The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there guys,
its our first year running with a 9870 and we have plugged the beater 4 times now and in many years we have never plugged a beater on any combine. 3 of the 4 times it plugged because of a loss of horsepower related to a fuel problem which is now solved. each time it has plugged during slightly tougher conditions at night and in the morning. i plugged it tonight at 9:30 pm doing 5 mph in canola and am not too sure whats going on. we arent pushing the combine too much and its also a new belt. is the beater the weaklink on the 9870 or does anyone have any suggestions? any suggestions on unplugging are gladly welcomed too as i havent found a way that is too easy yet haha

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This one is strange. I have had the exact same thing happen, I got a fuel blockage and plugged the discharge beater. It kept plugging until I replaced the belt in the morning, then I had no more problems. You said you have already replaced the belt, so I am not sure. Was it really wet and ropey when it happened?

And as for tips, I wish I had some, it is not the funnest job you can do on a combine!

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
I assume your talking about the discharge beater not the feed accelerator. Unplugging the discharge beater isn't fun, having to remove shields to gain access to the rear concaves which then need to be dropped down makes for a long turnaround time. We plugged 3 combines in one hour in peas running our rotors at 200 (to prevent cracking) and once we sped up the rotors a bit the problem was solved. What are your combine settings? We routinely run 23 concave clearance and 600-700 rotor speed and some years where the straw is very tough we have run it as high as 800. Never a problem with the discharge beater in canola.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Pf parts has a beater speed up kit that is supposed to help that. If you are straight-cutting canola like many others this year, those green stems can plug things in a hurry.

·
Registered
400 Posts
lucky me, i got to do one yesterday,
mine was a 9750 in soybeans with some pretty tough stalks.
we could rock it about 6 inches so i thought that it might pull it through, wrong. i had the rotor in neutral, feed acc belt loose, and the chopper was off.
THAT ONE LITTLE BELT KILLED THE ENGINE!!!
i figured for sure that if anything was going to happen, the belt would turn to smoke.
we ended up pulling the cover off of the top of the beater, below the rotor belt, and dropping the discharge grate down underneath and digging, one hand full at a time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are paddles that you can replace the back separater tines on the rotor with. They help give a little more push in the empty transition zone between the end of the rotor and the beater. Works good around here any ways in dry beans.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I plugged our 9870 today. I was cruising along around 4mph with a 40' FD 70 feeding smooth as butter in soybeans. Without any warning whatsoever the combine ground to a halt. No low speed warnings even registered until I switched the header and separator switch off and restarted the engine. On the command screen the message said "discharge beater speed zero" I cracked the cab door open as I switched the separator on. Instantly killed the engine........My exact words: "s?!t"

Now these soybeans were not that thick and gangly the only thing that I seen was a few green leaves still hanging on, maybe a couple of green stems. This is what I feel plugged the beater up.

I could not get over how well the header was feeding the material in yet the combine plugged up. Like i said, there was no warning. Not a growl, clunk, shimmy, or shake! Furthermore I really don't feel that I was pushing the combine that hard at all. I set my losses the day before and determined that losses started to show up in these beans (65-70 bu./ac.) at around 4.5mph.

Now, I'm no engineer, but upon professional inspection, (pulling bean stems out one fist-full at a time) I determined that the transition between the end of the rotor and the discharge beater "created" the slug which wedged itself firmly underneath the right hand side of the discharge beater, stopping it dead in it's tracks. Followed by the rotor. I called it a "power shutdown." I could see where the beater belt slipped on the small pulley for that small instant.

We built a wrench (5 13/16 fits on variable sheave) to turn the rotor back wards, took the last set of grates out and pulled the stems out from the right hand side of the rotor.

Mshaw, the paddles you mentioned seem like they might be worth trying.

Greentech, how does the speedup kit you speak of affect the transition of material flow from the beater to the chopper?

·
Registered
161 Posts
FYI the paddles Mshaw mentioned are called discharge flights, part# BH84581 whole goods kit.
I'll find out in the morning if the dealer will take care of us, or stick it in us if you know what I mean. I'm sure they will cost about $300.
Kind of like the extra set of concaves we had to get to make it thrash wheat, $2500, or the $100 fuel filters. I could go on and on. Sorry about the rant. It's been a long day, I'm goin to bed now.

·
Registered
400 Posts
pretty sure that they are going to be your baby. attachments like that won't be warranty.
another thing, is that that bundle number is no good, the bundle number in the parts book is no good. it is now broke down into 2 different kits.
#7 - AH232912
#8 - AH220415

unfortunatly, deere doesn't have any available in the system. however, we did get some in a week or so after ordering.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have not installed a speed up kit yet, but pf parts tells me it greatly decreases the chance of material buildup between the rotor and beater which is noticed by the engine lugging down and recovering very slowly. The only problem with transition to the chopper might be a change in material load side to side because it grabs it off the rotor quicker. This could be controlled by adjusting the deflector fins behind the beater grates.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just a comment to you "rear beater pluggers". I'm sure this kit from JD will probably help, but on our machine we never run the concave gap past 20 for that very reason. I don't want to unplug the rear beater. I guess this leads to the question, what was your concave setting when you plugged. I think the risk of a rear beater plugging increases as concave gap increases and rotor speed decreases. I would try to compensate with other adjustments before opening the concave past 20. If this is not an option in some crops then think about putting in the kit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
concave was set at 14
rotor rpm was 480

Since then I shifted to high range and have been running 550. I really can't go any higher than that as I am getting too many splits (11.5% afternoon moisture).

We are still new to rotors. The recomended settings call for `15-25 on the concave I think. On our 9610 walker machines we always ran the concaves less than 5. If I lower my threshing clearance I think it will tend to process the green stems more before they exit the back. However, how much horsepower will that eat up? Will the concave adjuster hold? At 15-20 I was getting the job done, running nearly nothing through the tailings elevator. It still seems to me the rear end of the rotor is the weak link. How tight can you run the concaves before you have trouble? We are feeding smooth, with no slugs.

Greentech, tell me more about the pf parts speed up kit, where to get it, etc. That sudden loss of power and the slow recovery was definitely what happened to me, only there was no recovery, ha ha. Since then I have lost power 3 or 4 times, it makes you want to hold your breath til things clear out back there!! We ran yesterday in a variety twice as bushy and rank, only no green stems. And had no trouble at all. This machine really hates green stems. The only real trouble is you don't know if you took the green stems too fast until it's too late. Seems like deere put the bottleneck on the wrong end of the combine!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Green stems, really dry beans, sounds like pretty challenging threshing conditions! I don't think it will eat up that much more horses closing up the concave. You might want to close it till it starts to grumble a little. I actually think there is less stress on the concave adjustment mechanism if it's closed more. (less chance for big wads). Definitely run the rotor as fast as you can and still tolerate the cracks. It's more fun processing that stuff in the rotor than pulling it out of the rear beater.
Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Should straw chopper always be on high for soybeans, or can it run on low for power reasons and materials still stay away from rear beater???

Does the Pf speed up kit have any negative effect in corn besides rear beater wears out a little faster, or at least paddles do???

·
Registered
161 Posts
[quote author=ststech board=JD thread=8574 post=73331 time=1223828412]pretty sure that they are going to be your baby. attachments like that won't be warranty.

OK, we finally got a hold of our discharge flights. Our dealer printed instructions on how and where to install them. Here are some special notes on the install locations(difference between 60 and 70 series):

Take note of what I have highlighted. Now Deere made it possible for the rotor to move more material with this new "more aggressive vane in the housing."

I'm not complaining about more capacity, but they only created another problem. The discharge beater can no longer keep up with this increased material which all tends to come off the rotor and into the discharge beater on the right side.

Now, why should a customer who just invested 300k in a combine that cannot be pushed to it's capacity be required to pay for their research and development?

==============================================
This will be easer to read.

DPAC: 78103 KEYWORDS: 9770STS 9750STS 9760STS 9650STS 9660STS 9860STS 9670STS
BUNDLE BEATER
PTS BH84478 H215745 H218267 H218266 BH84581

Where Should the Discharge Flights (Paddles) Be Installed -
BH84478 / BH84581
Where Should the Discharge Flights (Paddles) Be Installed - BH84478

What is the best location for the discharge flights on the rotor in 50 -
70 Series STS machines?

What is the best location for the discharge flights on the rotor in 50 -
70 Series STS machines?

The instructions have you install the flights in place of tines 21, 22,
23 and 24. This
is the best location for 50 and 60 Series machine with the standard
rotor, it is also valid for
all STS machines, 50ÿ70 Series. Standard_Locations.pdf
The optimum location for the 60 Series Bullet Rotor machines, would be
installed in positions
23 and 24. Bullet_Rotor.pdf
With the introduction of the new discharge housing in the 70 series,
there is an aggressive
vane in the housing that helps move material out
. The paddles line up
with that vane when they
are installed in the next to the rear positions -- 21 and 22.
==============================================

·
Registered
63 Posts
Common sense I assume but on recently purchased 9560, there are two vanes back of rear beater that appear to be fixed in place by two bolts. How does the slot behind those two bolts come into use??? Or is this vane used in other machines and slot is used then. I'm throwing to the right it appears in beans and I was trying to adjust there if possible??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to run green combines and if you are plugging the beater their is a quick fix for that. Get rid of it and get a red 8010 and your problems will be over. We were in a field the other day with 3 8010 and 1 9120 and i JD 9870 Those red ones were driving circles around that green combine. I am sure glad I saw the light that green color is not cracked up to be what a lot of guys think it is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have ran a 9870 for two years now and have been lucky enough not to have ever plugged the beater. I did notice that binbuster was set on 14 and 480 I usually run around 18 and 650 and do a great job that's in 65 to 80 bu. soybeans with a 35ft. platform. Just thinking maybe he was a little tight on the concave and a little slow on the rotor. maybe causing thing to hold up a little.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JD factory rep. @ Red Deer farm show admitted to rear discharge plugging issues in canola and peas . Now they are having problems in soybeans. Only happening with 9870s since they have a different beater design than 9770. Claimed problem will rectified for 09 season.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts