The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin about a second combine. Has anyone ran these two machines side by side. We have been Case forever but our local John Deere dealer has a smokin good offer.
Prices now are very comparable so that is not an issue. We were wondering what the capacity difference is the JD with 35' Hydraflex header and the CIH with 36' Draper. Also wondering about wear items local guys say the CIH wears better but not many people have had much experience with both of them.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
I had them both in Canola, the 9860 had more capacity because it had a better feeder-house. I think the 8010 had slightly more capacity but it wasn't able to use it because of the weak feeder-house. Both were 2004 models in dry conditions.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Had 2005 8010 and 2006 9860 similar hours 98 did alot more work but it was because it stayed in the field running. Not fixing control pressure. spreaders list goes on and on. But they say they have bugs worked out. If they do 8010 will have a slight advantage.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
You would be very happy with the 8010, a lot more cleaning capacity, bigger and more comfortable cab, cleaner sample and throw less out. You would also have a more advanced machine, less greasing, minimal belts and chains to tinker with and replace. The fact that you can reverse your rotor and never have to replace a $1000 belt twice a year is huge also.

Anyone can run the 8010 also, I had a friend run mine last year who had no idea what to do, within 2 hours he was rolling, he plugged it twice but no big deal just spit it out and go.

Access for maintenance is also 10 times better, the JD is a nightmare, my brother in-law was a JD combine mechanic and came to work for me, he had never looked at the Case IH that close before, his first comment was "WOW, you can actually access everything with ease", and most jobs are a one man job. You have to be 2 to change the concaves on a JD and special wrench.

The JD rotor is built for only corn, that is why it only has 3 feet of rasp bars and then those bloody tines. It is not a small seed machine, even cereals. So if you grow only corn then perhaps it would be an ok fit. I can't comment about a Case IH in corn because we don't grow it in alberta...well not yet anyway, hahaha. Pioneer is working on a very short season corn for us.

Hope the info helps.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Now if only Case could come up with a pick me up header to match a Jd 615.* That precision thing is ok, but the john deere one is so much better that around here a 8010 with its pickup head and a 9660 with a 615 will hang together.* I agree that feeding a 8010 with a big draper is amazing.* Deere has alot of work in this regard.* However in my area we still chase alot of swaths and the big 8010 just overmatches its pickup head.* We all know how important it is to keep a rotary full and you just can't do it with a pick up head on a 8010.* Somebody should adapt a 615 to the 8010 and then there would be beast in the feild.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You can keep an 8010 pickup head full if you double swath. Last year I used a 25' case-ih/hesston self propelled swather and double swathed 35-40bu invigor canola. Was concerned 48' of swath would be too wide for the 16' swathmaster pickup but I had about 6-12" of room on each side of pickup.

Only double swathed 300 out of 500 acres do to concerns, but I never plugged the pickup, feederhouse or rotor once. Gained about 5 acres per hour over 30' pulltype swather. After this experience I plan on double swathing all of this years canola. Never tried it in cereals as we were able to straight cut it all. My $.02.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Whoa, there. I change concaves twice a year on more than a dozen STSs with nothing even close to being called a special tool and it takes under an hour with re-leveling. Unless you're 4 foot nothing and under a hundred pounds it's a one man job, especially if you have Precision concaves that are split into 6 instead of 3.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
North1 I concur with everything in your post. The only problem we have here is that sometimes 21 ft can be a handful to cut and stuff out the delivery hole. going wider with a swather probably isn't an option. This year i'm going to try straight cutting some canola can hardly wait to load up the combine and only have to travel less then 4 mph.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Whoa, there. I change concaves twice a year on more than a dozen STSs with nothing even close to being called a special tool and it takes under an hour with re-leveling. Unless you're 4 foot nothing and under a hundred pounds it's a one man job, especially if you have Precision concaves that are split into 6 instead of 3.

The special tool he's refering to must be a hand wrench. I have met a few too many techs lately that can't use anything but an impact to loosen or tighten a bolt. the bugger with the sts concaves is you have to use a hand ratchet because of the clearence issues.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The special tool he's refering to must be a hand wrench. I have met a few too many techs lately that can't use anything but an impact to loosen or tighten a bolt. the bugger with the sts concaves is you have to use a hand ratchet because of the clearence issues.

15mm 3/8 drive impact swivel on my blue point 3/8 impact wrench and a 15mm deep offset box-end wrench and those 12 bolts are out in 60 seconds.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
greentech- that is way more than you need for an 8010. Wow, under an hour! That isn't quick! And you NEED to be 100 lbs. and 4 ft. tall to get to the bloody things! The right hand side of the rotor has zero room to access anything.

I change all my concaves alone in 20 minutes max, ready to roll!

Now that you tried to debunk these points, how about all the other important things I pointed out. Just admit it, you buy JD just because you are too proud to try anything else. hahaha! I have a few neighbors like that, even though JD is miles behind they insist it's THE BEST! Even when JD comes out with that new walker machine, that is an abortion unlike anyone has ever seen before. Have fun unplugging that shitshow!

The reason I am so anoyed is that I used to be JD, but their arrogance is sickening. They havn't come out with a good machine since the 9600, all that money they have and they just keep spewing out crap. THANKS!

And yes perhaps a drag race would solve it, but I can't get any JD dealers or neighbors too put their money where their mouth is. Oh well, enjoy!

JD=grease/belts/chains......and lots of them!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Buy a 9770, it is superior to a 9860 any day of the week as odd as that may sound. It will run circles around 8010's with 36' honeybees in wheat or peas. As far as cleaner samples blah blah blah. We are in the seed cleaning business and there is no Case 8010 that will ever produce the sample of a Deere. That is all ..

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You name fits you as well as mine...

there's no way a 9770 can run circles around a 8010... it probably would barely edge a 2588..

·
Registered
346 Posts
we have a local farmer who does 18000acres with 3 9770 in 24 days . Break down those numbers and see how much work they do in a day. that sells alot of green combines around here, there is no other brand that can even come close to that in this country for day in and out performance

·
Registered
944 Posts
SFB: I have a feeling that one machine averaging 250 acres a day in a 24 day window is a little beyond my belief system.. and I come from a Deere area so I'm used to a Good story. either the crops aren't very good, or they are using stripper headers.. and I would still have problems with those numbers..

the 8010s and the Massey 9890s are the dominate machines(for capacity) in our area. the Deere dealership wont demo near one of those.

·
Registered
944 Posts
S.H. yep I get it, but the Green underware guys still have their unbelievable stories.. I can hardly contain myself.. I have a friend who has a 9760(chipped) and a 9770 both with bullet rotors.. I'm betting he will be happy to know that his machines should be averaging 250 acres each a day. especially when he is upset that he is one of the first in the area to be powering out in 30' durum swaths going 40 bushels an acre. in south central sask.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The sts should do better than that,I had 600 acres of 30 foot swath durum this fall averaged 40 bu. I did not set any speed records but that old 9500 did it well. Can't wait to try the 9660 next yr.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Alot of you guys must run in very different conditions than I do. We run three combines, a 9770, an 05 8010, and an old 9610 that we've kept around to bale behind. We average 100-125 bu/ac in irrigated wheat with heavy straw, and the sts and the 8010 are an absolute wash for us as far as capacity goes. Both machines use a 30 ft. rigid head. the case has the quiter cab, but also spends alot more time with the mechanic. Never anything big just little stupid things. Feeder house, electrical issues, nothing major, but very frustrating.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey my underwear is green they tell me they run around six mph with a thirty six foot draeper header all day long. As far as canola goes they seem to be exceptional.This is what the salesman tells me and so does his neighbors but i am not there at that time.He runs new ones every year When ran the 9760s he was hiring help, when i was doing my dealing they told me to expect 250 acres per day . but i could not afford it any way I have running two cts jds and they said one would replace two. I cheaped out and traded one on a 9650sts.I guess if i felt confident enough that it woud do it i would have made the deal, 5000acres on one machine payment would be great , but if u have to hire it would not be so good.I new my story would sound unbelievable . but in northeast saskatchewan when u grow mostly superb wheat and invigour canola apparently it is possible.PS THIS HAS A DRYING SYSTEM THAT WILL KEEP UP TO ALL THESE COMBINES

·
Registered
854 Posts
Im allowed to talk this way.. Did my time, ran case rotaries until 2004. My neighbor uncles are still running case rotaries. They will be their last after watching the real deal Deeres next
door. 250 acres a day is a joke by the way. if Im not cutting 320 a day in 50 bush durum I will trade the 9770 for 2 8010's

1 - 20 of 32 Posts