The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any news on the 9870? I have heard much bigger cleaning area, bigger clean grain auger, bigger engine. 75 more hp than previous 9860. Bigger rotor area too.

I have heard the 96 and 97 are staying pretty much the same. The 98 as everyone knows is the one they needed to increase sieve area.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Where are they going to put the additional sieve area? The STS chassis and frame aren't likely to be getting any bigger any time soon.

·
Registered
289 Posts
They could go to the same frame width as the old 9600 was, that would give a lot more cleaning capacity and a wider feeder house and a bigger rotor on top.

Lexion does that jumping form the 580 to the 590 (or in the past 470 to 480).

·
Registered
894 Posts
If there was to be a wider frame STS combine for the upcoming 70 series, I believe they would be in fields now, on the harvest, just like the pictures of the 70 series shown earlier on this site and folks would be talking about them.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I bet we don't see a larger STS combine (a true class 8 that is actually capable of supporting larger, > 35 ft / 350 bushel + factory heads and grain tanks) for at least another 3-5 years.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The feeder house is much bigger on the 9870, rotor is larger and sieve area is larger, going to a 12 liter engine also. I talked to a man in "the know" today. He was pretty busy, but I got a couple of questions answered. The feeder house is going to be more like a 9610, not sure what that is but he said significantly wider to support the new 16 row corn head. I guess they are redesigning the corn head completely. First major change since 1983 is what he said. Only 120 of them will be out for fall harvest. He acted like the 9870 was going to be a major change where the 9770 was just minor changes.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The 9860 STS already has a 12.5 liter engine so, I doubt they'll go smaller since the 12.5l's replacement is a 13.5 liter Tier 3. A wider feeder house will likely do little to improve feeding performance and efficiency into the FAST system and rotor (example, a 2388's feeder house width conforms to the diameter of its rotor intake to achieve optimized feeding, same with the NH's FH relative to the distance between the opposite outer diameter between rotors). A Axial rotor combine's feeder house needs to stay as close to the diameter of its intake housing as possible to be efficient. It might be that the feeder house gets a little longer to improve visibility. A larger diameter rotor is going to take more power, won't work well if the engine goes to a smaller 12 liter ;-) As for cleaning capacity, the only room for an STS cleaning system to grow, given no changes to the frame and chassis, is in its pre-cleaner. What will a larger pre-cleaner do?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think your right on the 12 liter, I think he said 13.5 liter and I mistyped it. Yeah, he said they were not using the same frame, it was going to be a much bigger frame. I run an 8010 so I have have no problem believing that it could take awhile for the 9870 to come out. They were working and talking about the 8010 to come out 3-4 full years before it came out in limited production.

I would be they release them just like the 4830 sprayers this year. Release a certain amount, let all the farmers wanting to be the first to have the latest and greatest do the R & D, and then release the full production model with the updatates R & D come up with. Thats exactly the same model the 8010 went with.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I a dealer going to Cincinatti August 15th to get the real scoop on all the new deere stuff. I'll let you guys know as soon as I know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts