1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I read an article on it this afternoon and just about puked. First they don't want gmo's, now they are wanting to ban our herbicides. If they want to eat organic go ahead. I think a year or two of starvation would change things a little. Too bad it won't happen.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
Can we hire all those fanatics to pick weeds in the fields?
Good idea....I was thinking how the world would be a much better place if all these "activists" did something productive with their time. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
It is exactly for this reason that we need gmo crops...that doesn't necessarily mean RR crops but it could mean that they are tolerant to cold, insects, drought etc.
The search for better products/technology must go on and GMO's are just part of that.

Fact: there has been no illness or death linked to GMO crops
Fact: people have gotten sick after consuming organic food

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Frankly if there were a way to farm without chemicals and make a profit, and be sustainable, I am in favor of it. Chemicals cost a lot of money. Also I am exposed to a lot of chemicals loading the sprayer that will probably give me cancer some day. I hope each of you uses a decent breathing mask, gloves, clothing, and a carbon filter on your tractor when handling chemicals in concentrate.

Granted there's a huge difference between the dose we as farmers are exposed to working with our sprayers and what any distant consumer is exposed to. Many orders of magnitude less for consumers.

Currently I agree that herbicides are essential tools in feeding the world. And in my area, we couldn't make the farm pay without them. And from the evidence I have seen, it appears most herbicides are likely fairly benign in their long-term impact on health and the environment. But I certainly can't say they are absolutely harmless. We can't prove a negative. Science has to continuously look for any harm that might be done and if it can't be found, we conclude the chemical likely is safe. It can't really work any other way, logically. Hope we understand that. The environmentalists have to understand that there are always trade-offs and costs, and that they have to look at tolerance levels, doses, and moderation. It just cannot be zero-sum.

Now I take it most of you don't fear science, which is what we hope this review will be about. If I read between the lines most believe science will vindicate the continued use of herbicides in moderation. But I take it the fear is that politics will ultimately capture the process (like it did with DDT[1]). And that's a valid fear.

Doesn't hurt for us to learn the science too, and be able to explain it to others. My cousin had a run-in with a property owner near his canola field concerned about herbicide drift on the trees. She thought for sure round-up was going to kill her trees (a very valid concern). It didn't help matters at all that the custom sprayer operator blew her off and wouldn't even answer her question about what chemical was being sprayed. My cousin was able to talk to her and explain the chemical was Liberty, how the chemical worked, and that even if there was drift it wouldn't kill her trees, or harm her garden in any way. In fact Liberty is used in orchards a lot because it's not going to kill trees. He also offered to replace any trees that did die perchance. She was mollified, and became very positive towards his spraying and farming and everything worked out great. Had he not spoke with her, though, and explained the science and methodology, she would have been much more in favor of those wanting to ban any and all chemicals because they are "bad."

[1] DDT worked out in the end, really. Even if the chemical wasn't harmful to birds, the evidence suggests that had it continued to be used as it was up to that point (talk about over-use!), it would have lost its effectiveness on mosquito populations within a very short time. Some countries do use DDT to great effect now, under limited and controlled circumstances.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Let's skip gmo because that would be really bad, the. Find a way to make bread out of the chemical found in gym exercise mats, because that is ok. (Ala subway resteraunts if you missed it)

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's all about public perception, and what the media feeds them.

My wife has family that lives in Florida. They are fascinated with farming, and ask a lot of questions. A cousin of hers is a health nut, owns a gym, you get the type. He asked me if we use those airplanes to spray those chemicals on our potatoes. I asked him if he had ever seen a potato with net necrosis. It's a disease that is spread by aphids that turn the inside of a potato full black spiderweb looking veins, and would you eat a potato that looked like that? No of course not, and I cannot sell a potato that is diseased. I explained to him that scientists have found certain potato plants that are genetically resistant to bugs, and can replicate that to where I can grow a crop that needs no or little bug spray. But you guys hear GMO and throw a fit, so I blast the crap out of them with chemicals.

His response. I have never thought of that!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think the issue was excessive use of fertilizers and chemicals within city limits as we've all seen some crazy looking little lawns that had loads of stuff dumped on them to look so pretty.

Trouble is many of the anti- farm crowd base little on facts but mostly on "feelings" and "emotion". I've had a run in's with some real wacko's to the point it was no use discussing it as they were totally clueless. One lady asked me if I was raising draft horses to get read for the shortage that was coming ... I asked huh? She claimed by 2020 all of California would be using horses to work the land to grow crops with no chemicals or machinery ... and she wasn't joking!! She was right tore up I didn't agree.

Even selling square bales of hay sometimes I get wierd questions like as to how many times has its been sprayed. I say I don't spray my hay and they are quite surprised when I say its not. So then they as is it "organic" hay then I say well its what ever you want it to be I guess.

As for herbicides mother nature is smart, adapts ... and will find ways around them in years go come unless we stay ahead of it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's all about public perception, and what the media feeds them.

My wife has family that lives in Florida. They are fascinated with farming, and ask a lot of questions. A cousin of hers is a health nut, owns a gym, you get the type. He asked me if we use those airplanes to spray those chemicals on our potatoes. I asked him if he had ever seen a potato with net necrosis. It's a disease that is spread by aphids that turn the inside of a potato full black spiderweb looking veins, and would you eat a potato that looked like that? No of course not, and I cannot sell a potato that is diseased. I explained to him that scientists have found certain potato plants that are genetically resistant to bugs, and can replicate that to where I can grow a crop that needs no or little bug spray. But you guys hear GMO and throw a fit, so I blast the crap out of them with chemicals.

His response. I have never thought of that!
There is a field beside me of seed potatoes and man its like weekly thing through out the summer of spraying. This fall though I think they must have ran out of storage space or something as they worked 50 acres of it under:eek:

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
There won't be any starvation. Most of the junk we grow isn't used for eating. I had some canned corn with supper tonight and it's not hard gmo corn kernals. It's soft sweet corn kernals.

With propane burner row crop equipment raising nice organic crops is doable.
Yeah cause propane is so cheap?...:confused::rolleyes:

·
Registered
92 Posts
All farmers are organic farmers. If you spray your crop once, twice or a dozen times it doesn't matter. The BS the shityits try spreading is worse than their own s... Have they ever looked up the meaning of organic. Use the shityits logic against them. The New International Webster's Dictionary & Thesaurus states that: #4 "Of or pertaining to compounds containing carbon as an essential ingredient" If they really care about what they eat they will do a little research and ask some smart questions.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
It's funny how this all works. The farmers are always wanting more credit and recognition for being the saviors of the world. Then they get the media coverage and now they wish the people would just leave them alone to conduct their business.

I think it was Newton that said something like "for every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction". Or close to that. This is how things work on many levels. The more positive publicity you wish for, the more negative publicity will follow it.

When the commodity prices drop and the net margins return to the near poverty level for the farmer like they were for so many years, the fame and fortune, and everything that goes with it, will fade and something new will take the media off of us and onto something new for the general public to obsess over.

IMO.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I discovered the other day we have neighbors that still summerfallow, they farm around ten thousand acres dryland and plant half the farm just like they did in the sixties when they bought the place. They seem to be still doing all right, I think they spray a little more today then twenty years ago but not much.
Then we have neighbors that do no till continuous cropping and they are constantly on the go with their sprayer, they do both irrigation and dryland.
Personally I prefer the stuff that wasn't sprayed so much...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts