The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious of what others feelings are on how many acres per foot to get crop in on a "normal" year? Last year with 40 ft tool I was at 67 and got crop in with some struggles at the end due to the wet spring we all experienced. With farm expansion next year will be at 82. Contemplating getting bigger tool to avoid pushing acres/day and keeping 450 bus tank. Thoughts?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm over 80 acres/foot. However, I believe that it isn't the footage, but efficiency of the unit.
Applied nh3 in the fall, so not handling as much fertilizer. All seed and fertilizer are in the yard before break-up. 2 Operators that switch roles, i.e. 1 will run a morning stint while the other loads trucks and then switches for the rest of the day. Doing as much as you can in the least amount of time while drill is stopped.

I try to seed 6.5-7 acres per foot per day. Drill runs 16-18 hours each day.

·
Registered
618 Posts
We have been at 100ac/ft for several years, and can be done well with some planning and longer days with more than one operator. It gets challenging when (usually is) the window is compressed with wet weather. Have been up to 125ac/ft, but only did that for one year! Now at 50ac/ft with addition of another drill, but there is a lot more logistics getting product to two units. I would be very comfortable at ~85ac/ft with one unit and slightly less with two, as we didn't double the manpower.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Really depends on labour and field conditions.

Have you considered another or bigger tank. Going with wider drill just means your fill times are closer together. I know that's my next step if I need to increase efficiencies more.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
59 ac/ft of drill. NH3 in the fall. 550bu tank for seed, PK blend, tiger90. Seed and tiger90 in the yard ahead of time. 1 man on the drill and for filling cart. 2 more do spraying, fill trucks, move trucks, fuel, plant soys, etc.

Andrew

·
Registered
869 Posts
We were at 91ac/ft with one drill and two operators running about 20 hrs a day. Now 2 drills at 50 ac/ft with one operator on each drill and it's a little faster but now I'm thinking about going back to one bigger drill(70ac/ft) with 2 operators it's easier to keep going and takes 2 less guys to keep going smoothly.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Of course different countries but I will be at 141 this coming season. I used to think 100 was luxury. I know of someone that was in the 360 range, running three 8 hour shifts.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Where you are farming dictates more than anything. We want to get everything seeded in 12 days or less. Because that's all we get sometimes when the snow dosent melt until May and it rains may long weekend and we can't get back in the fields till the middle of June. And we get snow in October 90% of the time. Two years ago we had snow on the ground almost 7 months straight.

·
Registered
285 Posts
98 acres/ft all fert applied at seeding. Have to agree if your organized and have your logistics in order you can really push your acres/foot. Know some operators doing 135ac/ft all fert in spring but that is pushing it around here, the last few years anyways.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.