The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing to replace the rotor elements and concaves on a 9860 . I want as many opinions as possible to the best way to go. We run corn, rice, soybeans and wheat in the machine. What hour range do these factory concaves usually wear out, our machine has just over 1000 hours.

·
Registered
778 Posts
PF Parts element kit works very well. They run smoother, thrash better, decrease fuel consumption, and are much cheaper to re-bar than replacing factory elements. Their concaves work well too, especially in wheat and they come in 6 instead of 3 so they're easier to change out.

There are many factors that affect component wear. Many STS's around here still have original concaves and elements with over 1500 hours and they will easily go to 2000. But our soil is not abrasive and we deal with a lot of straw, which does not seem to cause alot of wear except on feed accelerator belts! You likely have more abrasive soil and higher yields which causes higher wear rates.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our soils range over the entire spectrum from very heavy to sandy. Our yields in corn range from 180-220 and beans around 50 and wheat is usually about 70+, We're in the Mississippi Delta in Mississippi. Does anyone have anymore input on this?? I read the forum daily and don't post much but I felt sure I'd get more than one reply. Do you by chance have a website for the PF parts??

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Greentech,

Do you have any experience with the extra narrow concaves from pfparts? Looks like they should cut down the white caps in wheat without needing the cover plates. This should also increase separating area and capacity. Thought maybe the first concave could be done and leave the other 2 alone. Would installing a large wire concave in the last position and small wire concaves in the first 2 positions help with separation and reduced rotor loss in wheat? I see that Case plays with alternating concave styles in the 8010 combines.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yeah I've installed several sets of the PF concaves and you are exactly right- They cut down on whitecaps without choking down the machine with filler plates. If you do just the first concave PF recommends using their filler plates for the OEM second concave. The plates cover only 1/3 of the concave, the far right side where the tailings dumps in. Covering the whole thing is a waste and again chokes it down for no reason. I see Deere is now offering fillers like this. Once again they learn from the aftermarket.

If you are experiencing rotor loss in any crop but have no problem thrashing it out then I would for sure try running a large wire concave in the last position.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah we've been pickin around on some dry land stuff for about a week and tryin to find some low moisture stuff. Our headquarters is in holly bluff and we farm a good bit there too. Message me the name of your farm, we might know each other by chance. I know you'll know the name of the farm I work for. I agree it is very nice to see neighbors on here, its a small world

1 - 11 of 11 Posts