The Combine Forum banner

A few Claas specs questions

9K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  Don Boles 
#1 ·
Im looking at both narrow and wide bodies, dynamic cooling era and newer. Ive been comparing about 10 machines and no one uses the same terminology. Auger lengths listed in feet, #XL, and even inches for some reason.

What do each XL number auger lengths equate to in feet?

How many feet recommended for 40’ platform head with no autosteer? 45’ platform head?

Everyone lists 35” tracks, was there another width offered?

HD vs variable speed feederhouse. Im guessing both are variable. Ill be running a 12 row folding but non chopping geringhoff corn head and a 40-45’ Macdon. Which would be recommended or sufficient?

Did all come with auto contour or is it an option only? What about auto reel speed?

What is HD grain handling?

Is cruise pilot the same as “autopilot for NAF”?

Some ‘13s are listed as “pre-14 dynamic cooling”. Is there any benefit to these years, as in, no DEF fluid or DEF?

Thanks for any help

See less See more
#2 ·
This will clear your auger questions:

If you are not CTF 4XL is easy on 40’, tight but doable on 45’.

Looks like North America and Australia get the widest tracks only, Europe gets narrower for transport regs.

If you are 12 row chopping corn header (I see not corn front!) you need HD variable drive to ensure enough torque.

Not sure auto contour is standard.

HD handing involves heavier high wear components in the grain tank and may be slower.

I don't know what NAF is but don’t think it’s Cruise Pilot.

I will not tackle Oz emission regulations.

Attachments

#9 ·
The machine in Canada is by far the best buy when factoring future cost per hour of use. This meaning, not factoring my personal budget, because it is also the most expensive but lowest houred machine.

Canadian unit $118/sep hr of future use.
8.5 years before replacement

US $119-157 (9 units)
4.5-7 years before replacement

I guess ill have to talk to a trucking company that is familiar with crossing the border.

#11 ·
I just figure I would aim to trade at 2500sep hours. So subtract actual unit hours from 2500, then purchase price (or purchase price with interest) divided by those hours. So the use cost with $0 value at trade-in time. I havent gotten far enough to factor residual value, but its probably not really needed since with a baseline of 2500 at sale date, all units are close to the same value. That way im comparing apples to apples.

The true cost would subtract the trade value, say $40,000-70000. But its just as easy for me to use zero since its not a number for budgetting, just comparison.

Obviously this doesnt include any other expenses that come with owning any combine.

#12 ·
Theres one local to me thats both in my price range, and in my hour range, but after running the numbers I realised it would cost me $195/hr of use comepared to all those $118-150. Its eye opening and a big help for me to look at it from multiple angles so I dont make a move that seems okay but hurts me down the line.

#14 ·
The 760s have the mercedes too right? I missed my chance on a couple 780s recently.

Theres one or two ‘13 750s on tractorhouse that claim pre-14 dynamic cooling. I didnt know if thats just an early ‘14, or if they had a very short production of dynamic cooling and no emissions.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Lexions w/o Autocontour are out there....just VERY rare. I've seen one -- a 500 series -- in western Canade. IDK if the 700s ever had it as optional.

I'd be VERY careful about bringing a combine over...make absolutely certain that you have all the red tape about emissions dealt with before you do. I've never tried, but I hear stories. Talk to somebody who does it first.

Tell your dealer to stop having such a "big head" ;> 45' is huge, even out west. Too much stress--on the operator! I'd definitely go for the high torque variable speed drive if you are combining corn--the other drives are just not heavy enough. Sounds like you are putting together a pretty nice combo!

#19 ·
Ive narrowed it down to a couple of machines, however im having issues with the build sheets. Any ‘13-14 that ive been sent build sheets on that have AHHC say it right in the first line:

Auto contour:Cutterbar adjustment

The two that suit me best are both ‘15 models. Each dealer claims they have AHHC and auto reel speed, but neither build sheet mentions it anywhere. Did this become standard in ‘15 and thus not on the sheet?

Both dealers seem honest, but ive learned my lesson on taking a salesmans word for something 1000mi away. It could be an honest mistake and you still have no recourse.

#20 · (Edited)
Both dealers seem honest, but ive learned my lesson on taking a salesmans word for something 1000mi away. It could be an honest mistake and you still have no recourse.
It’s almost always an honest mistake, farmers, especially owner/operators, use and study that equipment to use to their maximum advantage.
Sales people sell equipment.

Oh, I don’t mean just Claas sales people, I mean all of them.

#26 ·
Those are fairly loaded up, right to side window blinds.
The do have the heavy duty feeder drive that you likely need for a 12 row chopping corn head.

What is a rework kit, maize to grain? 0065
No clue. Because its separate from the deeptooth/frogmouth sieves, and thats all I was aware of thats different corn/small grains, other than concaves. They almost all have that though

#27 ·
Those two combines don't show lateral tilt as an option, I would make for darn sure that you have that or you will be stuck running a Macdon and no lateral tilt on the corn header. I would think they all would have auto-height, but you need the lateral tilt to use flex heads. Dealer here tends to cheap out and just sell the feeder house optioned down with a Macdon head, so those units are floating around. I wouldn't pen myself in like that though...

#37 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone. Still not 100% sure i have auto contour and reel speed but will find out soon enough when the head arrives. Very pleased with the overall condition and how smooth it shifts/steers around the yard. Love the cab if i can ever figure out cebis. This thing screams touch screen.

I see it has a JD starfire mount on the cab. Hoping i dont need much to plug in and go, as i have a spare JD monitor collecting dust.

Attachments

#43 ·
Love the cab if i can ever figure out cebis. This thing screams touch screen.
There are instructional videos on how to use cebis, plus a little field time and you will figure it out.

I'm sure somewhere in my posting history I was of the opinion that Claas should have touch screen like other mfr's, but after running one I definitely feel otherwise. The buttons and dials are far superior for the operation of the controls and have a very good feel to them. Once familiar you can make settings without even looking, can't do that with a touch screen!

#38 ·
Looks nice. I can understand the desire for a touchscreen but I really don't find it to be missing once familiar with the controls. The screen stays cleaner and knobs allow for more precise selections while bouncing through a field or making an adjustment without even looking. A touchscreen opens up the window for more possibilities but for what CEBIS is in that machine, the controls are just right, IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.