The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
L.T.K. I don't know why but the images are broken for me... but it's sounds sweet... I'm loving the Mercedes diesel! I've often spied the Mercedes V8 diesels at wrecking yards thinking it would be fun to drop one of them in a rod of some kind... any power mods in mind? Is there much that can be done to those Mercedes?
Could probably add a turbo but won't. No power mods planned. It already has a whopping 75HP, almost double the 40HP of the original banger:sFun_bananasplit: .
I played that almighty power game back in the '80's with my '57 chevy but I guess I sort of grew out of it......sort of. If I ever feel the need for speed I will drive my solstice GXP. It's flashed to 360HP and it GOES!. I also have 2 other modified A's, a '31 truck with a 350/350 and am just finishing up my wife's '28 chopped sedan, 327-tri-power/350 with a few go-goodies. Nothing too serious though.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Depending on the year and condition it could be a good one. I believe the 03 to 08's are generally the preferred models.
Yes you need to use the newer ones as they are bolt in but they are quite wide leaving wheel choice limited for older narrower trucks . Lots of info on F.T.E. complete build threads with lots of pics , measurements etc . Jag fronts are narrower and also quite popular as are Dodge Dakota swaps .

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The 80's Dodge Diplomats were a favorite for a while for the early 50's pickups, but they fell out of favor due to design issues with the suspension itself. They had a tendency to develop alzheimers and wander around on their own. The Crown Vic's can be narrowed, but then you are dealing with geometry issues most people were trying to avoid by going to the swap in the first place.

I'd seriously consider switching that special delivery back to it's original single door configuration... if the body is kept relatively stock it would increase it's value. It won't be cheap, but they do show up on the AACA site from time to time. Not exactly growing in the fence rows anymore, but they are out there. Geez Licenced... glad to hear you aren't getting all serious on us! You'll make the rest of our rust buckets look bad.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So I picked up a pair of old headlamps from the red deer swap meet years ago. I need a new lens, there was a booth set up at the swap where the guy had new or used glass lenses. I can't remember who or find a local dealer online. Does any body know a local Canadian vendor who would sell these old lenses??

I found replacements on eBay.... but somewhat afraid of shipping and handling ....... more so "handling"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Headlamps mounted with the original reflectors retrofitted with halogen bulb sockets. The pattern is surprisingly good with high and low beam... waiting on a win on eBay to get one more lens.

Also robbed the front signal lights from a late 40's gmc truck in the back 40. Updated them with dual filament sockets and practiced TIG welding the buckets into pipe for mounting (I'm new to TIG so don't rip on my crappy welds too much :) )

Attachments

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I like the Coke bottle reservoir!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks for the compliments. The coke bottle is somewhat temporary... it's not quite big enough for the Cummins... it may have to get a whiskey bottle or something... and a better holder than zip ties!

Getting my fuse and relay center ready...
Used two pieces to 3/4 plywood to make a form for the lid....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I needed to redesign my lower radiator line. I'm taking a evening TIG welding course at NAIT, so thought I'd do some practicing. Copper fittings and pipe, so long as they're nice a clean will weld quite nicely. I only fused them together, but you can use copper wire for filler if needed. Just wanted to share.

20180315_131434_1521143523911.jpg 20180315_131342_1521143495747.jpg

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Nice job! I want to take a welding course like that sometime, instead of my usual trial and error.

·
Registered
339 Posts
We got a few old fords restored I bought a 62 ford unibody in high school abd fixed it uqp. Still got it. Wife bought me a 56 ford before we got married to 10 yrs to finish it but it finally got done. I'm working in 78 A model kw now. 3406a blk 13 speed gona roll air ride under it this winter hopefully. Put some 6 in straights on it. Wish I could fiqure out how to post pic !! I tell my kids Goya spend some of yr $ foolishly !!!
Yes we need pictures! I had my son-in-law show me how on the iPad. Someone with more savvy than me should show you!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Are you able to drive this on the street here in AB ? Can you insure it and register it? Does it have to align with the Transport Act like fenders etc?

Have a '54 heading in the same sort of direction, but if I can't drive it, I struggle with investing more time into it.

Really nice job, Weld R Up level of work! The epitome of Rat.
I talked to a fellow from around Edmonton that had a fender less 28 Ford. He drives it around town, said he talks to the police about the car and they have never given him any trouble. I think if gravel is coming off your tires your in trouble with everyone!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I have spoken to a few fellow rat rodders in the Edmonton area and you know... it all depends on how your acting behind the wheel.... If your jacking around being an idiot well your gonna get a ticket. I'm not saying I'll never chop a doughnut in the gravel or try to do a burnout on an old wooden bridge in the country but if i got pinched doing that in town well I'd expect to get the book thrown at me with an open fendered dually straight piped Cummins!
Most police officers are humans like the rest of us and as long as your licensed registered, insured and not an a$$hole they will want to look at your creation and b.s. with you just like anyone else!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I built 4 link susp front with air bags, rear is triangulated with air bags. I would like to have aux hydraulics from the trans mounted pump (the donor truck had a dump box) to run like a log splitter or something in the future.
If I have time this winter I will modify an old international truck box to fit, get glass and lights and whatever I need to get it road worthy and registered.
I have been burning around the area where I live this summer... and it seems to be behaving ok.... considering I have no radiator fan wired up (the only wiring I have so far is a jumper for fuel solenoid and starter button)
It stays cool and is a riot to drive!
Enjoy the pics.... and hope they're inspirational!

PS... extra points if you can identify the cab I used..... I have not been able to in the 8 years I've been building it.... closest I've found is late 20's dodge brothers....
Enjoy!
My experienced acquaintance thinks this is a 1927-28 Chev 4 door car body. It has been shortened by removing the back doors and part of the rear quarter windows. Does the cab slope forward at the bottom like a sedan would? He said farmer used to make their cars into trucks because they needed a truck and when there was gasoline rationing they could get more ration coupons if they had a truck! I know this guy is seldom wrong! What do you think?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
You are correct sir about it being cut down from a 4 door... when I got it the back looked to be torch welded to the B pillars which still have the holes where the rear doors latched... i cut it off again added a roll bar and about 8" because im over 6' and needed more leg room. And yes I have heard that in war times many cars were cut into trucks, the idea was trucks hauled stuff which was goid for the economy. I will get a couple more pics of body details for your consideration.. thanks for looking!

41 - 60 of 157 Posts