The Combine Forum banner
141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone ever had a knock develop when switching over to SG position?
I've got an 8010 with 3500hrs and when moving the spacer and top linkage as per the drawing torriem posted on the first page of this thread, I get this darn knock, turned it by hand of course.
Lower frame of shoe has a sheet metal part welded on to hold a plastic seal just above the big shoe drive pulley, and that part lowers too far during the forward stroke and contacts the combine frame, barely but solidly . The left side clears by a hair. When I switch them back to CB position , the knock is gone. Also did you guys have the shoe drive pulley in Neutral position when tightening the hardware for the rubber bushings on both ends of that shaker arm ? Any replies would be appreciated .
Cheers.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Been a long time since I did it, but I recall doing it in the neutral position. I think that's what the documentation said to do. Could be wrong.

No knocks on either of my machines. I did run a few complete strokes by hand before to make sure there was no interference and found none. I would be hesitant to run it with a knock like you describe. That will likely crack something if you can't figure out how to keep it from hitting. Can you take a picture of where it's hitting? Can you grind or modify the sheet metal? I'll have a look at my machine tomorrow to see if I can see anything coming close.

If you saw the thread about the combine clinic, the person instructing went on at some length about how you should never adjust this and it's only for new holland. Said it would break sieves on the red machines (and in your case it might if we can't figure out what's going on). Yet later in the video they were showing service points and the combine they were showing had the sieve in the small grains position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I could easily trim that corner so it doesn't hit , but based on the other machines in CB position there should be about 1/4 to 1/8'' of daylight between the frame and the shoe on the lowest end of the stroke. Based on my service manual my guess is its in the timing .

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
So while harvesting canola this year, I’m noticing I have more sieve loss when going downhill vs going uphill. I’m wondering if that is because I have my sieve arms in the small grains position? I guess I could swap them back to CB and find out but that’s a hassle to do during harvest.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I could easily trim that corner so it doesn't hit , but based on the other machines in CB position there should be about 1/4 to 1/8'' of daylight between the frame and the shoe on the lowest end of the stroke. Based on my service manual my guess is its in the timing .
Can the cams on each side of the combine be adjusted separately? Maybe they are not in sync.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I would take a look at all your bushings on the shaker arms. There are 2 arms 4 bushings up in the front that have probably never been replaced. I don't think you can mess up the eccentrics. They are keyed on the cross shaft. I would loosen the bolts on the arms and rotate it a few times by hand then lock it at the neutral point and tighten them up. See if that helps.

I've noticed on our 8120s they are getting side to side play in the shoe. Haven't looked into that or noticed if they always had it. Might hit on one side if it isn't centered?

You sure you are losing canola going downhill or is it just more stalks hitting the sensor that maybe don't make it to the spreaders?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Has anyone ever had a knock develop when switching over to SG position?
I've got an 8010 with 3500hrs and when moving the spacer and top linkage as per the drawing torriem posted on the first page of this thread, I get this darn knock, turned it by hand of course.
What year is your 8010? I started doing some research into mine as it doesn’t have the blocks and is a 2004 and case listed the block on the website as enhanced cleaning which made me curious. Then I looked into it and found out they changed up the cleaning system in 2006.
So I started looking through different parts manuals and found that the enhanced cleaning system has some different arm lengths and shapes in certain parts of the system.
Also found out they used to sell a kit to convert them over but they discontinued it, so I’m not sure exactly would need to be changed.
My guess is that block is only supposed to work if you have the newer arms and such, since it’s also listed as enhanced cleaning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What year is your 8010? I started doing some research into mine as it doesn’t have the blocks and is a 2004 and case listed the block on the website as enhanced cleaning which made me curious. Then I looked into it and found out they changed up the cleaning system in 2006.
So I started looking through different parts manuals and found that the enhanced cleaning system has some different arm lengths and shapes in certain parts of the system.
Also found out they used to sell a kit to convert them over but they discontinued it, so I’m not sure exactly would need to be changed.
My guess is that block is only supposed to work if you have the newer arms and such, since it’s also listed as enhanced cleaning.
Its a 2008, and yeah I went through the technical manuals , heck even the operators manual spec sheet clearly states there are 2 positions the rear shaker arm for the upper shoe can be in.
The technical manual gives both options , pick or choose , nothing is done differently except properly moving the arm .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wonder why they would put the block on on those older machines.

Did you ever figure things out, @M475?
I have not , I guess when everything started coming at me at once , I left the things that weren't broken alone .. Haha, I will be doing a shoe overhaul on this puppy, Its all pretty worn , and then Ill go from there .

141 - 151 of 151 Posts