The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after I've read more about the 9860sts all it amounts too for me is that it's a 9660 or 9760 just with that 12.1L motor, does it really justify putting an extra 4 liters on a motor that just adds weight to a combine and not really much more capacity? I may be way off base but from what I've read they're basically all the same machine just with different horsepower ratings.

Your Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
On the plus side, the weight is at the back of the machine. If you throw a 12 row corn head on the front, this makes the rear end that much more solid without adding weights or fluid in the tires.

-Lance

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
according to the STS booklet from John Deere, the grain tanks are the same size from 9660-9860sts combines, the new 9560sts is 220 which is 30 bushes smaller than the small tank on the 9660 which is 250 but that too can be a 300 when ordered that way. They all have 250 gallon fuel tanks, the 9560 has a 200. They have the HUR (High Unload Rate) except the 9560 which is still 2.2 bu./sec. but the 9660 can be equiped with the 3.3 bu./sec. rate the same as the 97 & 9860sts. I really don't see the difference here, sure you can have a bigger motor but everything else is the same, I don't see how it justifies having something so big when you can get the same model in a smaller version for less money.

Alex

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Case IH has done the same thing with the 2388 platform and created the 2377. It is the same combine, but with a de-tuned engine. I'm not positive, but it could possibly have a smaller rotor gear box, like the older 2388s had. Aside from the 2377 not having some tin hopper extensions, its the same machine.

Now in order to sell it, I think it is priced like $18,000 less than the 2388. The only savings they have on the MFG side is the hopper extension, since the engine blocks are the same. So basically CNH is getting less profit on the 2377.

I can't figure out it's niche anyway? The 2388 is almost a perfect match of threshing/cleaning capacity to horsepower. If anything, I'd like to see another 20 HP on the 2388, but that puts it out of balance to the rest of the machine. It will blow rotor belts with the HP it has now under the right conditions.

-Lance

·
Registered
298 Posts
We run a 9660 sts in rice and we have heard that the 9860sts runs faster with a stripper header than the 9660 but 6mph and 5mph in down rice is nothing to laugh at so most people around here buy a 9660sts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts