The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two 9870 sts combines set with same beaters, concaves, etc. We have trouble with one machine plugging the Tailings elevator. We have leveled concaves, pulled elevator chain out looked in there to see if the elevator is wore through, checked seives and so on. It works great most of the time just once the straw gets tougher in the evening and going up a slight hill the Tailings slip clutch will go and have to run back there open the door and let it clean itself out. We have replaced the slip clutch to. Just wondering if someone has a brainwave to throw at us. Thanks!

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,691 Posts
So what exactly is in there when you open it up?
Percentage of clean grain?
Percentage of chaff?
Etc etc

Maybe both the sieves needs CAL.
I found running the JD’s only 1-2 difference on the screen to either top or bottom sieves could dramatically affect the repeats in tougher conditions.

Maybe 10 on the screen is actually 8-9mm down the back

Same with the concave. Is 0 actually zero?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Check out the "9770 tailings chain overloading"thread.It is recent and mabey there are some solutions on there.Besides what was mention on there We have on s670 that plugs the tailing way more than the other machines.We took everything apart and some things that we found that we hope fixes the issue besides what was mention in the 9770 thread was the top sprocket was very worn and needed flipping because it had quite a hook shape on one side,the tailing auger for some reason had the end of the flighting bent where it hands it over to the chain. See if the paddles on the chain are straight,i have see where when the chain has a lot of hours on it the paddles get bent to a moon shape and mabey when you get slightly higher tailings load it can't carry it away fast enough. Check if you sieve and chaffer calibration is accurate when adjusting from from a high number to a low number and also from a low number to a high number.I have seen it be out 5mm when going from a high number to a low number but be accurate when going from a low setting to a high setting. Even after doing a factory calibration,and that is on all machines can't figure out what the heck the problem is.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Other than leveling concaves, most of what you talk about is to do with taking unthreshed grain away. Maybe the overload is coming from under threshing in the concave and rub bar area. Both OP and phantom mention it is worse for plugging when it gets tough at night. That is a normal sign of incomplete threshing. Try filler plates in the concave or some of the new concaves, like Sunnybrook, that hold in the partly threshed heads until they are completely threshed. As more unthreshed material overloads the return, if it does not stay in the concaves long enough to be threshed, it just builds in volume until the return plugs. Bent cross auger flight on the discharge end is a sign of chronic underthresh problem. Filler plates under the return entrance to the concave can help too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Other than leveling concaves, most of what you talk about is to do with taking unthreshed grain away. Maybe the overload is coming from under threshing in the concave and rub bar area. Both OP and phantom mention it is worse for plugging when it gets tough at night. That is a normal sign of incomplete threshing. Try filler plates in the concave or some of the new concaves, like Sunnybrook, that hold in the partly threshed heads until they are completely threshed. As more unthreshed material overloads the return, if it does not stay in the concaves long enough to be threshed, it just builds in volume until the return plugs. Bent cross auger flight on the discharge end is a sign of chronic underthresh problem. Filler plates under the return entrance to the concave can help too.
He has two machines and only one is having problems,I can't see why he would need different concaves and add more filler plates if the second combine with the same concaves and his current filler plate set up is working fine on the one machine.The is something worn, bent ,out of calibration or adjusted differentley on the one machine quite possible not even in the tailing area that is causing the plugging when tailings volume goes UP like at night or when tough.His tailings elevator might not be at the point where it is overloaded when it plugs, it just for some reason might not be able to take the same volume before it plugs as the other machine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't really know but could there be a problem with the bubble up auger in the box? Flighting worn or bent just enough to work properly when it is dry but when it gets damp it may not cope

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
He has two machines and only one is having problems,I can't see why he would need different concaves and add more filler plates if the second combine with the same concaves and his current filler plate set up is working fine on the one machine.The is something worn, bent ,out of calibration or adjusted differentley on the one machine quite possible not even in the tailing area that is causing the plugging when tailings volume goes UP like at night or when tough.His tailings elevator might not be at the point where it is overloaded when it plugs, it just for some reason might not be able to take the same volume before it plugs as the other machine.
You make a good point if both combines are the same and assuming nothing is bent on worn. I have found that an overloaded return is unthreshed grain though. Where is it coming from? As you mention, if the paddles on the return elevator are deformed from chronic overload then they will not work properly. Will not carry a "normal" amount of tailings. That could be from bad conditions or improper settings at one time I suppose. I experienced this on a CIH 1680 one time and tried to fix the problem by putting in MayWest solid UHMW paddles. It helped with the elevator plugging but part of the problem was that the concave had no adjustment from side to side. I installed aftermarket concave mounts which allowed me to create a wedge shape for better threshing. It helped but I still needed filler plates to make the threshing complete which cleared up the return problem. I am not a JD owner so not really familiar with them. Just thinking about decades of my experience and the fact that one machine of two is having a problem.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Check for debris covering the discharge at the top end... especially if the combine has ever been in wet conditions

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't really know but could there be a problem with the bubble up auger in the box? Flighting worn or bent just enough to work properly when it is dry but when it gets damp it may not cope
Might be worth checking the bubble up auger gear box. They go quite frequently especially with wet corn or beans. check the oil first in it .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts