The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I've been looking for a combine for the last six months and have finally found the one I can budget and like. Thanks for all the help you gave me along. I've found a 1988 Case IH 1640 with about 3500 engine hours on it. The machine looks like its in great shape and the engine starts and runs great. Some maintenance needs to be done, I know I've got to change the feeder house belt and a couple of the smaller ones. The combine is about 200 miles from home and I'll have to get it hauled here. What is a fair price guys usually charge to haul combines? I had a tractor hauled about 6 months ago for around $3 a loaded mile but it wasn't on a lowboy like we'll have to use on the combine. I'll try and get some pics when I can get her home safely.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ya but why not drive it. I'm sure it would be much cheaper than trucking it. You could do it in a day albiet a long one. I'm sure we put over 200 road miles on ours last year although not all in one day.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
A fellow who used to custom cut in our area (and also owned a John Deere dealership) used to cut with about a dozen 9600's. They would haul them to OK, and road them up through KS and CO, back through KS and I believe into NE...possibly SD. Not exactly sure where they went on the entire trip, but they did road the machines

·
Super Moderator
3,830 Posts
Friend of mine bought a NH CR 970 at an auction NE of Saskatoon, drove it home in 2 days 550 km's. 36km/hr.
Pickup header and duals.

Don

·
Registered
728 Posts
If it is good flat wide roads i would drive it if there were a lot of hills i don't think so. A friend of ours pulled a 30FT disc home behind his pickup from some were in Illinois

·
Registered
117 Posts
a 1988 1640 won`t go 20 miles an hour so you`d be looking at about a 15 hour day plus I`m not sure you could do it on one tank of fuel. I`d have it hauled you don`t know what shape it is inside unless you have service records I`d hate to break down along the road. But you could road it that far, combines drive all over the world these days, be safe

·
Registered
521 Posts
In my opinion, it would NOT be worth the risk and time and wear to drive it home. Even at $750 to have it hauled, that amount is relatively small compared to what could happen to the machine, the b.s. factor, blah blah blah...

If it were me, I would have it hauled.

Edit** After reading the post below mine, I wanted to ask you, blkeele, what the laws were in your state regarding farm machinery? In Texas, the law completely favor the farmer! I know that I could drive my combine right down the middle of the road and hold-up traffic behind me if I had the mind to do so. I wouldn't do that (I would get over when I could), but the law is on my (the farmer's) side. My CIH dealer showed me the [law] book once (quite a long time ago), and I was kind of shocked how it read.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A few years ago a guy in the Peace River region of northeastern British Columbia drove his 860 Massey to Ottawa, Ontario to protest the federal government's farm policies - I think he covered about 3,000 miles or so. I heard he used it a few more years then it was retired to a museum. I think he called his combine the "Prairie Belle" or something. If you have decent open roads driving a combine 200 miles wouldn't be that bad but if your area has narrow, hilly roads I wouldn't risk it. I suppose you wouldn"t get much appreciation if you drove it down an interstate, would you?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not even considering driving the thing home. It's got enough hours on it already, I don't want to add another 200 miles worth on it. It will be on a lowboy next week, I hope! The laws around here are about the same as in Texas. Farm machinery rule the roads!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts