The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
That's a nice project ebear... it makes me fell warm and fuzzy to see a Ford engine going in a ford! The corvette susp will be a great addition... well worth the work.
Thanks and as you know it's a slow process but I gotta say 500+ hp and corvette suspension " warm and fuzzy " is not what I'm aiming for . LOL

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I have to admit, I'm envious and a little bit jealous of all you guys. I never seem to have any spare money kicking around or any time to do anything like this. I've loved cars and trucks for as long as I can remember, all kinds. Hopefully restore my dad's old '76 Ford F150 with a 390 someday, was my first truck and a lot of memories. Also want to pimp out an old Mack or something like that and put it on a new frame with big power and lots of lights, have always had pretty crappy grain trucks until we put a box on our '95 Kenworth W900L so feel I deserve it! Also want to restore some old farm equipment, combines, etc.. Just need to find the money and time!

·
Registered
455 Posts
We got a few old fords restored I bought a 62 ford unibody in high school abd fixed it up. Still got it. Wife bought me a 56 ford before we got married to 10 yrs to finish it but it finally got done. I'm working in 78 A model kw now. 3406a blk 13 speed gona roll air ride under it this winter hopefully. Put some 6 in straights on it. Wish I could fiqure out how to post pic !! I tell my kids Goya spend some of yr $ foolishly !!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's not that I have lots of time or money... I have been working on mine for 8+ years... and if you can fabricate most of what one needs, and scrounge junk piles, keeps costs down... i did a LOT of scrap metal dumpster diving!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to admit, I'm envious and a little bit jealous of all you guys. I never seem to have any spare money kicking around or any time to do anything like this. I've loved cars and trucks for as long as I can remember, all kinds. Hopefully restore my dad's old '76 Ford F150 with a 390 someday, was my first truck and a lot of memories. Also want to pimp out an old Mack or something like that and put it on a new frame with big power and lots of lights, have always had pretty crappy grain trucks until we put a box on our '95 Kenworth W900L so feel I deserve it! Also want to restore some old farm equipment, combines, etc.. Just need to find the money and time!
I hear ya on retoring your first truck. I have the same/similar story, I have a '71 F-100 that was dads first truck, and I bought it off him for my first truck, still have it. I have every intention of restroing it, but, funds, time, and I honestly think most importantly, shop space are my issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
[/quote]
I hear ya on retoring your first truck. I have the same/similar story, I have a '71 F-100 that was dads first truck, and I bought it off him for my first truck, still have it. I have every intention of restroing it, but, funds, time, and I honestly think most importantly, shop space are my issues.[/QUOTE]

You see now.... yes that blue Ford would look great restored.... but IMO.... leave the body the way it is... drop it down to the ground..... and drive it! You cannot beat the patina... I think the Ford looks good! The body on it has a story to tell... every bump and scratch. Bit that's just the way I look at it :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Blue one is Dads first grain truck1953 f700 green one is a 1961 merc unibody short box, yellow one 1962 ford unibody and my favorite orange one 1956 f100 390/c6 and ford 9 in. All work done in farm shop from sandblasting to paint and body work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
When we got rid of the cows, I started filling up the pasture with potential project vehicles.... after 45 yrs they are still waiting on me. For you guys looking at dropping front ends on older Ford pickups, there is a Facebook page devoted to swapping Crown Vic front ends. If you search for CrownVic subframe swap in Facebook, you'll find measurements etc. and guys that have fought the fight before you.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
When we got rid of the cows, I started filling up the pasture with potential project vehicles.... after 45 yrs they are still waiting on me. For you guys looking at dropping front ends on older Ford pickups, there is a Facebook page devoted to swapping Crown Vic front ends. If you search for CrownVic subframe swap in Facebook, you'll find measurements etc. and guys that have fought the fight before you.
Good to know, guess I will keep moms old Crown Vic instead of scrapping it, just in case!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
For those of us with serious masochistic tendencies, here is my first old car project to make it into the heated shop. I just got the floor heat hooked up before this pic was taken so the snow hadn't even melted yet. It was a 1928 Whippet 4 door that I hope to turn into an early themed speedster/race car with a bullet back body. So far it's looking like the motor will be a flathead 6 out of a 54 Dodge pickup. I'm currently looking around southern Manitoba for a late 50's/early 60's Dodge pickup with 5 bolt hubs and a steel beam front axle to be a suspension donar. I am also on the lookout for the cowl of an early open car ... the more non-descript the better. I'm trying to avoid common recognizable makes like the Model T or A. Even the rear tub from an old touring car if it has matching doors would be a plus... as you can see I'm not starting with much.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
For those of us with serious masochistic tendencies, here is my first old car project to make it into the heated shop. I just got the floor heat hooked up before this pic was taken so the snow hadn't even melted yet. It was a 1928 Whippet 4 door that I hope to turn into an early themed speedster/race car with a bullet back body. So far it's looking like the motor will be a flathead 6 out of a 54 Dodge pickup. I'm currently looking around southern Manitoba for a late 50's/early 60's Dodge pickup with 5 bolt hubs and a steel beam front axle to be a suspension donar. I am also on the lookout for the cowl of an early open car ... the more non-descript the better. I'm trying to avoid common recognizable makes like the Model T or A. Even the rear tub from an old touring car if it has matching doors would be a plus... as you can see I'm not starting with much.
Understatement of the year right there. Bought this one last fall and it's as rough as anything I would start with.
[/IMG]

This is where it is at now,

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Good Lord, whtbaron! You really have been a naughty boy to deserve such punishment?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
That's pretty sweet... you keeping it as a Sedan Delivery, or changing it? Around here those are pretty rare...aftermarket front axle?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
It's actually a Deluxe delivery (1931). 28-29 were sedan deliveries, basically a sedan with a door in the rear and no quarter windows, the 30-31 Deluxe deliveries are 8" longer. You can see how it's longer than a sedan behind the rear fender. Anyway, I put an "Okie Joe" 4" drop axle in front ( a dropped original A axle), triangulated 4 link with coil overs in the rear and '56 Ford F100 front drum brakes. Other than the stance and 16"X 7 front X8 rear wires (as opposed to the 19"X 4.5 stock wheels), it will look close to stock. The only body modification is the rear door. They came with a single rear door, like that on a hearse and the door was gone and was replaced by home-made barn doors. I'm going to rebuild the barn doors incorporating the quarter windows from '31 fordor and the beltline from the fordor so they look like factory doors. Will be running the original steering column, wheel, and box (I already rebuilt the steering box), original gauges except I had the original speedo rebuilt to read in KPH, original seats etc. I will even be adapting the original pedals and I have a spare shift tower with shifter and will be cutting off the shifter stick and welding it to the mercedes shifter mech so it looks original. I'm either going to build it into a police paddy wagon with bars on the rear door windows, bars behind the drivers seats and a bench along one side with leg shackles bolted to the floor, OR a Guinness truck with the Guinness logo with harp painted on the side and wooden beer boxes in the back. haven't decided for sure but, either way it will be painted black.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
L.T.K. I don't know why but the images are broken for me... but it's sounds sweet... I'm loving the Mercedes diesel! I've often spied the Mercedes V8 diesels at wrecking yards thinking it would be fun to drop one of them in a rod of some kind... any power mods in mind? Is there much that can be done to those Mercedes?

21 - 40 of 157 Posts