The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
This has surfaced recently in the UK:

Adblue Problems? | Adblue Faults? | Adblue Removal Service!

Don't yet know of any short/mid/long term consequences, or whether it is:

legal

economical

ecological

ethical
Probably not

Yes

Marginally not

Don't care
Governments and industry didn't care when operators were forced to deal with all crap the that came about with the implementation of this junk, I sure as **** don't care about ridding myself of it.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
My DEF/AdBlue cost this year was $.24 per acre. Warranty covers repairs for several years. The article makes it sound like it's a huge expense.
I used .13 litres acre =$0.18 acre. 2/3 of my crop was stripped so combine didn't work to hard. And yes I didn't find DEF a inconvenience. I would probably hate it if I had to use it in the winter. This last cold spell there was dead semis over every hill. Owning a big tow truck would be like owning a morgue these days, you would never run out of customers.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I have to wonder how they keep the tow trucks themselves running ;)

This summer while standing in Peterbilt a customer in front of myself who was doing some engine repairs on the engine of a unit that dated back a few years, gave me an ear full about a few of his trucker buddies having horrid problems with the DEF design system of a competitor truck brand. That exact comment was said about "oh well warranty will cover it" as he pointed out warranty was not covering the engines that were blowing up due to a mysterious cross over of DEF getting into the fuel system and ruining the pump/injectors and destroying the engine. This on a truck that the manufacture makes most if not all components from one end to the other of the truck ( I better not name the brand of the truck as I know of one person on here who will flip a lid :D ). But it just pointed out that there are some very expensive operating expenses for trucks in this example all due to pollution controls and we end up paying for jacked up hauling rates to cover it so the truckers can afford to deal with all this crap.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You got feed a line there. DEF and fuel systems are not tied together on anything. If there is DEF in the fuel system, then some idiot put it in the fuel tank.

you are absolutely right, the comments made by people that def got in the fuel and ruined their engine is someone who has no idea how the system works! :rolleyes: we've ran def on our two semi's since 2012 trouble free. It isn't as bad as coffee shop talk makes it out to be.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I may have been fed a line but it just seemed odd that one truck branded system was reportedly giving this problem and multiple failures, apparently the same info is floating around the internet so either its a growing story or somewhere has some real basis.

However I was doing a search and came up with many pickup truck owners and a few highway tractor owners that admitted they had poured DEF into the fuel and the horrors that followed. Ford due to their setup with the two fillers so close together seemed to be high on the list of being screwed up but of course that is owners making the mistakes and not the equipment in those cases. One pickup owner said his wife had filled up at a station and grabbed the DEF hose and it put in four liters until it shut off ... she had no clue what she had done, grabbed another nozzle and continued to fuel up the truck. Some reported that their insurance covered their own stupidity while other insurance companies didn't as warranty sure doesn't cover the idiot factor!. Definitely room for error though and my guess is that "city folk" are the brunt of the screw ups as some people can be so clueless as to what they even bought and are driving.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I may have been fed a line but it just seemed odd that one truck branded system was reportedly giving this problem and multiple failures, apparently the same info is floating around the internet so either its a growing story or somewhere has some real basis.
That's how urban legends get started. If its on the internet it must be true.

Again....THE DEF AND FUEL SYSTEMS ARE NOT CONNECTED ON ANYTHING. Its like saying your car has a mysterious crossover between the coolant and brake fluid.

What truck brand is reporting this problem? I'd like to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.