The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not have any experience with these big machines. In my area there are alot of 9670's and a few 9770's. a former coworker took a new job as a farm hand about 75 miles north and on his last visit he was telling me they were very disappointed in the horsepower with there 9870. He went on to say that they didnt notice much difference in power between the 9860 and the 9870. but did go on to say the 9870 really liked fuel compared to the 60. i wondered if this was the same oppinion of others or if they had a really good 60 and a really bad 70. thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would say this is a trend that you will see in all brands. Some how making them pollution free has robbed them of power and using more fuel, doesn't make any sence to me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
we have a customer that has ran 4 9860's for 3 years, he got 2 9870's to demo along side and he said that there was no comparison on hp.
all in the same field, all with 635F heads
getting at least 2 for next year

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
The new chopper takes more hp, and I know deere says it doesn't.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I traded a 9760/9860 for one 9870 how much capacity will i lose?? I figure 9760 at 3.7 in 60 bu. wheat with 30 ' head, 9860 at 4.4 with 35' head both 635 flex heads. so that gives me 7.4 mph allowing for smaller head on 9760. I ordered 35' draper on 9870. most on this forum say you gain 1-1.5 for draper, how much for larger capacity,HP on 9870? I will say 1mph, I will have RTK guidance so thats probably another 5 % in swath control=.35mph No chopper= .5 for a total speed of 6.75 plus you can always get one running faster in the morning, move one faster, run it myself, fuel one, insurance, 1 cheaper than 2, maintenance I know the speed was correct on 60's from last year. in corn and beans we will just have to run more hours there is not that much difference in capacity because we only make 80-150 on corn and a whole lot more 80 lately because of drought, beans 15-50. but you can run 15-18 hours per day in summer it is usually hot and dry. your opinions appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I like the thought and effort you have put into your figures but one 9870 is nowhere near going to replace a 9760 and a 9860 running together. Remember no matter how hard we try we cannot map out and plan for everything. An example, you mentioned above about only having one machine to fuel and insure and such, well what about when the one machine breaks down? Running two, you are pretty unlucky to lose both at the same time (though i have seen it happen plenty) at least one can battle on and achieve something.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yea I know I tried it with a 8010 traded 2 2388s 8010 would do about 1.5 t0 1.75 depending on conditions but it never would stay in Field more than a day or two. the 60's have been no problem and I'm not BSing, plus i think deere is still a fixable machine even i can do a little to keep one running, the control pressure and all that crap was above everybodys head around here even CNH BOYS AT THE TIME. I think it might be close to numbers if it is as reliable as the last 2. But in reality i know in farming everything on paper needs to be cut in half. if it does not work i will rent one or hire someone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts