way.

·
Registered
664 Posts
we own a tr-98 and i can say its one heck of a machine. my dad is one of those guys that trys to save every kernal, including the shrivles. he will never "outcut" anyone because he lives and dies by the overthrow guage. im on both sides, i went on harvest and there is was do a good job, quickly.

i would have to say that if the 98 had more elevating capacity, it would be lightyears ahead of itself. my dad and i might build a newer bigger elevator for ours. thats if we dont trade for a 940 next summer. we dont farm all that much, so we dont want big. also, too many terreces.

i have to give the new cr's props for their cab. the ability to change everything from the drivers seat, on the fly is awesome. (i know, all combines have that now), but the cr is user friendly.

Matt

·
Registered
144 Posts
We have one 9860 and one 9070. My question to you is; which brand has a better/closer dealer for you? My first choice would be the 9070 but if your Deere dealer is closer and has better service, I would go that way because the machines are in the same ball park. If dealer support is equal, I would still lean to the NH because of overall cleaning capacity and a nicer/roomier cab. I know that won't put more grain in the tank but if you cover lots of acres, I find the Deere to be a little short on leg room and not as quiet. The kids like driving in the NH with me because it has that back ledge that they can lay on. Just my 2 cents. ps I'll have to check out that video, I didn't post it.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Look out if you want a 940. You'll be disappointed in the capacity compared to the TR. They have so much more weight to drag around and quite similar power. Go with the 960. In the right conditions we've heard from dealers that a TR and 960 will be neck and neck. We demoed an 03 or 04 940 and were not impressed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts