The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering putting Dutch paired row openers on my 8810 Bourgault with 10 inch spacing. I think I want the 3.5 inch openers to make the spacing down to around 7-8 inches, I found we had better crops with the 8 inch spacing. The drill only has 3 inch gang packers so will they be wide enough for those openers? The Dutch website recommends 4 inch packers. What do those openers cost roughly? Are they harder to pull ? We currently have 3/4 inch openers and use mid-rowbanders so not sure what the difference would be to pull with wider openers but without the mid-rows, would put the NH3 down with the opener. I almost think it might be cheaper to trade the dill on something else by the time I change the openers and possibly the packers? Any advice?

·
Registered
676 Posts
For my drill dutch openers are $200 per shank. I believe the packers should be wider than the openers, like 3" openers need 3 1/2 packers. As far as pulling between mid rows and double shoot I can only guess that the double shoots should pull easier.

·
Banned
57 Posts
I might have used set of Dutch Universal Series openers with paired row for sale. I used them on Case Concord air drill. They do a paired row 3.5 inches apart. They are a excellent boot and do a nice job in cereals and canola but they are expensive. Mine are the welded steel boot and are a lot stronger then cast ones. We are switching to a paralink drill so no longer need drill or boots.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would those work OK with 3 inch packers or would it leave it pretty rough? Do they have the NH3 tube as well and how many?

·
Banned
57 Posts
Kevlar I sent you a couple of private messages. I would be concerned about putting NH3 down so close to the seed but I am not a expert on that. we use dry and put it all down with one pass seeding. I think a 3.5" paired row would be a little wide for 3inch packers. My Concord uses a 165mm [6inch?] radial car tire for packing and we like packing job it does

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also like to see the packer wider than the opener. I feel it's important to put pressure on your seed. The seeds should end up right at the edge of the opener. I use 4 1/2 inch openers with a 5 1/2 inch packer on 10 inch spacing. I like the seed bed utilization. We are In an area where moisture isn't as much of a concern. I used to have openers with nh3 in the middle and was putting down all my n that way, when I bought some sandier land I had mayor seed burn. That was the last year I used nh3.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I HAVE 60 double shoot Dutch universal series 3.5 paired row, 3/8 open bottom,
off a CIH/Concord ATX 400 ... one year old, like new!

made for the newer edge on shank- u can get adapters if your drill has older c-shank assemblies

bodies-points-fert tubes.... take all 60, 5000$

openers are still on the drill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.