The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard through the grapevine that there was a PIP for the 5 speed feederhouse drive. Just wondering if anybody else knew anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: 9870 PIP

What did they do to it? Did it fix the annoying hydraulic whine you hear at low idle or something more serious?

·
Registered
18 Posts

No the annoying whine is still there at idle. So in other words your dealer can't fix that for you either? The PIP is only to replace the 3 cross bearings in the big shaft from engine gearcase to the 5-speed header transmission. Some had vibration in shaft till bearings gave out. Does your 9870 overheat when temps are above 85*-90*? My alarm was going off during wheat harvest and was finding chaff on radiator. Do you have a strong hydrostatic drive in it? Can you start out in third gear with bin empty on level field very easy? Mine you can't.
Sorry for all the questions and not starting new paragraphs.
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts

We have the 5 speed on a 9770 and I've only had it in the field for 1 day in corn.
Can't comment on the high temp issue. I wish we could try it out on an 85* day..... corn is very wet yet here in IL.... need some heat to dry things out! Can't really comment on the hydro either. Seems fine out on the road. We never are in 3rd in the field.
DTAC's answer to the whine was.... "Yeah, it does that." You would think a high dollar engineer could come up with a fix for that.
Is your machine an '08 or '09? Might be newer machines already have the correct bearings?
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Yes mine is an '08.
Wondering what temp. other 9870's with the 13.5L ran this summer.

·
Registered
400 Posts

FYI
the pip is for MY08 9870's with the 5-speed feeder house drive
it replaces the u-joint crosses in the main drive shaft from the engine gearcase to the 5-speed
also have to check for cracks in the frame. due to vibration from failure of u-joints

·
Registered
400 Posts

no, it was just for MY08 9870's

scratch that,
as of 10/28, deere added a small amount of early build MY09 9770's to the pip list serial # 730103 - 730110

1 - 11 of 11 Posts