The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cab was a flower planter and a kids play house sitting under a spruce tree on an acreage my brother bought.
The frame and front axle is from a 50's chev 2.5 ton grain truck from the Bush parts pile.
Engine from 89 dodge
Trans NV4500 with PTO and hyd pump, Dana 80 rear, wheels and tires from mid 90's chev 3500hd.
Steering system from 60's Minneapolis combine.
I've been working on this thing on and off for 8+ years

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finished..... well not finished, but driving and stopping under it's own power..... just in time to have it in westlock's annual Vintage Tractor and Machinery club's show.... here it is at the show...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I built 4 link susp front with air bags, rear is triangulated with air bags. I would like to have aux hydraulics from the trans mounted pump (the donor truck had a dump box) to run like a log splitter or something in the future.
If I have time this winter I will modify an old international truck box to fit, get glass and lights and whatever I need to get it road worthy and registered.
I have been burning around the area where I live this summer... and it seems to be behaving ok.... considering I have no radiator fan wired up (the only wiring I have so far is a jumper for fuel solenoid and starter button)
It stays cool and is a riot to drive!
Enjoy the pics.... and hope they're inspirational!

PS... extra points if you can identify the cab I used..... I have not been able to in the 8 years I've been building it.... closest I've found is late 20's dodge brothers....
Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
It is inspirational! Have me pondering something to do now with my somewhat retired '81 GMC Bruin with 8v71 Detroit! lol

·
Registered
985 Posts
I like people who can build stuff like this with their own hands. Farmers long ago had to have mechanical ability and the tools to fix or redesign stuff with. Lots these days can barely change oil and walk around with a cheque book instead. It's a dying art to be able to build your own stuff with this upcoming generation. Got farm kids here driving new vehicles to school mommy and daddy paid for and the kid can't even change their own tire if they have a flat. I am sure your kids or grandkids you have are involved with this build. People like you generally have kids that hang around dad in the shop. Very impressed with your build. I love the cab and have no clue what its from. I like what looks to be copper rad pipes. The duals are what set this unit off. A short flat deck with hyd tilt would be cool too IMO. Great work Anvil

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Are you able to drive this on the street here in AB ? Can you insure it and register it? Does it have to align with the Transport Act like fenders etc?

Have a '54 heading in the same sort of direction, but if I can't drive it, I struggle with investing more time into it.

Really nice job, Weld R Up level of work! The epitome of Rat.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Are you able to drive this on the street here in AB ? Can you insure it and register it? Does it have to align with the Transport Act like fenders etc?

Have a '54 heading in the same sort of direction, but if I can't drive it, I struggle with investing more time into it.

Really nice job, Weld R Up level of work! The epitome of Rat.
Let see it Brian.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Here are my toys. Can't take credit for the majority of the work, but just love having and driving them! Nice to drive something that isn't all plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kevlar, you defiantly need to put a Detroit 8V71 in something!!! Those are some of the best sounding engines! Especially in something that rides an inch off the ground.
Thanks for the compliments folks, I do appreciate it.

With regards to registration in Alberta.... in my case my serial number does not exist in the "system" and won't if a vehicle hasn't been registered in the last 50 years. The first place to start is take your serial number to a friendly registry and have them run it to see what it comes back as. My number on the firewall is currently in use as a jeep in Manitoba... complicating things for me, meaning I may need to get an assigned VIN which is no big deal costs about $500 and as long as your vehicle is not made out of stolen parts your All good.
Then I will need to get an out of province inspection.... this is the hard part... you need a "hot rod friendly" shop to do it.... Canadian tire is probably not the best place to try. There is a Fountain in St Albert on St Albert trail just south of the river.... it is my understanding they are hot rod friendly and would be the first place to drop by ask a few questions and show them some pictures to see if they would do an out of province on your project.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also I want to open up this thread to anyone who wants to talk rat rods and or share their pics of projects in the works, completed, or dreaming about!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like what looks to be copper rad pipes. The duals are what set this unit off. A short flat deck with hyd tilt would be cool too IMO. Great work Anvil
Yes i recently got a TIG welder and am learning how to use it. You can imagine my delight when I discovered that I could TIG copper!! So I went to my local plumbing and heating store and grabbed some pipe and elbows and fully tigg' d them up. No filler just fused them together... came out quite nice.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here is a old international "survivor" my neighbour has... all original except for some new glass, gaskets, and door seals.

He does have the matching hood... these pics are from when he just got it getting it ready to roll.
He has his company logo he is putting on the side and may clear coat it to lock it's patina in and make it look wet...

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Kevlar, you defiantly need to put a Detroit 8V71 in something!!! Those are some of the best sounding engines! Especially in something that rides an inch off the ground.
Thanks for the compliments folks, I do appreciate it.

With regards to registration in Alberta.... in my case my serial number does not exist in the "system" and won't if a vehicle hasn't been registered in the last 50 years. The first place to start is take your serial number to a friendly registry and have them run it to see what it comes back as. My number on the firewall is currently in use as a jeep in Manitoba... complicating things for me, meaning I may need to get an assigned VIN which is no big deal costs about $500 and as long as your vehicle is not made out of stolen parts your All good.
Then I will need to get an out of province inspection.... this is the hard part... you need a "hot rod friendly" shop to do it.... Canadian tire is probably not the best place to try. There is a Fountain in St Albert on St Albert trail just south of the river.... it is my understanding they are hot rod friendly and would be the first place to drop by ask a few questions and show them some pictures to see if they would do an out of province on your project.

Bring it to my shop Fer saftey we do cvip and out a province inspections Will make it pass. But I'll have to road test Fer 50 miles or so😅

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will pm you.. you can drive the $h!t outta her for a month if you pass it for me!
I have been very safety conscious throughout the build, new brakes, proper brake lines and hoses, modern double claw door latches etc...
thankyou very much.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a nice project ebear... it makes me fell warm and fuzzy to see a Ford engine going in a ford! The corvette susp will be a great addition... well worth the work.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Todd would be the guy to talk to at the fountain tire. He has built a few cars in his time. And nice job!

1 - 20 of 157 Posts