The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 800 JD swather (yea, I know...they are STILL out there...) that is equipped with a 225 slant six Chrysler engine. Last nite on the hills the governor was having troubling keeping the engine from over-revving on the down hill side. Oddly enough it seemed to work pretty good lugging up on the uphill. Is there something I can adjust to improve this, or is this just a sign that I have bigger problems on the horizon?

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
There are adjustments that can be made, however, normally I won't touch one unless it is having trouble holding power or running evenly, in other words, if it aint broke don't mess with it;) It is common for them to overspeed some when descending a hill, and unless it is a lot, I wouldn't get too worried about it.
How does it run the rest of the time, any surging? Possibly you have some wear in the linkage to the carb.
I can dig up the settings if you really need them. As already said, check the oil level.
Look after that governor, those Pierce governors aren't built anymore, new ones are getting really rare:(

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never had to add any oil to the governor... it's always right up when I check it, but maybe it's time to drain it and refill. I'll try that first. I do have another parts machine but I know I can't switch the governors (or the carbs for that matter) without readjusting the settings, so if you can dig up those settings, that would be really helpful. I fully appreciate the "if it ain't broke" advice (it's not surging), but this seems to be getting worse instead of better. One thing I did do was change all the drive belts, so the new belts may have had the same effect as raising the gear ratio it's working against.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.