1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surfing around the web last night and was surprised to run across
these combines made in Germany up till 2003. It is a TX68 painted
red with case ih wrote on the side. All I could find out was the factory
is now closed. Most of the websites needed translation for me to read them.

http://img.agriaffaires.com/maehdrescher....-ih-ct-5060.jpg

Seems like they switched production from Belgium to Germany for the TX for a short time when the CX combines came out and sold them as
Case IH.

Specs

www.cotswoldfarm.co.uk/pdf/Case_IH/Combine%20Harvesters/Case_IH_CT_Series.pdf

Kind of like seeing a Cadillac with a Lada emblem on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
At that time Case IH was also painting the New Holland self propeled choppers red. Actually saw one at the
agritecnia farm show in 2003. Just a yellow machine painted red. At the show this year I could not find out
if that is still being done as none of the people I talked to had any info on that.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just a little rumor that I heard about a year ago is that CNH will pretty much be phasing out the yellow combines. They will still be the New Holland twin rotor design but will just be painting them red and calling them Case IH. So Case will then be marketing two rotor designs painted red with the AFX's and Twin Rotors. Not sure how true this is, but this is what I have heard is floating around from some insiders who work at the plant in Grand Island. Also heard that they will be taking the New Holland supersteer front end and putting it on the Case tractors. I heard that one quite a while ago, hasn't happened yet but I still keep hearing things. Looks as if red is trying to edge yellow out.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
Quote:Just a little rumor that I heard about a year ago is that CNH will pretty much be phasing out the yellow combines.
Connor, it's the usual story, it's all business. And in the end Joe consumer is not better off, big corporation is.
In spite of that truth, I doubt it.

Don

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't know what to say or believe. But in all actuality I could see it happening. For the most part the Case designs are whats used for their common rail platforms. This is quite obvious to see, especially in the tractors. Not to mention tillage and planting equipment. It's mostly just Case stuff painted blue or yellow or whatever. Except for the hay equipment which seems to be New Holland based. So really this has started already, it's just a question of how far will it go.

But take a look at the combine plant in Grand Island. Ever since Case moved in you really don't see a trace of New Holland left on that facility. The sign out front says CNH and Case IH, and so does they sign on the side of the building. There's no mention of New Holland anymore. So it wouldn't be surprising to see CNH go the way that Agco has and start combining product lines down to one name and color. I.e. gone are the White and Allis nameplates. But I don't think the Case name and red color will ever go, they're just too big of a seller to do that. And if they did get rid of the Case name they'd just be shooting themselves in the foot and losing too many loyal Case and IH customers. I think Agco is starting to realize the affects of this marketing strategy.

However the New Holland name isn't quite as big in the states, overseas yes. So if something like that were to happen I think it would be Case marketed in North America and New holland along with Case marketed overseas.

·
Registered
100 Posts
back to topic..

tx68, do you still have the link where you got the information that theses "red -tx" were build in Germany?
I knew one of those machines running not too far from my place, people sayd it's a TX 65 with red paint on it. But I always thought it was build in Belgium at that New Holland plant. I never cared about where it was build, but when you brought this up how much it would cost to build up a second production line for just a few years. I think it was more a marketing thing that they painted them just red, because Case IH -dealerships sold NH combines from the late 80's or the early 90's. Those walker machines were much better in damp contitions and green straw than the Case AF's, and lot's of farmers baled straw at that time.

Case IH also offered walker machines in the 90's that were build in eastern Germany by a company called MDW -(means Combine -Works -a smart name). After the iron courtan came down, that company got privatised and after a few years case got a shareholder or whatever -I don't know this exactly, but it must have been hard for that company to comapete with the other brands like john deere, NH or Claas on an open market. Anyways, this was the only place where Case manufatured combines in Germany that I know -but maybe someone knows this better.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I came upon the Germany factory connection because one of the european
websites that sells combines had some pictures of the ct5080 that
showed a closeup of the data plate on the combine. It stated that
the machine was made in Neustadt Germany. Thats the only reference
I could find that said where it was made. I looked through so many websites that I cant remember which one it was on now. Its very possible they had the wrong picture mixed up with the combine
pics. While trying to refind that bit of info another piece of the puzzle
showed up at.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2001/1229/technology/machinery.html

It sez these are not based on TX combines but on TC combines which I have never really looked at really close. The pictures of the ct combines in the handout pdf above look just like the TX with few
minor differences.
Ill find that pic of the data plate and put a url to it hopefully.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:Just a little rumor that I heard about a year ago is that CNH will pretty much be phasing out the yellow combines. They will still be the New Holland twin rotor design but will just be painting them red and calling them Case IH. So Case will then be marketing two rotor designs painted red with the AFX's and Twin Rotors. Not sure how true this is, but this is what I have heard is floating around from some insiders who work at the plant in Grand Island. Also heard that they will be taking the New Holland supersteer front end and putting it on the Case tractors. I heard that one quite a while ago, hasn't happened yet but I still keep hearing things. Looks as if red is trying to edge yellow out.

I have heard that too. It would make sense for them to cut costs like that. However Don is right anytime competition is edged out that means less selection. I believe its true because look at what has been done. When they were forced to sell some of their lines when they merged what was sold? The genesis, and versitile. They did sell the Maxxum to though. I believe that is the one now marketed under McCormick. If you look at the production of Grand Island. New Holland is the small part. Common sense for them to combine the best of both.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
Quote:It sez these are not based on TX combines but on TC combines which I have never really looked at really close.
Sounds like it uses a 4 drum threshing system. The rest of machine is TX though I think. I ran a TX 68 for 3 years.

Don

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have never tried googling non English websites but with the help of
Bablefish I found some interesting stuff.

This website seems to show what different companys make in Germany and where they are located at.

http://ddr-landmaschinen.de/nach_1990/fahrzeugliste90.htm

Down near the bottom it shows the CT combines were made in Neustadt.

There is also a French site where you can compare lots of different equipment specs including combines.

http://www.pleinchamp.com/materiels/materiel.aspx?menu_id=148

Using this site for comparisons

TX63 = CT 5050
TX65 = CT 5060
TX66 = CT 5070
TX68 = CT 5080

The TC series combines are a close match but the TXs are almost an
exact match except for some cosmetic stuff.

There must be 10 combine models to choose from in Europe for every
model sold here. Whats up with that. It seems like there is very slight difference between some model numbers or series.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like it uses a 4 drum threshing system​

In the see through combine picture in that pdf doc the back drum is just
a beater which was available on the tx68. You can see the mounts
for it behind the handle that opens and closes the back concaves. I asked our dealer about it when it was new and he thought it was for some tough grain crops to help them onto the walkers and were more for western Canada type conditions than around here.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It is unfortunated to see brands go that way. But unfortunately it does happen and Agco is a prime example of it. In the long run I think they will find that they are shooting themselves in the foot big time by doing that. And CNH would be too, but I believe its coming anyway. I don't think it will be quite to the extreme that Agco has done. I think NH will remain overseas where they are a big seller, but here in the NA market, where they have a niche here and there, the NH name will disappear in favor of red. And as i stated before I think it's already starting to happen. While it may save money on the production side to eliminate a name or color, I don't think it will help on the sales side due to the fact that you're going to lose lyal customers. In the end I don't think that ever pans out.

Take Agco for example. They dropped their two biggest tractor names in North America, White and Allis, and kept the Massey name. Massey doesn't sell here but does overseas just like NH. And as my dad said, who grew up with Olivers, that White would have been better off by keeping the Oliver, MM, and Cockshutt names around instead of combining them into White. And while that was before my time and I have grown up on Whites and love to see the silver I think he's right. And Agco should've taken looked back and taken notes from that. People aren't gong to stick with you if you keep getting rid of the brands that they like, especially if they've already had to switch a few times. A lot of Oliver guys probably went with White but I'm sure a lot went another way. And some White guys have gone with Agco, but once again a lot went to other brands.

And while I'm not a Case or NH fan I would still hate to see them go this way. It's just heartbreaking to the diehards and as you said theres just less selection that way.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I will give CNH credit, at least they don't make each "brand" or color absolutely identical like Agco. They at least give them different styling cues such as hoods, lights, panels, some very minor things in the interiors, and so on. Agco needs to do that a little more instead of just going down their one line and painting three different colors in a row and putting different decals on them and making different "brands" out of them.

But I still think CNH will start to do more and more of this. Like I said it looks like red is edging yellow out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think you will see NH disappear just yet. The chasis for the new Case axial flows is NH and can be traced back through many years of NH combines such as the TF range. In Europe, rather than lines merging together, Case and NH tractor assembly have been split with Case now being put together in Austria (I think)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Neustadt, Germany Link for Over!

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2004/0327/farmmanagement/machinery/index.shtml
27 March 2004

Combine plant under threat

Though no official statement has yet been released it looks likely that Case-IH's combine factory in Neustadt, Germany will close with the loss of some 200 jobs.

The news may come as a surprise to some, given that the plant was completely renovated just a few years ago.

The plant produces Case-IH's four-model CT combine range and is one of three CNH combine manufacturing facilities in Europe. The other two are located in Belgium and Poland.

The possibility of closure has been blamed on poor sales of new combines across Europe. Sales fell by 7% across Western Europe last year; a further slump of 8% is forecast for the coming year.

In central and eastern Europe the forecasted drop is even more pronounced - sales there are expected to fall 25% this year!

CNH has stressed that no decision has yet been made but acknowledges that there is an ‘over-capacity' problem. An official statement is expected within a few weeks.

Should the closure go ahead, pundits expect that production of the four-model CT series (comprising of the CT5050, CT5060, CT5070 and CT5080) would be transferred to either Belgium or Poland.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, I was really surprised to see a post just for me here

I never cared too much about the "red New Hollands", just knew there were a few, but as I said, in my area there are mostly the original/yellow ones due to quality issued etc.
Anyways, I just googled about a few things. This is off topic, but maybe it could be interesting for you, after you seem to have done some good reseach on this.
After CaseIH wanted to close the combine plant, they were looking for investors. Now "Hymer" builds campers there, and created 150 new jobs /saved 150 people from getting unemployed.
http://www.capron.eu/Presse/bautzenerbote12_06.pdf

On page 3 of this pdf -file you will find a list of most combines available in Europe (in '06). There it says, the Mew Holland CT Series is build in Plock, Poland.
http://www.agrartechnik.ch/file/d/lt/2006/6/LT6_04_Maehdrescher.pdf

1 - 20 of 27 Posts