The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the video. How slow was he going? I understand that was 16 rows, but man he was going slow.

·
Registered
745 Posts
-> the crop looks really weak.

And he isnt that fast idd.
But I prefer going slower with a bigger header than the other way round.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ran a 9860 and 16 row head for four years and trust me I'm sure he really was going that slow. Just not a 16 row machine if your in good corn country.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You seem to forget that Deere offered 12-row combines for well over a decade before C/IH even thought about trying to shove 12 rows through a red rotary. I'm sure Deere will be coming along with a true 16-row machine that will give your 9120 all it wants within a couple of years at most. Right now, there's few operations that can really use the capacity of a 16-row on corn. Most operations can't handle a 12-row.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Quote:Which 12 row combines are those? 9600? I suppose that a 12 row would fit on them but will they go slow enough not to send it out the back end?

I have picked heaps of acres with a 12 row on a 9600 and didn't have that problem. Yes you do run slower than you would with an 8 row, but we tested both at the time and could do more with a 12 running a bit slower. Lots of 9600's ran 12 rows, I remember a guy in our area tried to put one on a 2188. He had to stack a massive amount of weight on the back axle to keep her down and then broke the back axle a few days later cos of the extra weight.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Which 12 row combines are those? 9600? I suppose that a 12 row would fit on them but will they go slow enough not to send it out the back end?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Parts, the 8820 was offerred with a 12 row. The axial flows did not have enough horsepower to be able to whip a John Deere walker until the 2388. Then the game changed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You seem to forget that Deere offered 12-row combines for well over a decade before C/IH even thought about trying to shove 12 rows through a red rotary. I'm sure Deere will be coming along with a true 16-row machine that will give your 9120 all it wants within a couple of years at most. Right now, there's few operations that can really use the capacity of a 16-row on corn. Most operations can't handle a 12-row.

Don't forget who was the first combine maker to offer a combine to handle a 12 row corn head....years before anyone else......hmmmm, that was 30 years ago!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Don't forget who was the first combine maker to offer a combine to handle a 12 row corn head....years before anyone else......hmmmm, that was 30 years ago!

If your referring to gleaner well then ok. Hey, did that still have the angle iron bolts to the pipe for snapping rolls

Even A 2388 I think would have a hard time handling a 12 row head, look at those cute little final drives

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
if it gets the job done....gleaner usually had some heavy axles also, which all engineers should know is a good idea.

btw i think that deere is harvesting faster than the case we demo'd at work can travel down the road...we run a 9660, 9770, and 2 9670's where i work. case brought out a 7120 to try, and it burnt more fuel than the deere's, and had a top speed of 18 mph with a 4 speed tranny. i knew case's were slow, but really? 18mph??? my old mans 1979 N-6 goes faster than that!

the boss runs a 16 row gehrringhof on his 9770. 8 row deere's on the others.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree about the 2188 thing and the 2388 thing, few years back a local case dealer talked about bringing a 2388 out to show a close friend how to pick corn, he was demoing against a 2003 9750sts with a 16/22 deere cornhead, well the story goes , our new 12row ready 2388 will out pick your sts, and give a better sample??????well case dealer shows up, bright shiny new 2388, I will admit myself that case combines are good looking machines!!back to the story, case brought a bish adapter so the 16/22 could be used, 9750sts backs out,2388 drives up hooks the 16/22 and OOP'S the over rated 2388 couldn't lift the 16/22????well the the sales man says got to be a problem we will send out a tech. my friend says well we aren't going to waste anymore time , rehooks the 9750sts and procedes to give the case dealer a lesson in picking irrigated corn , while the 2388 went back on the semi.I personally like the rotary concept and have had a great deal of respect for all of the red rotary's, how ever, case didn't have a machine that would compare till the 8010, 7010's appeared. My friend in question run the 16/22 on a 1990 9600 previous to the 9750sts, we have a 1981 8820 running a 1293 deere with no issues, this was the first year that deere entered the 12 row market, case????correct me if i'm wrong 2002, 2003??????with that said I agree with others Deere isn't the company that has been behind over the years.With new machines on the horizon Deere will prove itself to be out front for along time, now if we could find homes for the red bines that we have on our lot that would be great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is a road mode button that shuts off all field operations when roading the maching. When engaged you can go 21+ mph. They limit road speed to 18mph without the button engaged to force you to use it. Its a pain if you forget to press it because you have to be fully stopped to engage it but it is a good safety feature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
there is another video on youtube of a 9870 running a 16 row head and is flying through the field! sorry cant find it now but it is on my favorites list somewhere just search through it under my user name from here on youtube.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts