The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

First video is of a comparison of Dutch Industry openers. The second is of my first time direct seeding... winter canola.

Enjoy... hopefully ; ]

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Im on 9" currently. I am using UN32 and Thi-sul. Just making the switch to liquid as I transition to no-till. Have previously been using NH3 mostly in fallow at July... we seed in end of August. Also playing around this year with a split app... I only applied 30N and 10S, I plan on using streamer nozzles on my sprayer and putting down an additional up to 30lbsN in the spring depending on the crop and winter I have.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dblack,

Was that vid with a GoPro camera?
Been thinking of getting one to film close ups of a row units on my clients disc seeders to assess soil throw (or lack thereof).

Looked to me like the side band opener was dong a better job, throwing less soil onto the next row, as well as pulling less rocks. Which did you end up going with?

Lach.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is a gopro 2. Thanks for the input. I actually used the sideband this year, I was just testing a few of the outlaws, and I think I agree with you. The sideband isn't going as deep and so it doesnt pull as many rocks, also I think it slips through the soil better, but it is good to get another opinion on it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great videos.
I think this highlights soil types/conditions and sowing speed effects on openers.
In Australia which is where the Outlaw series was designed for, side band and paired row openers disturb to much soil and don't allow us to work at the speeds we want (10-11kph) where as the Outlaw works great for our soil types (I'm talking more the East Coast) and allows us to maintain minimum disturbance. I guess thats why Dutch have such a wide variety of choice!

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, I am thinking of trying the dutch spur, as it is only 1" wide. I like the idea of throwing less soil, and my drill is only 33' so I would like to travel faster as I am currently seeding at about 4.3mph. I would like to see 5-5.5mph. Much faster and the drill will break apart in my rocks. ; ]

I like the opener alot, just think it would benefit from the independent opener on hydraulic downforce for tripout to save carbide and opener in general. I broke the outlaw, but Dutch said they think it was a metal problem, and the metal was textured like it was cast so... im sure it was supposed to be steel. Plus I broke off the carbides from the seed boot. But my rocks are plentiful and after tripping on one, it is the rock it hits on the way back down that kills.

I was extremely impressed with the universal however in that it held up without breakage over 800 acres in rocks.

Here is a pic of the spur
Dutch Industries Application

This is the vertical

and this is what I am currently using the universal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts