The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9860 STS runs but only just at 270RPM checked fuel coming out of tank and screen there and fuel filters they seem ok, any other suggestions? What fuel pressure should I be getting at the filter housing? Any help much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
270 rpm? That low and it does run? I am impressed it runs that low of rpm. Does it smoke? What color smoke? White, black?
I ask because it takes a few very basic things to run. You seem to understand this and went for checking fuel and asking fuel pressure required. I don't know. At only 270rpm I would guess you have zero. It must be pulling a vacum if fuel is your issue? How about air? Something very plugged. I have never seen air so plugged it pulls down idle. It would guess it would be smoking. Electronic engines make basic diagnosis a bit harder. They can monitor air flow and compensate for proper amount of fuel needed. That or manifold pressure. Then they don't smoke.

Running this around in my head as I type. Also consider a load on the engine. I am a bit stumped. Love to know what you find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok sorry for not getting back, have checked all wiring from engine to ECU right done to in front of the Chopper jack shaft as I know they can have issues with rubbed wires and cleaned all earths, remove rocker cover and checked wiring to each injector, we changed filters even though they looked good just to eliminate them, spoke with local JD dealer and I have done all I can do he seems to think it will have done a ECU from the static electricity, so will get the dealer out and swap out the ECU and see if that’s it, will keep you posted

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
I have ran into a rubbed harness at the feederhouse to header connection area that caused strange engine problems. I do remember it was an engine complaint, I don't remember exactly what the complaint was. I think it was on a 9650sts and did not have the quick connect. Went to one combine, checked it all over. Owner drove up and I told him I couldn't make it act up. He was glad because I was on the wrong 9650sts. Went to the correct combine and it was acting up. I happened to notice the rubbed harness as I was doing my initial walk around look over. Luckiest find I ever had. Repaired the harness and it never acted up again. Spent more time trying to find the problem on the good combine. He luckily got a laugh out of it and commented about how at least I was honest and didn't make up a problem. :) Have not seen many ECUs go bad. I have never seen one go bad from static. Not saying it isn't possible.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
The ECU would be the last thing I would look at. I'm surprised that it would even run at that slow of speed let alone start. I would say you need a computer hooked to it to find out. It's getting a false reading from somewhere or fuel issues.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I’m not certain if the XX60 series had a large circuit board under the console like the XX50 series that encompasses the throttle and starting circuit, but I have seen that be the problem before, just not quite with that low of RPM. Molding a beverage holder into the console was a very bad idea, but surely made some easy money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I found another 9860 in the area and swapped out the ECU and off we go. Thanks everyone for the help, cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts