The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
we used to do it once in a while at the dealership when I was young, been a long time so I don't remember all the exact things but over all it wasn't that bad. just take your time and follow the directions that come with the kit.
unless you are getting used

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Although I haven't personally put one on so I can't help you out in that way unfortunately, we did have new Mudhog's put on two different 9600's over the years. One combine was done out here on the farm years ago as the mechanic came out with the kit and put it on in a day with a helper and since it had the adjustable rear axle the steering ram points to the axle just had to be rebolted where it had the proper stroke for left/right ( another words centered within the rams stroke when the combine wheels were straight ahead ).

The other 9600 has the non adjustable axle and we had it in at the dealer to have the unit installed and it seemed all experts were not to be found in the shop anymore and they certainly put the wrong guy on the job even though he claimed he had put a kit on some years back. Total gong show because he had to cut the axle ears off for the inner ends of the steering rams as per instructions and then he seemed to have no clue where to weld them on and tacked them in the wrong spots, they had to get a certified welder to come in and actually weld them on so the did that. They said it was all ready to go and my brother was at the dealer and tried it out in the yard as the trucker came to load it up and both agreed that they royally screwed up in getting it right .... it literally took 40 acres to turn it around, what a joke. So they kicked the mechanic off the job who had done this and the head mechanic took it over and had to cut off the tabs and start over and he disconnected all the steering hoses and had the axle/tires up in the air so he could move it back and forth and figure all this out to get the tabs welded on in the right spot and that included me taking many photos and measurements of our unit at home to bring to the dealer to help him get on track with ram stroke and how the steering stops are to function. The whole thing was far more of a production then it should have been and one pile of shop hours that we swallowed some of and they did as well. The end result was good though, very pleased with how they perform and actually have rice tires on the rear and front of both combines. They are unstoppable in our clay hard pan type ground.

I didn't write this to discourage you though, if you have a bit of mechanical skill and some tools to work with it, jack and jack stands to prop both ends of the axle up securely and perhaps a engine hoist type unit on wheels to hold up each power wheel unit as they are heavy to hold by hand, no doubt you can do it yourself with some instructions included for hooking up the hydraulics to the hydrostatics and so on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.