The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we purchased a 07 9860 STs combine in September. Did all of our crop except for 30 acres of canola still left to combine. All acres are in north central Alberta near Edmonton.

What i would like to know is what would you recommend for header size 30 35 or 40 ft header. This year was really poor here for us to try out a header. Tried 2 a 930d John Deere 30 ft and a Macdon 973 30 ft. liked them both but leaning towards the Macdon for closer cut in downed crops but both seemed like they would be too small.

In the type of year we had we were picking up a double 25 ft swath total of 50 ft. and in most places we were picking it up at 5.5 to 7.5 miles an hour. like i said crops were poor. wheat was 17 to 25 bushels p/a barley was 45 to 50 bushels p/a Canola was 15 to 20 p/a.

In a normal year we can get a 60 to 70 bpa for wheat hard red spring, 85 to 90 for barley and 45 to 55 for Canola. Straight cut header will not be used for Canola as it will be swathed.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
484 Posts
Combine will easily handle a 40 foot know of several farmers using 36 foot in very heavy straw 75 bu hrsw and had no problems.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
In august I ran a 9860 with a 36 honeybee in 60 bushel winter wheat. It romped along at 5 mph comfortably all day long. One thing I would caution though The straw chopper really seems maxed out trying to spread much more then 36 ft. Thats where I think the 30 ft. is a little better. The chopper will do a really nice job. I think for you under a normal year you might like the 30 ft. better. What kinda terrain do you have? If you have many potholes, hills or ditches in the field the wide heads can miss crop when the middle of the knife is high centered and the crop is short or lodged.

I bought a honeybee sp30 for my 9660 and it is a very good match for it. I just wish I had more power now. A 9860 for when the sun goes down has its advantages.

Also the 30ft is nice with a HUR augur the grain cart just straddles the windrow when dropping straw. All the other widths the cart tramps all over the windrow.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Evan.
Thanks Greg S yes we have some small fields with knoll like hills here but mostly flat land.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts