The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Depends on how much you plan on putting on and what way ex: dribble on top behind closing wheels, in furrow, 2x2 openers. We do not use starter on our planter. We do put down 170lbs of NH3 then an additional 30lbs nitrogen through sprayer with harness extra after we plant.
A few neighbors went away from starter saying they hadn’t seen enough bump for the cost and hassle it involves.
granted the ones who use starter come up greener but when ours hits the NH3 it catches up.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Putting a little 10-34 in the seed row seems to help things out early, especially if things are on the cold side. It seems to me that you can see this when you look at how planters are set up regionally. The majority of planters in SD and ND seem to have liquid kits. Once you move into the "I" states it seems to be more of a mix.

I've seen a lot of guys try other products and eventually come back to simply 10-34. Just be careful on seed burn. We used to us 7gal, but have backed in off to 4

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Anyone here has not seen consistent enough results to justify screwing with it. I apply 140# N through manure or NH3 and side dress 60-70# 32%. Split applying nitrogen pays dividends well above starter for me.

·
Premium Member
8,182 Posts
Putting a little 10-34 in the seed row seems to help things out early, especially if things are on the cold side. It seems to me that you can see this when you look at how planters are set up regionally. The majority of planters in SD and ND seem to have liquid kits. Once you move into the "I" states it seems to be more of a mix.

I've seen a lot of guys try other products and eventually come back to simply 10-34. Just be careful on seed burn. We used to us 7gal, but have backed in off to 4
What row spacing was the 7 gal on? I'm planting this year on 15" spacing and was thinking on going with 6 US gal/acre. I wanted to get an air kit on there and pull a small air tank behind for 11-52 with corn and granular inoculant on the soybeans. Never got time for that project, maybe next winter. I personally dislike all liquids.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
What row spacing was the 7 gal on? I'm planting this year on 15" spacing and was thinking on going with 6 US gal/acre. I wanted to get an air kit on there and pull a small air tank behind for 11-52 with corn and granular inoculant on the soybeans. Never got time for that project, maybe next winter. I personally dislike all liquids.
You doing all 15" corn or a side by side trial? Or did you side by side last year?

·
Premium Member
8,182 Posts
You doing all 15" corn or a side by side trial? Or did you side by side last year?
No trial so far, this is as much about weed control as it is about yield. I might do a few passes on 30" and see how it compares.

I bought a White planter, figured you would like that.;)(y)

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
No trial so far, this is as much about weed control as it is about yield. I might do a few passes on 30" and see how it compares.

I bought a White planter, figured you would like that.;)(y)
I thought you had a White!? I can't keep up with your purchases!

Did you get old school White with the ultra simple positive pressure meter or the precision planting one?

I'm a fan of old school.

·
Registered
396 Posts
7 gal was on 30”. I think 6gal on 15” would be no problem.
I like the air tank and 11-52 idea. However, even if we had that setup, I would still put inoculant down with the liquid system.
We used granular for years when we drilled soys. Putting liquid down with the planter is way easier for me. And it’s quite a bit cheaper.

·
Premium Member
8,182 Posts
I thought you had a White!? I can't keep up with your purchases!

Did you get old school White with the ultra simple positive pressure meter or the precision planting one?

I'm a fan of old school.
I used to own a Great Plains, that's the one you were supposed to come up and help adjust the disc shims on.;) Then had my planting custom done with a 1240 CaseIH with PP meters, then a Horsch Maestro, now back to owning my own unit.

I got an old school meter. What plate do you use for corn on the White? I think I have two here.

DDF I have had mixed results with liquid on the soybeans, but so far it's all been virgin ground. This year the soys are on ground for the second time(4 years ago), should help.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I used to own a Great Plains, that's the one you were supposed to come up and help adjust the disc shims on.;) Then had my planting custom done with a 1240 CaseIH with PP meters, then a Horsch Maestro, now back to owning my own unit.

I got an old school meter. What plate do you use for corn on the White? I think I have two here.
I was on my way up to help shim but this whole COVID19 thing has made a mess out of things... yeah, that's my three year late excuse...

Last year I planted all my corn with the small plate. I intend to attempt to do the same this year. Good thing is switching plates is pretty quick, just annoying. 95% of the time air pressure adjustment solves your issues. I'll get plate numbers so we're on the same page with small, medium, large plates.

·
Premium Member
8,182 Posts
I was on my way up to help shim but this whole COVID19 thing has made a mess out of things... yeah, that's my three year late excuse...

Last year I planted all my corn with the small plate. I intend to attempt to do the same this year. Good thing is switching plates is pretty quick, just annoying. 95% of the time air pressure adjustment solves your issues. I'll get plate numbers so we're on the same page with small, medium, large plates.
I'm sure you had other things on the go as well. Probably a better chance of me making it down there to tour the Sukup factory if we are ever allowed to travel again...:rolleyes:

Looks like I have a set of 852435 and 852436 plates, hopefully one of those is the one.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I'm sure you had other things on the go as well. Probably a better chance of me making it down there to tour the Sukup factory if we are ever allowed to travel again...:rolleyes:

Looks like I have a set of 852435 and 852436 plates, hopefully one of those is the one.
Good timing, just got a chance to look at them. 852435 is the medium plate, 852436 is the small plate. I'd start witht eh small plate, I've planted corn with bag weight up to 60# with the small plate and achieved near 100% singulation with no skips or doubles.

Don't know what your're running for a monitor but small flats can really screw with things. If the population is working out and looks good digging keep planting.

·
Premium Member
8,182 Posts
Good timing, just got a chance to look at them. 852435 is the medium plate, 852436 is the small plate. I'd start witht eh small plate, I've planted corn with bag weight up to 60# with the small plate and achieved near 100% singulation with no skips or doubles.

Don't know what your're running for a monitor but small flats can really screw with things. If the population is working out and looks good digging keep planting.
Okay thanks for the info. I have an X30 monitor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts