The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,940 Posts
Doesn't seem to be.
But it can block up or get build up in places after a while. Especially in bearded wheat like durum.

Have one in a 9870.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is capacity cut with a self leveling shoe, looking at a 9870 with one and don't want to cut capacity. Thanks
Yes, it limits capacity, more shrouding with the design.

It is also a source of trouble, more to go wrong. This is one option
that can hurt the value. I bought a used 9770 this past year, and
would not have bought one with this feature.

·
Registered
69 Posts
DO NOT get the self leveling shoe!! Not only does it reduce capacity, but a neighbor who had it on his 9870 was cutting barley (which you might not raise) had sieve jam full of beards and the shoe got stuck to one side and started shoving grain out the back. Even got so bad it started pouring out over the fan, leaving a trail around the field. That combine is gone to say the least.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh my...SLS a problem?!? Please. Yes, it can build up material that needs to be clean out in small grains, and some like barley are worse than others for sure. I went over 10,000 acres of wheat and never had an need for cleaning. Also never saw a change in capacity...probably because the rotor is always the limiting factor. Does it reduce sieve area? Yes, a slight amount. However it's still usually a total non-issue since rotor loss will slow you down first anyways. There were updated SLS bays, so many of the problems initially reported (like in most cases) were first year machines. Sure, barley will most likely require occasional cleaning, so you get to decide if it's worth it for you. Barley beards build up in any sieve.....

As for the bay getting stuck and shoveling out grain...sure it could happen (just like ANY brand that has a self leveling shoe). If it was stuck you would receive a code immediately that a problem leveling occurred, and grain loss monitor would tell you immediately. It's not as if any attentive operator would harvest a field unknowingly that a problem occurred.

The system is actually quite simple (two electric motors, two potentiometers and one level sensor)and very effective in the hills. In our area is hard to find a 70 series machine without SLS....very few problems. It is a sought after option here. If you have no reason to benefit from increased performance in hills they sure, get a standard sieve. But I wouldn't turn down a good machine I liked just because it has this option. We pilled on a lot of hours and were very pleased with less loss in terraces and hills, and it is completely unnoticed in it's operation.

For the record Deere has always said it's hillside divider kit offered great performance, and SLS was not really needed. Probably true unless you had a 12 row corn head in high yielding corn where volume is a key issue. Probably is true the push to introduce it was somewhat a marketing "me too" move, however it did increase performance for many. It really was designed for corn's high volume. Longer sieves help immensely, hence the S-series got stretched and solved most of the problem. However, SLS actually IS still offered on S-series machines in other parts of the world.....the buttons are on the console and it's clearly listed in the parts book.

I have 8 complete chaffer and sieve SLS bays with only a few hundred hours sitting in my shop that I'm dying to part with.....deep tooth design.
Your right the computer did indicate a problem, not sure at what point he stopped(wasn't in the cab with him). However, after he traded in the combine mother deere acknowledged the problem and paid to have normal sieves put in that combine, so take it for what it is worth.

Not to mention, it was really plugged, so to clean it out wasn't just some simple air hose job, they had a tech remove all of the sieves clean them and reinstall/calibrate them. A couple hour project at least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.