The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback from people who have spent time in each combine - what are the plus' and minus for each machine? Don't have any experience with green, spent alot of time in red. What would be the drawbacks to green? Where does green shine compared to red?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:till you sit in a deere.

You would be the first to say that the JD cabs are better than the new CR/IH's. I have sat in both and give the nod to the CR/IH's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:
Quote:till you sit in a deere.I own a STS combine..I'm a Deere man..but Case 8010 has Deere combine cab beat as far as sheer room, queitness & comfort..the tech is about the same..Cab-Wise there's really nothing the Deere can't do in or out the Cab that the 8010 does in or out. The 8010 does have that touch screen..which is no big deal to me..I see the same info on my conerpost monitors without flipping the pages on the screens...also Deere now has the GS2 monitors,. which will make it to the combines. Deere has the acellerator stair step rotor & tine sep, & concave designs..which really works very good at handling grain & seperation... If you go with Deere make sure you get the HIGH WEAR option on everything!!!....The first model STS were awful on Rotor wear..but not so for the second Gen..STS 60series
Case has a AFX rotor & Power-Plus CVT drive...I have my doubts about that thing..but I guess it works. The biggest thing harvesting wise the 8010 has on the Deere is cleaning capacity..the 8010 is a TRUE Class 8,when working good the 8010 can outpace the Deere 9860 harvesting were as Deere 9860 has the power of a Class 8... but it is limited by the design..mostly cleaning capacity.... I don't know which combine is the most overall reliable design..I know I like mine & the Dealer support. I like the new Deere flex heads over the Case IH..But those Case Drapers are nice also. I beleive both combines are good..but common sense will tell you..until Deere design a true Class 8 with a true Class 8 cleaning system to match its H.P. capacity..the 8010 will be faster in the field!!!
In closing I will say this...in MY OPINION the Deere combine ( In harvesting theroy) has the overall better rotor concept design now in the STS..I know CASE IH have had rotor combines longer...But I still don't think the old
IH rotor design or new AFX is a better design than Deere STS..but the AFX components may not wear as bad, If that STS 9860 had the super cleaning capacity it would have no problem keeping up with the 8010..I know that!!! Have a nice New Year!!!

Agree more rather than less of everything you say. In theory the bullet rotor sounds better, In practice (in corn) the afx simply is as good as it gets. More whole cobs less fines and cracked kernels. It's not like the deere is doing a bad job...just not as good as the 8010's I've observed vs the 9760's. This was a rather limited sample of 4 combines 2-8010's w/12-30's & 2-9760's with 12-20 and 8-30 corn heads. they all had more than enough capacity for the support crews - one of the 8010's had 6 semi-s and 2-grain carts hauling the corn away. One of the crew a grain cart operator told me they only needed the 1000 bu. chart in dry corn, but in wet corn the 750 cu. chart came in handy. Never followed the fellow around that had 3 - 9760's with 12-30 heads...they were always operating in one field and stitting with full tanks waiting on trucks when I happened on them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know what you are harvesting but you should give the knod to the deere because of their superior headers. Case soybean headers don't flex or feed as well as the new hydroflex JD's. I have also heard from Case owners they are very disappointed with their corn heads. Many have told me the gear boxes are not heavy enough. Changing gear boxes sucks especially when you are watching your neighbors in the field and your fixing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:till you sit in a deere.I own a STS combine..I'm a Deere man..but Case 8010 has Deere combine cab beat as far as sheer room, queitness & comfort..the tech is about the same..Cab-Wise there's really nothing the Deere can't do in or out the Cab that the 8010 does in or out. The 8010 does have that touch screen..which is no big deal to me..I see the same info on my conerpost monitors without flipping the pages on the screens...also Deere now has the GS2 monitors,. which will make it to the combines. Deere has the acellerator stair step rotor & tine sep, & concave designs..which really works very good at handling grain & seperation... If you go with Deere make sure you get the HIGH WEAR option on everything!!!....The first model STS were awful on Rotor wear..but not so for the second Gen..STS 60series
Case has a AFX rotor & Power-Plus CVT drive...I have my doubts about that thing..but I guess it works. The biggest thing harvesting wise the 8010 has on the Deere is cleaning capacity..the 8010 is a TRUE Class 8,when working good the 8010 can outpace the Deere 9860 harvesting were as Deere 9860 has the power of a Class 8... but it is limited by the design..mostly cleaning capacity.... I don't know which combine is the most overall reliable design..I know I like mine & the Dealer support. I like the new Deere flex heads over the Case IH..But those Case Drapers are nice also. I beleive both combines are good..but common sense will tell you..until Deere design a true Class 8 with a true Class 8 cleaning system to match its H.P. capacity..the 8010 will be faster in the field!!!
In closing I will say this...in MY OPINION the Deere combine ( In harvesting theroy) has the overall better rotor concept design now in the STS..I know CASE IH have had rotor combines longer...But I still don't think the old
IH rotor design or new AFX is a better design than Deere STS..but the AFX components may not wear as bad, If that STS 9860 had the super cleaning capacity it would have no problem keeping up with the 8010..I know that!!! Have a nice New Year!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I spent alot of time in a CR this year and their cabs are the best bar none. Hands down the best. Thing I hate about the CNH corn heads are the trash that collects around the slip clutch. Some times its jammed full that when I opened the door at the bottom nothing came out thats how full it was. Never plugged the entire head but if I did man one spark and a possible fire. Their grain heads ain't the best. Place I work at won't take the time to fine tune it so it cuts 4 inches or so above the ground most of the time. Their choice.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:I don't know what you are harvesting but you should give the knod to the deere because of their superior headers. Case soybean headers don't flex or feed as well as the new hydroflex JD's. I have also heard from Case owners they are very disappointed with their corn heads. Many have told me the gear boxes are not heavy enough. Changing gear boxes sucks especially when you are watching your neighbors in the field and your fixing.
might want to check out http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12003&mid=79211#M79211
As far as corn headers the ihc certainly do not take a back seat to deere (not even close unless you put clark/ihc knives on them) and the gear boxes are not even close. I think the header/drive on the 8010 is cvt. The one fellow with an 8010 and the gehringhof was having pump trouble with the cvt until they speeded up the header. There is only one place I would prefer the deere corn header and that is if I were running stock cows/and or was going to use a disc/ripper to do the fall tillage.
You certainly could not get by with just a disk/chisel outfit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
to hfh..I have been in them both too. Till the 9000 deere's came out nobody (deere especially) could figure out what a cab out to feel/act like.

Deere corn head gearboxes last so long many never trade them, mine is 26 years old and will probably get to run me another ten. I believe case has changed their boxes till now they may be as long lasting. They sure didn't use to be. I do have the case knives that clarke sells with their adapters and it is so much better than the deere knives it is no contest. Chalk that up to Case.

To straitpipe, "Unbeatable"? I believe lexions have the corner on large right now, although I fail to see the need since you have to fill the farm up with trucks to keep them going. Looks like everyone has something to be happy about with whatever color you choose.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have to say thanks for the info. For guys like me, I have not seen either of these new monster machines, so I appreciate the concise info. I would like to hear more...

Some people that posted nearly said it, so I will go ahead and say it (all the way) : I think it is great that both Deere & Case (and Lexion) are thinking and producing better/cutting edge machines. Any new product, especially on its' first year or two of production is going to have its own bugs/gremlins..That's just the way it goes!
After a year or so of mass production, though, they (the manufactures) usually fix the bugs, come out with recalls or updates, and wind up with a good idea..a good machine..It is great, from my viewpoint anyway, that new ways of harvesting are being explored...I mean, I know that CIH has had the rotor for 'some time', now, but I'm sure they have made some changes (sometimes major changes) to their original design.

In a way, it's good that Deere has the better header (referenced to posts above), and CIH has the better cab....that kind of inginuity and progressive thinking is what keeps the big manufacturers competing with each other; thereby giving us (the farmer/consumer) a better product!

I sometimes daydream about the future of harvesting..
..I have imagined a "combine" that does not have a rotor, or walkers...instead, the material comes into a large area, and some kind of "death ray", or some kind of "beam" using gravitational force (or something like that) "shines" on the crop, and instantly, the grain is seperated from the chaff.. hardly any "moving parts"..completely UNconventional...
.. sounds far fetched, and yeah, it probably is...but you never know...just think how weird the explanation of the internet or GPS autosteer would sound if you were to go back in time...say 80 years...

I can't wait to see what's to come!!

If we progress in the next 25 years as much as we have in the last 25 years....things are going to be "very interesting"!!! ( IF we can afford it! ha-ha
)

·
Registered
111 Posts
After previously owning an STS and now having an 8010.. Cab wise the 8010 by far out does the deere for room and visibility and controls except I like the deere hydro level better for how the buttons are positioned on it. Capacity wise.. the 8010 has the deere beat hands down.. In wet corn I found the 8010 was really nice as I could get a much nicer sample and keep the corn in the tank not in the field!!! and wet corn I mean 25-34% As far as reliablity.. I've had problems with both machines but has fewer breakdowns with the 8010.. Oh a positive for the deere is it steers alot easier then the red one. I know there is alot more but in my opinion after being all green and now red Im going to stay with the 8010 over the sts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
For the guys with CNH experience. How does their neat little monitor show alarms and error codes???

On a Deere one can get so many error codes that DTAC is befuddled.
I know the Lexion writes everything in plain English in the screen and even distinguishes between a low speed alarm and the shaft being actually stopped.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
as for the 24/22 corn head it's a clone of the deere, parts enterchange in the gear boxes. CNH has better knife setup, but as a red guy I don't like it that well. CIH has the 8010 figured out, peroid. it will flat out go if you know how to run it and watch it. untill deere gets rid of some more belts and a their front beater (agco as well)don't talk about capacity and grain quaility. it just won't do it

·
Registered
72 Posts
I personally feel the cvt drive buried under that bed of snakes is a nightmare you don't want to be involved with when it takes a dump.

Hard to find any machine now that is real easy to r&r anything on. Keeps you trading..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I remember when the 8010 first came out & CaseIH demo it in some Rice...I wasn't impressed vs the 2388 or 9860sts in rice..both of those older machines smoked it....come to find out Case had a feeding problem with the combine & the dealer had the wrong belt or something on the drive with the draper head..Now I have seen the newer 8010's & they are Far better...Now for all the guys that are saying the 8010 will beat a 9860 on capacity...that is true...for now. The 9860 has the thersing capacity Now to keep up with the 8010..the only limit the 9860 really has is that Deere really needs a bigger cleaning system like the 8010 has... to match the capacity of that machine...that is what we Deere folks have been saying about the 9860 since it came out,& that is alot of what makes the 8010 outrun it in the field....the 8010 could do even better if Case had a better flex head than Deere. The Deere Feeding Acellerator does its job..I beleive it needs to stay & Bullet rotor is great... The 9860 will Eat some major crop & keep up with a 8010, no problem in that..I've seen it keep up in corn & soybeans... but when you speed up to keep up with a 8010 you will start to ride grain out the back because lack of capacity overtaking cleaning & some handling,there is no major issues with the 9860 horsepower!!! As for as CaseIH cvt CONCEPT..versus Deere belts...I agree the Case design SEEMS more appealing out the gate..I think only 3 or 4 belts on the whole machine...but what happens if you do have a major CVT problem verus a belt breaking...which would be cheaper to maintain????. John Deere has been making this current cab since fall 1988..when the 9000series were introduced.....though the years they have done alot of good upgrades to this cab..controls,etc...this cab has competed very well considering it is almost now 20yrs. old but its still the SAME basic cab...I beleive Deere will deliver on the TRUE ALL NEW Cabs in the near future. In closing I will say this...both combines are great machines..whichever you choose...just go with the best deal & the best service,If you don't have enough graincarts or semi trucks to load..to keep these machines going, you don't need to buy any of these bigger machines period..A class 6 or 2 class 6's would do ya fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:I personally feel the cvt drive buried under that bed of snakes is a nightmare you don't want to be involved with when it takes a dump.

Hard to find any machine now that is real easy to r&r anything on. Keeps you trading..
I strongly agree with ya on that!!!

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
the grain handling is the biggest issue. good haulers, good truckers, lots of bins. you can tell how much people farm by these things. how big of combine you have doesn't mean much. as for the 8010 the 06 machines on forward are completely different than the older ones. don't buy a 03-05 if it's guts aren't changed. it's different like a 2388. you can get a feeder drive now without a cvt system, a single speed drive. The clutches in the cvt are basicly like a STX powershift. how many problems do they have ?

·
Registered
944 Posts
sts man: I agree completely with your comment if you don't have the trucks or carts to kkep the big boys running...no point having them....I have found it much more cost effective to run 2 identical smaller, older machines and pay top wages to good men then to try and run a big new machine that sits waiting to get unloaded....also it seems everyone would rather run a combine than truck grain....and if i had all that cash tied up in one of those monsters I'd want to be enjoying the ride....but what do i know?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Well ive never heard of any CVT complaints and get used to that three letter word cause seems like everything's going to it..

Also yeah that new deere head is nice....it works kinda like the Case ih 1020's did ...and the 2020 NH heads work like the old jd kinda....

Besides if you were going to buy a 8010 you'd be getting a 40 ft draper head anyways just so you could feed your monster

same goes with deere for sake of conversation...

also yeah the corn heads is a ruff subject say some....local guys get along with them just fine...

but we don't on avg harvest 200 or 250 maybe 300 bushel corn either...

Yeah the new holland head we now run currently over here in red country is based off of the deere design

Deere was going to sue over that and try to make some money untill nh looked at deere's hay bailer design (or something like that) and noticed it was copyed off of NH!!

So both sides kept to themseleves (i could care less what happened but thats what i was told)

Its not a big deal....either way..

Also that monitor will be color this next year and unlike deere your trimble gps antenna/reciever will work on all kinds of other equipment....

Its very very versatile with great input and output types.

The desktop software and GPS Mapping works wonderfully and the support is also very good

well i had better get done slurping my red Koolaid and head to bed

goodnight all

1 - 20 of 21 Posts