The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Adam Heitzig. I'm 20 years old and live About 40 miles north of St. Louis, in Illinois. Our family farm consists of about 3200 acres of corn and soybean rotation, with about 40-50 acres of wheat each year. I am currently going to Lake Land College for there John Deere Ag Tech program and am enjoying myself. It is a fast paced program that goes through all of John Deeres required classes and also lets you graduate with a assoicates degree. This fall i am planning on transfering to Southern Illinois University and major in Ag Systems Technology. One Day i hope to work for John Deere Company for Product Support or Devlopment.

Anyway, in class we are in Advanced Electrical. I snapped a few pics of the machines we are working on. Almost all the Machines you see are new machines lent to us by John Deere. The rest are machines used by the colleges farm.

This is a cab to test electrical malfunctions

One of the first 7000's, pre production

Just a Cab and an engine...not much else!

I hope you enjoy this and if you have any questions, let me know...Jumpy

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yesterday i took a position with Danielski's running a combine...i don't have any pics, but i'm sure ill have lots by the time im done.

School has been school lately...has been snowing about an inch every 3 or 4 days and melting just in time for the next batch.

I only have 2 more weeks of classroom study left, then i'm off to the dealership for a 8 week final intership.

Here are some pics i took at the Farm progress show this summer to help with the cabin fever.

Very impressive...wish there was more dealer support in my area

Me in a chevy...yah, i'd drive it

The tallest tire...and the prettiest girl at the show...(had to say that she's watching my every move)

One big auger

Me in a gleaner...no it had to have been photoshopped

But, seriously, i did like the "pegs" That the gleaner had....would keep your feet off the glass and keep it cleaner...so if someone from mother deere is reading....FOOT PEGS

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Tuesday was my final day of "official" class. We left wensday afternoon for Springfield, MO to tour the ReGen plant where John Deere engines are remanufactured. It was a very interesting tour and they even had a boat anchor sitting there (John Deere V-8 Diesel)
. They told us the list on that engine was between $35,000 and $40,000. It was a special order...

Anyway i was told i could take pictures by one guy and the next guy i saw made me delete everything inside the plant...

so i got a couple outside...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Planting time

Well its april 1st....

TIME TO HIT THE FIELDS!!!

Pulled the 4440 and planter out of the shed, fueled up and headed for the field

Hahaha...April fools...

If i pulled the planter in the field it would be up to the cab in mud...we have had better than 2 inches of rain in 24 hours on top of the 5-6 inches we had a week and a half ago...

Bitting at the bit,

ada

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well today is april 10th...most of the time we have a good start on getting our corn planted. However, it is one of the wettest springs i can remember. It is so wet, a town by the river is having mudslide problems (Grafton, IL and is also the meeting place for what?)

Also earlier this week our "new" to us 9760sts came in. It has low hours (302 engine and 213 sep) I snapped some pics at work today between thunderstorms.

If you look closely in the last picture you can catch a glimse of our new service truck at work. Its a F550 with the 7.3 powerstroke diesel. It has a crane, compressor, and welder/generator...none of our other trucks have any of these things. I will try to take some pics if the weather clears up tommrow....

Can't wait to play in the dirt,
jumpy

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This weekend i helped a friend of mine take the feeder house off of there 9500 and put in a set of cylinder bars. They weren't as wore as predicted, but there were a few with a slight bend in them, so we put the new bars in anyway. Today the weather is sunny and supposed to be up in the 70's by mid week.

Also, what i believe to be the handiest thing on earth...it made reaching in the cylinder to get to the inside bolts a breeze...If anyone dosen't have a cordless impact, i would get one. They have enough toqure to do most any job.

be safe out there,
adam

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not much to report here...The ground is still plenty wet and no field work going on here.

I went four wheeling today in Litchfield with some friends from college. It was a beautiful day here and a perfect day for some ridding.

I found some morel mushrooms last friday and dad found a bunch more today. We fried them up and they were great.

It is also turkey season here and my uncle got to tom turkeys this morning with one shot...pretty cool. One bird weighed 25lbs and the other 27.

The weather forcaster is perdicting that it is going to rain again mid week. If that does happen, we will not be in the fields before the first of May. I think i am going to drag the old 6 row 7200 out of the shed and take the row units to work with me tommorw and get them in tip top shape cause we are going to run 3 planters if it will ever dry up.

from the swamp,
adam

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my weekly blog update....more rain

It snowed, hailed, rained, and sleeted yesterday morning, followed by a frost last night. No wheels turning around here....Maybe tommorw or the next day we might get some spraying done.

I went to the girly's triatholon this sunday in Sullivan Il ( I am a side liner, not my kind of thing.) However she did get me on a mountain bike for a bit...(hahaha get your laughs in)

Everyone was in the fields over there and hitting it hard. I talked to her ealier tonight and she said they were going again, regardless of the cooler temps.

My perdictions...if the weather warms up and it doesn't rain before the weekend we will be putting it in the ground.

Hope everyone is getting along good
adam[

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i'm all packed up...leaving for Valentine Nebraska to meet up with Danielaski's as soon as i finish this post. I wish everyone good luck out on harvest.

adam

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am currently in Dodge City Kansas waiting for the wheat to dry. We finished up in Alva Ok. on saturday with about 12,000 acres between 12 machines. The wheat did very well with all yeilds above 40 and one field in perticular had several spots well over 90bpa. we have 7,000 acres to cut in Ford Ks. then we are off to leota ks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts