The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On one of our 3 9860 premiums we are having problems with the belts(27) coming off of the drive idler(23). We have had this machine for 3 seasons with no problems. Had dealer come and check everything during season and it didn't help. Everything is running True and straight. Combine is at dealer for inspection and they still can't find anything wrong. I used 5 sets of belts this year.Anyone else have any idea as what could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
The same thing happened to me twice on a 9870 but the feed acc belt was shot and had flatspots at the time. We replaced the drive belts(27) and the feed acc belt and no more problems.

·
Registered
585 Posts
maybe tensioner is not tight enough....never had that problem, but that would be the first thing i check. probably pointless me posting this cuz that is most likely the first thing u checked.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Where are the belts running on the idler pulley(22)? Off to one side a bit? Do you notice the idler bouncing when it's running more so than the other combines? Is there something binding on the feed accelerator or shaker shoe/conveyor auger belt that is causing load surges? Maybe try over tightening the tensioner a bit. Spring could be weak.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
It may just be designed poorly. You were pushing harder this year.

On one of the first days available for bean harvest this fall (while the stems were still green), a local dealer sold all 8 accelerator belts in stock, and a couple of guys were left waiting for supplies.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried running the tension a little overtightened and a little loose, didn't seen to help. Never changed the accelerator belt though, it seems to be OK, but I'll give it a try. We shimmed the idler so the belt was tracking in about half inch.

I would leave my service lights on at night so i could keep an eye on it when swath was full of lumps, never once did i see it fly off. Sometimes I thought I had made it through the day without it happening only to see it when i was fueling up at home. Was sure I had checked it towards end of day.

Thanks for your input guys, anything might help, be it the silliest little thing. So throw it at me even if it should be quite obvious i probably checked it

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Could be the tensioner arm(11),ours is a little bent,didnt have any issues though.I know the dealership in Kelvington/Saskatchewan is welding little plates on those arms to reinforce them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
bushings in the idler maybe worn, on each end there is a seal to keep dirt out those seals give problems a times and could be giving you grieve

·
Registered
479 Posts
I agree and bet there is cracks on the back side of bracket had a similar problem on the knife drive on a 936d header.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Idler pulley is green in color. #43 is a new bracket with new seals. the hub( not shown in this pic) that holds #23 had bearings and seals replaced 1 year ago. I'm gonna strip everything off next year and inspect every little piece. thanks for your input. If you think of anything else let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
To look at the parts pictor with out know a sts but reading the post and been on the tools for way to long I would be having a good look at mount 43# for wear on opposite sides line the arm/bushs 29# are on a angle and not holding the belt tensioner square when it is working. What are the idle pullys like (22#)?

Madsnake
PS great idea how you have the parts pic att to your post tells a story in itself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts