The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 28l-26 tires on rear and impossible to steer when not moving.Makes topping off a truck next to impossible for my girls.Dealer says this is normal. Pathetic on Deeres part I think. Anyone else having trouble with poor steering? Also the moisture meter keeps stalling. Blanks out both Y+M when this happens. Put 2 new units in and still does this. So much for yield maps? Dealer says its a circuit board problem. Anyone else with this problem?

·
Registered
604 Posts
there is also an update kit for the moisture sensor that puts longer shields on each side and and new plunger end. Our would work until the hopper would get about 1/2 half full and then quit working until we unloaded. Put on update kit and everything worked great. Ours was a 9770

·
Super Moderator
3,469 Posts
Too bad as there wasn't any effect on hand steering in the early days of integrated AT.
Kinda the band-aid approach to change steering wheels but I can tell you 9000 series tractor steering wheel fits too.
I tried it the other way around, tractor steered fine but the steering knob seemed intrusive when your steering with alternating hands, which you don't do on a combine.
You wouldn't think that little extra diameter would make that much difference but it did.
Research you understand.

No, I will NOT steer either one without a steering knob.

Don

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does the combine have integrated autotrac? If it does everyone this year is complaining about hard strreing. My territory manager said to put a larger steering wheel on it off a 9610. Deere is aware of the issue and for this year it is the oly fix next to trying a $1200 steering valve, I have installed about 5 steering wheels and it is night and day compared to the small one. It only takes about 5 min to swap out.

As far as the moisture sensor make sure the connector going into the sensor is TIGHT. Also make sure the plunger is not worn and that the chute is tight against the plunger. There are two bolts on either side of the plunger, if you loosen them and squeeze the chute against the plunger and tighten the bolts that should help keep some debris from getting behind the plunger and stalling it. Also make sure fuse F47 is ok it is the fuse that powers the moisture sensor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had moisture sensor problem on a 9560. the grain went pass the plunger jammed it solid i had to take the thing apart to clean it. it eventually failed completely the thermal sensor was showing temperature over 200f and the plunger was cycling with ingnition off untill the batery dies out. by the way that moisture sensor is about 3000$ to replace and an other 300 for the plunger part

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
For 09 or 10 machines it wasn't even a deduct. And everyone has complained about it because it makes them harder to steer and hardly any of my customers use autotrac on a combine anyways. Our fields are small and makes it useless to most guys. Have a few guys planning on using rowsense next year so we'll see if the benefits outweigh the hard steering.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Rowsense is the best thing deere has done for along time for harvesting. We sold about 20 rowsense units this year and they worked perfect. We are in severe rolling hills and contours. As long as you set it up as adaptive curves adn record the frist pass it will follow contours rather well. You can't go around a 90 degree corner at five miles an hour and expect it to follow, but at 1.5-2 mph it wil follow just fine. Like I said install the larger steering wheel and all the complaints about hard steering will be gone. You just have to get used to the larger steering wheel again.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Yea i think it will be the trick, our Lexion customers love the non Gps autosteer on the cornheads, so I'm sure everyone will love rowsense

I have two older customer (65+) that I sold 9770's too that have the 9500/9510 steering wheel installed and still have major complaints, neither of whom use autotrac, so deere has provided us with a fix to take the autotrac steering valve off and put the 08 style valve on and a software update to tell the machine it doesn't have autotrac and the say will fix the problem. I believe it will because our older non autotrac 70 series customers have no complaints.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts