The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Souris oats...

These were taken early Sept.

Never thought it would yield as well as it did.... and it stood well. Next year we'll be straight cutting.

·
Registered
884 Posts
What kind of yield? And what are oats worth?

We've been told they yield usually 2-2.5 times more than wheat, but any crop I've seen has only done maybe 10 bushels more than wheat on the same year around here.

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... No, way more than 10 bu difference....

Our HRS wheat averaged 59

This oats did 144 bu/ac.

We sold a bunch during the sumer for $3.05, and $3.17/bu... have the rest on a Pricing order for $3.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
wow you did good my oats averaged 80 cant seem to get yield back to 100 like we used to not sure why I wonder if its wetter in our area causing it I also am kicking myself for not pricing them when they were 3 bucks

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps... heat also may be a reason. We seeded very early for the area which helped with yield/weight.

Did 55-20-35-10, sprayed with 1L gly + Express 4 days after seeding, BuctrilM + Tilt in crop.

Did a trial with Energize Cereals, found it helped bushel weight a bit, mainly due to filling out the 3rd seeds more, so we'll be using that next year.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Hard to tell, how tall were they? I can't keep growing orrin, they are just too tall. Not too much problems with lodging, just too much straw to deal with.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Good looking oats Christian!!

I am going to try a few acres of Souris this coming year. Seen one crop on some well drained land out this way that was about as close to perfect as I have ever seen. Liked the shorter semi-dwarf lack of straw! Straight cutting would be nice.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Will you be cleaning seed? If so pm me.

2010/2011 our morgans were 4.5-5 feet high, went to orrin, even taller 2012/2013 (good yields though) but have to try something else. I couldn't swath a 6' 170 bushel/ac oat crop very well, it wouldn't go through the **** hole! had to take 30' with the 35' swather...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts