The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well deere finally brought out the 9870 sts with a 36
draper on the front to up against the 8010 with a 36ft draper we have.. Running in 95 bpa with red clover underseeded, leaving 6inches of stubble and spreading the straw.

8010 ran 3.3-3.6 mph with less the 0.75% loss
9870 ran max of 3 mph anything faster the red clover would kill the combine only ran for about an hour in the deere that was enough for me after hearing from the local dealer how the 9870 was so much better then the 8010 ..

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
well i hope he deere was set properly to give you a good demo... I like the sound of the side by side.... What else did you like better....cab,seat,quiet. ect,ect......

·
Registered
236 Posts
We had a chance to demo a 9860 last fall. The dealer CSR was with it so it should have been set right. We ran both with 36 ft drapers in wheat going about 55 b/acre testing 17%. The combines ran about the same speed all day 4-4.5 mph and into the tough evening2.5-3.0 mph(we ran latter than usual to see how they compare in tought straw) The sample quality was good from both combines. Judging by that I would have said they were the same but, we have a scale on our grain cart and it showed the 8010 was taking off 14% more grain in a hour. We also found a end to end test of 2.7 bushels to the acre more from the 8010. A couple days later he was back in 36 ft swathed canola and the 8010 weighted out nearly 20% bigger. The Deere did do a little better job spreading straw especially in a side wind and straw was cut better in the tought wheat (both had fine cut options) The auger on the Deere didnt spill a bushel of grain on the ground every time it was swung in. Both burnt the same amount of fuel per bushel combined. The rad and air filters on Deere were alot cleaner than the 8010 after 1 day in dusty canola (8010 is a 06 model year) 8010 cab controls and moniter system are alot nicer,deere cab was quieter. The Deere had some trouble with rotor belt slip in canola dust and plugged a couple times. 8010 plugged feeder in piles that the Deere could put through. The 8010 had alot better power growth to pull through a tough spot and the rotor drive could handle it. Thats were the big increase in capacity came over the Deere.

·
Registered
236 Posts
well magnum 8930....We dont buy equipment on this farm based on color. From the outside our farm looks pretty red but our first loyalty is to our farm, not a manufacturer or dealer.... When its time to buy we look at performance,options,price,resale value,dealer support for all the colors..... we weigh the options very carfully and openly, when we make a choice its based on hard facts from our farm...were it counts!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
agreed. those are the kind of posts that should be on here all the time, which i am guilty of the opposite at times.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Thanks both of you... ive talked to 2 guys who did a demo and both said the same thing for the most part.... the case saved more grain on avg...

and then everything else you said...

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
We seen this same demo last fall in our area, on corn. 200bpa about 17-25% moisture. Both 12row 30''. They both did great up to 18-19% then deere didn't have enough sieve. We've ran a 2188 for about 5-6 years and were about to trade for a deere until we got to try a 7010 and 8010. In my opinion deere had a combine with more capacity until 8010, but they will catch up again. I agree with redtech. they are similar, and it comes down to service, price, and just plain old what you want.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great post redtech, but if you had rotor belt slip on the john deere something was not not right. I'm not sayin it can't happen, but we have run 9860sts premiums for two seasons and have yet to slip a belt if it was adjusted properly. We sometimes cut very tough canola.Again great post

·
Super Moderator
3,982 Posts
I also find it odd to have belt slip on a 9860.
All the units I've been around from a positive drive standpoint were as close to a gear/chain drive as you can get.
8010's have that "feature" where just when the engine torque is approaching peak, it kicks the threshing unit out of gear. WHAT?
And in the tough canola straw you refer to that didn't take much.

Don

·
Registered
236 Posts
The belt slip wasnt a big issue for us,just a observation. Both times he plugged he was able to drop concaves and get it cleared with out much trouble. I think the issue was the canola dust causing the belt to glaze the belt. Its pretty common in our area on all colors of combines. My brother-in-law has a 9750 and has same problem after 3 or 4 days in canola,if he goes back into another crop the belt cleans up and he is good We used to have same problem with our 2388's and TR's when the canola straw was realy rotten and dusty

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
deeres s*** doesn't everyone know it. its called over speed protection don. keeps the CVT from having a meltdown. it stops you roll it out and off you go. will do it green wet soybeans as well my old 8010 did it every once and while. my deere salesman just plain scared to come around. said maybe in a few years.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
haha....(dragoguy) do you still like your case sprayer!!!!

i do but my d**n air compressor is squealing looks like thats going to go soon..i hope it will hold on untill after season.....

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am not sure on the model numbers but if you had a Deere 9870 against a Case IH 8010 this is not an apples to apples comparison.

The Case IH combine should have been a 9120 not an 8010 because the 9870 is Deere's so called "Big Dog"

The combine in the first demo should have been a 9860 Deere working against an 8010
This I feel would have been a much closer comparison

·
Registered
275 Posts
Have run 12 different deeres in the last 8 years, and the only one to slip the rotor drive at all was short of grease from the factory on the drive sheave. Had to remove a plug and pump about 40 shots into it. Problem solved. They will not slip when proper, they will stall.
Used to run cases for many years, and yes they would have slippage in canola dust after a few days.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hold your horses on that thought pureel, Deere have no match for the 9120, and yes to compare apples with apples the 9870 is Deere's newest so it should run against a 8120, and not a 8010, both the Deere and case are stall mates as they are both class 8 machines!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
But last year the 8010 was the only offering from Case when the 9870 was introduced. Last year the 8010 was still case's newest offering so I doubt that it makes much of a difference. Either way, the Case was more impressive than the 9870 for afxit.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts