The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A mate of mine has been having dramas with his 9870, it keeps breaking steering pump drive shafts and stripping out couplings over the last 12mths it's had 8 pumps (within 500hrs) which is ridiculous, in all the time that I had JD's I had one fail but that was it. I can't believe they just keep throwing pumps at it instead of looking deeper. There must be a faulty relief valve in the system creating excess pressure resulting in pump failures, this machine has been a real b&@$ this last year so if you have any ideas throw in your two bobs worth so we can help get her sorted out, thanks guys :eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
We had one a few years ago. 9870 pro drive. It would strip the shaft and coupler for the pump before the steering pump ( trans pump I think ) it was a while ago. So it would just stop moving. After we changed the square plate between the pumps it was fine. I think it wasn't cut square and put a side load on the shaft.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He pulled the pump off and measured that plate and there was no difference in its dimensions. But he did find that after 20hrs of harvesting and 20hrs of road travel that the coupling was already damaged the centring clip was broken. Any other thoughts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.