The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
I need more info (acreage amounts of each crop) what size head is going to be utilized. I agree with harsh... The only reason I could see the 9860 having an advantage is really tough crop conditions, or trying to cover a lot of ground in a short time. I wasn't aware the rotor drive was a weak link but it doesn't surprise me.

· Registered
380 Posts
went to the dealer today and I was
to see 9860's and 9760's on their lots in this area of the country you are average in the 500-2000 acre range and there are fewer guys who farm from 2000-3000 acres and virtually not very many at all who farm more than 3000 acres. Anybody who farms more than 3000 acres around here is nothing more than self serving greed on wheels a large field here is 80-1XX acres. and some fields are no larger than an acre or two. Typically the more acres somebody farms around here the more diversified they are in raising a variety of crops other than corn and beans. I think the main reason is the dealership is pretty close to a large city and there are some pretty suburban farmers who would OWN a 9860 with a 35ft head and farm less than 2000 acres. Most of these types had (or at least their families) farms where the city was built and they have been moved once or twice due to highway projects or just "Urban Sprawl. It's a pretty raw deal to have your farm bought from you for what it's worth and then have it replaced in full at no cost to you just for the inconvinience of moving. Then you can run a 9860 for your 1000 acre garden. and then have to move again!!! dam the luck

· Registered
380 Posts
I hear you deereman... You'll never see a manufacterer tell you the real differences in machines as well as the fact you'll never see a comparision of the two (9860Vs.9760) HP is the only real difference. How much cheaper I think the 9860 uses the 12.5L engine and the 9760 uses the
?? 9.0 I think. When they put these machines on the market they are trying hard to play on the ego's of some guys. They know that certain people will own the 9860 just because it's the biggest one they make. I could see justifying the 9860 if you have like 5000 acres to harvest in a pretty short window even then I'm still not sure you'd gain much with the extra ponys. Probably just really slug one badly with that extra horsepower packing it in there when It shouldn't. If the 97's had the same engine (12.5) how hard or costly would it be to buy one and turn it up a little more to get the horsepower if needed????????????????

· Registered
380 Posts
I can understand a guy in (farmboy) situation having an 8010 because up until now case hasn't had a class seven machine. And from what I hear there is a big difference in an 2388 and a 8010 (true class 8) Plus if you have that kind of support equipment and bin setup why not let the big dog eat. A lot of CH's run 9660's and 9760's but very few run 9860's for some odd reason and a lot of them are going through as many acres as anybody is. However, different situations require different equipment. And if your trying to harvest as much acreage as a custom harvester would with 3 class 6 or 7 machines a class 8 would help ease the crunch. Hopefully deere will make necessary changes to make the new 9870 STS a true class 8 so the big boys will have a chance at a combine that has more than just extra horsepower.

· Registered
380 Posts
Which draper??? I've seen CH's use 936D on 9660 before. I seriously don't think there is any difference in the two besides horsepower and maybe some other minor indifferences. Who really gives a hoot about the 60 series they are going obsolete by next year. The 70 are already surfacing..... The real question here is what's the differences of the 9770 and the 9870????

· Registered
380 Posts
couldn't have said it any better myself... If you buy a 9760 and then chip it up it will be so dam close to 98 there probably isn't any difference at all....

· Registered
380 Posts
I wonder how much fuel a 9860 burns in a day??? I wonder how much fuel the new 9870 burns in a day??? I think it's funny how car dealers have to have that info to make a sell. Imagine if Deere had to give you the "strait dope." Like a car dealership. Put all the chips on the table then see if they still want it??? You'd never get that kind of info from a salesman. unless they were on top. They always brag about the things they do have but never want to tallk about the "flaws" My local deere salesman gets all sweaty and v-lines for the bathroom every time I walk in the door. He accuses me of knowing more about their machinery than they do.

· Registered
380 Posts
I don't care what deere doesn't know in their catalog. Of course a 9760 will handle a 36D. heck in 2005 when I was in California with Neufelds we ran 936D on 9660 (at a whopping 1.5 mph). Case's catalog says 8010 will only handle 12 row. Give me a break if you don't mind going a little slower an 8010 can handle a 16 row corn head. Especially a calmer with the lower weight because of one gathering chain per row ( equivalent to an 8- row head.). Manufacturers don't always give the "strait dope." Does chevy advertise that their vette can do 160 mph...No but It can trust me....

My point about the fuel use wasn't about conditions it was just a point that I made about how secretive those machines are being kept by their dealers. and manufacturers. I wish Nebraska tractor test would update their archives and start testing combines as well.

Basically you should know what to expect from a machine that you are spending $300-400+ grand on. Imagine trading off a 9610 on a 9770 and at the end of the harvest you really didn't gain more than a couple days earlier on finishing and then you realize instead of using 2000 gallons to complete harvest you used 3200 gallons. Not a good surprise indeed. My neighbor tried out a challenger 670 and never stopped complaining about how much fuel it would use compared to his older deere. And he said at the end of the day their wasn't enough gained to justify the cost of the fuel let alone the machine. Mocutter which components are heavier???

· Registered
380 Posts
Ok so you own a car that goes 3x the speed limit and your too big of a chicken to drive it the way it deserves to be drove. And for the record the guy who told me that the challenger was a piece of crap is not only a farmer he is also an accountant who I can assure you can crunch numbers in circles around you.... In his sleep!!! A wise man once said you can either keep your mouth shut and make them wonder if your stupid or in muddy's case you can open it and remove all doubt.
your momma must be proud to say she raised the most argumentative person in the world. You must have got beat up a lot when you were young...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.